Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - Oddball Masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by d3adf1sh, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is actually a reply to an old thread that seems to come up from time to time when searching about different cd masterings for WYWH. its from member foobar2000 (which prob no longer exists) and he asks:

---"In preparation for my Ultimate Wish You Were Here Geek-Out (tm) I'm trying to decipher all the available masterings. There are a few oddballs, and I'm wondering if anyone here has copies of them?

The fist one was released on the CBS label in Canada only, CK-33453, I'm guessing in the mid-1980's? Peak values are:
    93.3 - 93.3 - 93.3 - 93.3 - 93.3
    Pink Floyd Archives-Canadian CD Discography
    I am guessing this is a level-shifted version of the 100% peak Sony five-track listed just above, but there is an EMI Europe version with 100% peaks which is an entirely different mastering.

The second one was released in Japan and Australia only, 1998 Sony SRCS 8483 & 1997 Columbia 489106 2. Peak values are:
    100 - 100 - 100 - 89.3 - 92.0
    Pink Floyd Archives-Australian CD Discography
    Pink Floyd Archives-Japanese Pink Floyd CD Discography
    These are not the same peak values as the Mastersound Gold, nor the Standard Columbia/Capitol Doug Sax mastering. I am assuming these are just level-shifted version of the Sax, but I want to be certain. "---

Well I'm here to say after owning 1st uk, 94 Holland, 80's US, and having listened to grail (and owning grail of DSOTM), and having recently picked up the Australian release mentioned here. Well, there's a new grail in town... at least in my book. BTW this had sticker on front that totes being remastered under the bands supervision. and super it is. Columbia 489106 2 FTW Lucy's got my back on this one. So does snoopy.?...a;)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I have the Japan one. SRCS 8483. Beats my UK one from the early 90's which claimed to be a Doug Sax but wasn't! Very odd situation in the UK with those 90's Floyd CD's that claim be Doug Sax. Clearly some are. Some aren't. Anyhow, this Japan CD is very full, clear and enjoyable. Far too many versions out there for me to claim a "grail" as I haven't heard all but It certainly appeals to me.

d3adf1sh likes this.
  3. d3adf1sh

yeah that's the one. beautiful isn't it? :agree: i still haven't heard a better copy. this IS the one remastered under band's supervision unlike the ones released in North America that carried the same sticker.

4. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Interesting, how does it compare (dr) with the Japan - UK edition/s

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here – CDP 7 46035 2 (Black Face) Made in Japan
    Matrix: CDP 7 46035 2 7A3 TO
    EAC;
    94.9 / 100 / 95.1 / 90.5 / 88.5
    DR13.....-0.45 dB.....-17.13 dB......13:33
    DR11......0.00 dB.....-16.97 dB......7:26
    DR13.....-0.43 dB.....-15.86 dB......5:08
    DR13.....-0.86 dB.....-19.23 dB......5:40
    DR12.....-1.06 dB.....-16.70 dB......12:23

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

This is the 1997 US (Columbia) Doug Sax if it helps in any way to identify the source;

Matrix: 2A DIDP 093918 01
    EAC;
    100 / 100 / 99.9 / 88.8 / 92.2
    DR10......0.00 Db......-13.84 dB.....13:40
    DR10......0.00 dB......-12.98 dB......7:31
    DR10......0.00 dB......-12.69 dB......5:09
    DR11.....-1.03 dB......-16.70 dB......5:34
    DR10.....-0.70 dB......-14.42 dB.....12:31

6. d3adf1sh

blows both of those out of the water. and i have heard them both. still have both of them. imo 97 aussie is the best version of WYWH you can own. better than original master. wouldn't come off my copy for nothin.

still have my 1st uk made in japan no barcode, believe its the one you mention. never really cared for that one. it sounds a little dry and also harsh during a couple parts where it clips.

supposedly the reason they remasterd WYWH so soon after the previous remasters was because it was Gilmours favorite album and he didn't like the way it currently sounded on cd and wanted it to sound like it was suppose to. (hence the sticker) funny thing tho is they also remastered The Wall at the same time and that came out sounding like ass. (prob because that was Roger's album so Dave ****ed it up on purpose??) who knows? because i ended up picking up the canadian and the australian 97 of the wall and they come no where close to the breath of life on C2K 36183

7. d3adf1sh

oh you wanted DR... i will run it through and get back with you when i get time to do it.

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'll disagree with this - it sounds fine, as do most versions of Pink Floyd albums. Each to his own.

zinan likes this.
  9. d3adf1sh

dude, have you heard the '97 aussie or even 35dp4? i mean original uk sounds like they used a cassette master that's the rumor at least. but like you said to each there own...

seriously though, i love pink floyd as much as the next man. but if you've heard the preffered masterings, it's hard to go anywhere else for your floyd. breath of life and all.

ok have you at least heard the cp35-3017 vs say... sax remaster? idk almost like two different takes on the same musical composition.. ??

10. d3adf1sh

unless you're listening on earbuds or a boombox, or tin can cube speakers...

11. d3adf1sh

oh i'm sorry were you talking about "The Wall"? well have you ever heard c2k 36183 played on a system that properly handles pre-emphasis? vs say the 97 "remastered under the band's supervision" remaster?

NO COMPARISON

don't get me wrong i'd rather listen to a remaster floyd, than no floyd, but c'mon.. we're talking best of the best here.

12. John Buchanan

I've heard The Wall on one of the C2K 36183 versions (too long ago now), MoFi, 1997 Columbia and 2000 Capitol (the last two are the same Doug Sax mastering). None sounded like "ass". I liked the MoFi the least, but again, too long ago.
    Retained all the US Harvest/Capitol versions (the real deal Doug Sax mastering) and I'm happy with how they all sound.

Feel free to check out my profile for what I do listen on.

13. d3adf1sh

+John Buchanan - Hey i see you're from australia! well if you ever see one of those '97 WYWH's pick it up, you won't be disappointed. and if nothing else there are 370 people on discogs that would love to hear it!

14. John Buchanan

Is it any different from the 97 US Columbia or the 2000 Capitol?

15. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Where's foobar2000 when we need him. :)

16. John Buchanan

Yes, agreed. A nice graphical comparison to rev up the luddites LOL.

kevin5brown likes this.
  17. kevin5brown

There is a "family" of 4 of these. Let's see if this works:
    Code:

Aussie ..... Jpn SRCS
    1997 ......... 1998
    ----------------------
    489106 ....... 8483 .......... WYWH
    489103 ....... 8484 .......... Animals
    489101 ....... 8485/6 ........ The Wall
    489107 ....... 8488 .......... Final Cut

[There is also an Aussie for AMLoR, and SRCS discs for ACoGDS, AMLoR, and DB, but I don't care as much about those.]

I have compared for the Final Cut and the Wall so far, and the SRCS/Australia masterings do not beat my faves for these. Which for both is the 1st Jpn or 1st Jpn for US CDs, that have preemphasis. Animals and WYWH up next. For TFC and the Wall, the SRCS/Australia masterings are just a variant of the Sax remasters, which makes sense, since they came out in 1997/'98.

d3adf1sh and Mbe like this.
  18. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I like my 2016 PFR9 :D

19. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Nice work, guess you were a little impatient in not waiting for a response from d3adf1sh ;)

Even if 99.9% of opinion is against;
    I have such a bond with all aspects of the original cd purchased (Japan- UK) of The Final cut that i’m not sure I could accept any other edition
    to take precedence after all this time. I have listened to a later US (without pre-emphasis and without Tigers) and it just didn’t kick in the balls
    as the UK edition does, it is not a Album that I can now accept or adapt to being smoother and more relaxed throughout as I experienced the US to be.

I do find the situation a little strange myself as it appears all common sense is out of the window on this one (with a smile).

20. kevin5brown

The Jpn for UK is my #2 for TFC. :D

Mbe likes this.
  21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im sticking to vinyl for now.

22. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Ah yes there is always one (x thousands), not surprising given the location – SHMF

Nirvana (every day)...
    I do find (in this era) the experience as a whole being somewhat disrupted having to reset the state of mind induced,
    by having to go through the procedures in order to re-settle/play side two’s, 'free four’.

A defence with humour hopefully received as such. :)

23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Say what?

c-eling likes this.
  24. kevin5brown

I got the SRCS disc for WYWH. Meh. It's OK. Good thing/bad thing. If you like the Sony Mastersound, you will like this one. But I think the Sony, and SRCS, is too bright. The SRCS is a small improvement over the Sony, but unfortunately, it shares the Sony's compromised dynamics:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Sony Mastersound DR: 10 09 10 11 10

This has become my favorite for WYWH:

Harvest Jpn for UK CDP DR: 13 11 13 13 12

The dynamics are an accidental side benefit however, it's the tonality of the Jpn for Europe that I like the best. The "2 track" Jpn 35DP-4 isn't far behind.

Mbe, Crimson Witch and c-eling like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I think he means there's a $#@^-ton of mastering's and manufacturing's available, pretty much to suit anyone's taste :laugh:
    My favorite has become the 1981 US Barry 'Green' label. I'm done with this title!

Mbe, Floyd Crazy and Leonthepro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.