Pink Floyd - The Guide to Recording Variations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hulloder72, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident Thread Starter

JulesRules likes this.
  2. hulloder72

Any news...??

:shh:

3. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

bhazen likes this.
  4. hulloder72

Thanks!!

Thanks, I knew this site but I had never seen in depth, it seems really huge.
    Do you know if they are given only different tracks?
    Or do I have to see it all discographies?
    thanks again

5. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

If there is a difference its noted but not as a song by song analysis

Its releases by country so you'd have to compare them that way.

6. hulloder72

I see.

It 'a huge job.

I wrote to the author of that great site to see if he has such a list.

7. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

8. hulloder72

Thanks Easy-E!

9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Off the top of head I can think of a few (with a bit of help from the good folks at Wikipedia :) )

The single of ABITW is slightly different than the album track - its the same recording but has a short 4-bar rhythm guitar and drum intro before the initial lyric and fades out earlier—ending after approximately 3 minutes 11 seconds rather than the album tracks 3.54.

Not Now John - the single has "Stop all that ..." rather than the "F*** all that " on the album.

There is a short instrumental played by Snowy White on the 8 track of Animals between parts 1 and 2 of Pigs on the Wing.

When the Tigers Broke Free has 2 versions - the single released in 1980 and the track that is on Echoes.

"It was generally released on CD on Pink Floyd's 2001 compilation album Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd.[8] With a duration of 3:42, this version is longer than the single release and features an extended intro section. There is less percussion heard in the Echoes mix, but the male choir comes in much earlier than it does in the single version.

The next time the song appeared was on the 2004 re-released, remastered version of The Final Cut, where it was placed between "One of the Few" and "The Hero's Return", this time an edited version of 3:16. This mix is similar to that of the Echoes version, but with a shorter intro."

Ill add more when I think of them :)

turnersmemo likes this.
  10. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Some additions:

- an otherwise unavailable extended Take It Back (7'06") on a 1-track French promo CD;
    - Young Lust with an instrumental intro and a "clean" ending, from an Italian promo 7";
    - Alternate (early) version of Matilda Mother, "underdub" edit version of Interstellar Overdrive and stereo version of Apples And Oranges on the "Piper..." 40th anniversary box;
    - an alternate mix of Flaming, released as a single in the US (on Tower);
    - single (non-UK) edits of One Of These Days, Free Four, Time. Us And Them, Let There Be More Light, Remember A Day, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb.
    - fake stereo mixes of Arnold Layne and See Emily Play and quadrophonic mixes of Brain Damage and Eclipse on the Works compilation;
    - The Hero's Return with a "Part 2" added (should have been on the 2004 remaster AFAIC);
    - the re-recording of Money from 1981.

From the top of my head. There's more, no doubt.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It's often thought (maybe even by the band themselves?) that the version on the Echoes comp was the single version. But it's not, as you rightly point out. The original (from 1982, not 1980) is on CD however, but only on a Roger Waters promo, The Wall - Berlin 90.

Easy-E likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There's quite a few variations and bits. I suggest you look up A Treeful Of Secrets. Beyond that, you'll also want to make note that Dark Side Of The Moon, Atom Heart Mother, and Wish You Were Here were released in QUAD, and Piper and Saucerful Of Secrets were released in Mono.

I'm gonna now attempt a short list of my own, though, just for giggles:

(ALL TRACKS IN THIS SECTION ON PIPER 40th ANNIVERSARY, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED)
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Mono and Stereo)
    Arnold Layne Mono (and fake Stereo, available on Works)
    Candy And A Currant Bun mono
    See Emily Play mono (and fake stereo, on Works)
    Apples And Oranges, mono, (and true stereo, available untrimmed on Piper 40th anniversary, trimmed on earlier releases)
    Paint Box mono, and true stereo on Relics
    Interstellar Overdrive french EP edit
    Matilda Mother alternate version (and longer remix on An Introduction to Syd Barrett)
    Interstellar Overdrive take 6

A Saucerful Of Secrets (mono and stereo)
    It Would Be So Nice mono (on CD from Shine On set), and fake stereo on Masters Of Rock
    Julia Dream mono (on CD from Shine On set) and stereo (on Relics)
    Point Me At The Sky mono (on Shine On set)
    Careful With That Axe Eugene mono (on CD from Shine On set) and stereo (on Relics)

Biding My Time (on Relics)
    Embryo (on CD from Works)

Atom Heart Mother (stereo, and Quad)

Dark Side Of The Moon (stereo, and Quad)
    26 bonus tracks (live, outtakes, alternate mixes) from Immersion Edition
    Money (rerecording from A Collection Of Great Dance Songs)

Wish You Were Here (stereo and quad)
    6 bonus tracks from Experience and Immersion editions

Pigs On The Wing with Snowy White guitar bridge (original mix on Animals 8 track, alternate mix on Goldtop Group & Sessions CD, by Snowy White)

The Wall
    64 bonus tracks (all on Immersion edition, some on Experience)
    Young Lust full intro on single
    Run Like Hell clean intro and outro, on Off The Wall promo
    Another Brick In The Wall II, clean intro, available on various sources with various edits, best recommendation is from A Collection Of Great Dance Songs
    Bring The Boys Back Home alternate version, b-side to When The Tigers Broke Free

The Final Cut
    The Here's Return (single version listed as The Hero's Return Pts 1 & 2, part two being an exclusive reprise)
    Not Now John (single version with additional overdub to obscure "obscene" lyric)
    When The Tigers Broke Free - original single mix, available on CD via Roger Waters promo "The Wall - Berlin 90", alternate edit/mix on Echoes Compilation, similar version (but different edit) on all recent editions of The Final Cut.

Run Like Hell & On The Turning Away (exclusive live versions on On The Turning Away single)
    Dogs Of War (exclusive live version on One Slip single)
    Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell (exclusive live versions on Knebworth '90 album)

Wearing The Inside Out, alternate edit on original Division Bell vinyl (NOT THE NEW VERSION)
    Take It Back extended edition on French promo

P*U*L*S*E cassette edition with One Of These Days and Soundscape
    Astronomy Domine live from Take It Back single
    One Of These Days live (different version) from High Hopes single

in addition to the listings above, the Works album contains a few more "exclusives"
    different edit of One Of These Days using Speak To Me in intro
    edit of Fearless
    Brain Damage and Eclipse appear in stereo, but are fold-downs of the Quad mix, not the original stereo.
    for these reasons, and the other 3 mentioned earlier, I consider Works an essential to own album for Pink Floyd

numerous other edits that simply excise portions of songs exist on singles. The compilation Echoes also features edits and exclusive cross-fades.

I do believe that covers it. Flaming is sometimes listed with an additional single mix, and there is a supposed alternate mix of Jugband Blues. Hope this comes in handy!!!!

13. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Perfect :)

14. revolution_vanderbilt

thanks! This comes from me looking at my collection, a collection built from research done mainly by looking at a Treeful Of Secrets, along with reading through many discographies (for example, I believe Treeful misses the Knebworth tracks, which btw are now on iTunes)

One thing I like is that for More, Obscured By Clouds, and Meddle, there is nothing (discounting simple edits and unreleased) beyond the albums. Nice and neat. Piper is also neat and tidy, aside from the fake stereo (on Works, which again is a CD I recommend anyone interested in all variations should have!) and that one remix which was done after the release. For the most part though, the Floyd's catalog is not too messy. If you get all their studio albums, plus Works and Relics, you'd only be missing one title, and that would be It Would Be So Nice. Beyond that, everything is an alternate mix, or a live version. All stuff that I have and is fun to collect, but certainly ephemera, not essential. And then the ephemera is not overwhelming, and indeed, as my listing and as Treeful shows, is not difficult to obtain.

Hattipper likes this.
  15. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Exactly - hopefully the OP appreciates your list - very comprehensive and not too hard to achieve :)

Hattipper likes this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

and, I think, if you get all the albums in their most expanded editions, and you get Treeful Of Secrets (if you go that route, which I certainly did) then all you'll be missing are the 3 Quad albums, Saucerful in mono, and the 2 Knebworth cuts.

17. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Isn't there some sort of version of Shine on You Crazy Diamond that combines parts of side one and side two together, although not all of both. I think it was on "A Collection of Great Dance Songs."

18. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

I always thought the Not Now John radio edit was "STUFF all that,' not "STOP all that..."

19. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

I think both "Dance Songs" and "Echoes" have versions like that, but neither are complete...?

20. floyd

floyd Senior Member

it is "stuff"

Easy-E and ProgDave74 like this.
  21. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Excellent list! I would like to add:

Music From the Body soundtrack
    - The album's final track, Give Birth to a Smile, features all four members of Pink Floyd

Zabriskie Point soundtrack (1997 extended re-release) contains the following Pink Floyd songs:
    - Heart Beat, Pig Meat
    - Crumbling Land
    - Come in Number 51, Your Time Is Up
    - (a re-recording of Careful with That Axe Eugene)
    - Country Song
    - Unknown Song
    - Love Scene (Version 4)

- Love Scene (Version 6)

22. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yes sorry, I stand corrected :)

23. revolution_vanderbilt

Good catches, both of them!

24. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident