Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Why would they go back to the Wall after already doing an Immersion set for it?

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

c'mon @rontoon, where are you? Here in Portugal is almost time for an afternoon snack, if you know what I mean. :D

4. mark winstanley

It's like a bunch of people at a table for dinner, and the dinner is taking longer than they want it to, so everybody moves off into conversations about random stuff lol

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

PULSE – VIDEO (1995)
    Up-rez’d from standard definition. I’m hoping that the image isn’t as compressed and has less artifacts than the DVD but don’t expect too much improvement regarding image quality. It all depends on if the compression was created by the original video format or the DVD authoring, or both.

Like DSOT, this will feature a new edit but I’m not sure how much will be changed, I'm assuming very little. We'll see.

All audio (stereo and surround) mixes from the original release will be the same Guthrie mixes that were on the DVD release but perhaps at a higher resolution. These mixes can't be redone of modified in any way.

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

This means we will not get the full versions of Comfortably Numb and Sorrow. What a pity.

Luisboa likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Those songs were edited for PULSE?

8. NunoBento

They were edited for the video, yes.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

We should at least get the full CN, the version of what is arguably Gilmour's best.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well there will be a modification to the edit. If these songs were originally mixed in their entirety then there is a chance we'll see uncut versions of these songs.

11. NunoBento

Here's the compariosn between the original PPV broadcast and the released version of Comfortably Numb:

12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Given the source media, this is about as good as one can hope for. I never had much of a problem with the video quality of the DVD, given that its a DVD (not sure if my player/system is making the best of the existing MPEG compression of what. I don't use any smoothing or noise reduction). Likewise the existing 640Kb/s Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is pretty good in the first place - an upgrade to a lossless surround codec (Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA) would be most welcome.

Anything that maximises what can be done given the SD source gets a thumbs up from me. Thanks again @rontoon Same time tomorrow all? :tiphat:

drum_cas, andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  13. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

PF just posted a TDB tour poster on their FB page.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

They're slowly catching up. I'm assuming a bunch of DB posts followed by TER and finally the official announcement.

RangerXT, drum_cas, SteveFff and 5 others like this.
  15. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

As a designer/illustrator & fan, it's been great seeing all of these images posted from 'The Later Years'. I love the graphics from this period. The prior stuff is still amazing, but with multiple formats (LP, cassette, CD) and large ad campaigns for the tours and albums, the visuals from the 80s and 90s amount to a beautiful body of work from Storm Thorgerson & Co..

Maurice, NunoBento, Runicen and 6 others like this.
  16. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

As for Pulse i'll be happy for just a clearer upscale and hopefully the unedited comfortably numb solo

17. OK, I'll say it. More than anything, I want a *whole 'nother* "Endless River"-like disc of demos and outtakes and the like.

All the video is neat, and all, sure. But nothing would mean more to me than another "Endless River" type experience, seamlessly woven/interwoven from a whole bunch of disparate sources -- all tied together with nice segues, and the like.

Never gonna happen I'm betting, but there, I said it.

18. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Any infos about the Scott Page Videos. Are they included in the DSOT Blu-ray?

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Info about extras still to come. Don't expect specifics, some things will be revealed via official announcement.

20. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

ssshhhhhh!!!! :winkgrin:

Luisboa and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Dinner's served lol

22. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

I'm excited for tomorrow... the Endless River...do we get a video documentation with new film material from David or/and Nick...

rontoon likes this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ GIVE つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ PUBLIUS つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ

24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

@rontoon What is the reason for excluding Welcome To The Machine on DSOT? It was a highlight of the show! Will that be the case with the audio too?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I knew it! Great!! Thanks Ron! I hope the 'edit' will be both parts just being combined, as they easily will fit on one Blu-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.