"Pink Floyd's" "The Endless River" - Do You Consider it to be Pink Floyd (proper), or no?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drumzNspace, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will say "yes" although it does feel a bit "dirty" and I'm a little worried about the whole affair. Hoping for good things of course.

There are bits of Momentary Lapse and Division Bell that I like a lot. There are also bits that don't seem quite right to me -- either somewhat cringeworthy like I would feel a bit awkward listening alongside someone, like "really we're listening t0 this?", or that I just know that (to me) the quality is just not there and it's just not legit. But that notwithstanding I reiterate there are large portions (the large majority actually) that I like - it's really just a handful of tracks that don't make the grade to me - and I do consider it Floyd and I am grateful I got to experience it all. I will say though that PRE-AMLOR, 100% of everything they ever did was PURE gold to me.

tedhead and bliss44 like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

@drumzNspace Thanks for diverting this discussion over to here!

Laibach likes this.
  3. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident Thread Starter

My pleasure..

stereoptic likes this.
  4. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

"Proper" Pink Floyd ended with The Wall - everything thereafter is compromised in some way.

marknoir, Hutch, Keith V and 7 others like this.
  5. I would argue that it ended before then.

Nevertheless, I will enjoy the album for what it is-- nice tribute to Rick completed by Dave and Nick with help.

Aggie87 and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No idea why Dave didn't simply credit it to "Dave Gilmour" or "Dave Gilmour & Nick Mason". A "Pink Floyd" album arriving that late in the day feels a little weird...

marknoir likes this.
  7. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Animals?

8. Neonbeam

.... and carries a weight and expectations that a solo album simply wouldn't have. Of course the name guarantees sales but I always thought Dave wasn't in it for the money.

That's what I like about Robert Plant by the way. Whatever he does... he always has creative new names;)

tonesforchris and Bolero like this.
  9. Neonbeam

You could even say "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn";)

I333I, Mugsy5591, johnnyyen and 5 others like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think if you consider the Division Bell a true Pink Floyd album, then you can't NOT consider this a true Pink Floyd album. These outtakes from the Division Bell, spruced up by folks who were involved in that project. I don't think it's much different than when The Rolling Stones took some old Exile-era outtakes and turned them into full blown (and in my opinion jaw dropping) songs!

Now, do you want to consider it a main album by the band? I think an argument can be made that the album is perhaps a bit of a side-project by the band, as could be the soundtracks that they did. But even that is splitting hairs. This is Pink Floyd. And this is an album. It's a Pink Floyd album.

I think there is a valid notion that the real Pink Floyd ended when Roger left. I don't subscribe to it, but it's a strong argument. But The Endless River is as much Pink Floyd as any other post-Roger release.

11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

No. And unfortunately there dies my interest. If Waters was involved, Id be all over it.

vinyl diehard and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

It has the name Pink Floyd so yes.

wileycoyote and wavethatflag like this.
  13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

if its good yes. if its as good as the division bell yes. if its bad. i will disown it.

14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

That's my take on this.I am not counting on this to reinvigorate me into the proper Pink Floyd.Given the track record after the Wall it is very disappointing to my ears.

15. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I think it is as much Pink Floyd as the Who are still the Who. More like a Dave Gilmour solo project. It might be good but it does not have the heart of the classic Pink Floyd.

mgoad30 likes this.
  16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

nah. TDB and MLOF are nominally Pink Floyd albums, and yes, while Gilmour and Mason (and pre-ecorded Wright) will always draw my interest, Waters was so much of the Pink Floyd trajectory, and his interaction with the aforementioned 3 was what attracted me to Pink Floyd artistically. this new one appeals to me as a curiosity but not as a Pink Floyd album since I don't believe anything with the name "Pink Floyd" on it since 1979 has been a Pink Floyd album.

tedhead, kevintomb, tojo1962 and 2 others like this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think of it as a Gilmour solo album. Might still be good, but I don't think of it as "real" Floyd.

tim185 and Matheusms like this.
  18. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

The last Pink Floyd record is called Amused To Death and is one hell of a Pink Floyd record! :cool: Let the Dave Gilmour Police or the Big Spliff experts come to call me a troll haha

19. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I think discussions like this are kind of meaningless...it doesn't matter what we think

fact: Dave, Nick, Rick ( and maybe Bob? and a few other contributers....isn't Dave's wife the lyricist now or something? ) recorded some music and released it as Pink Floyd

we can bitch, moan, argue as much as we like, it's not going to change anything

20. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Why not make Polly Samson a full time Pink Floyd member? She's been an integral part of the band for decades (for a band that always gave so much importance for lyrics and concepts, she deserves more than she gets). Since David Gilmour doesn't know how to write lyrics (and good lord, after Dogs of War, he shouldn't be allowed to try!), she took the place of one of the greatest lyricists in the history of popular music. For better or for worse, she's important for the "third" incarnation of the band.

Since the company Pink Floyd 1987 ltd. commands everything band related for three decades now, Dave Gilmour, the CEO, should give more credit to his wife.

21. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Agreed

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

We're not bitching or moaning. Maybe some are, but I'm not. We're just discussing what we think. Dave calls this release "Pink Floyd". JJ Abrams calls his movies "Star Trek", though many don't seem to accept them as REAL Trek. And some don't think of this (and other) releases with the Pink Floyd name as true Floyd. It's not like we're running a petition to try to actually change anything. Just expressing our view of what David's doing. It's as valid a discussion as any other about the album.

bopdd and Matheusms like this.
  23. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

For such a thoughtful, cosmic, stoner-friendly band, it's amazing how big a role legal disputes and harsh opinions (from the fans and band members alike) play a role in the continuance of the name and music of Pink Floyd. How ironic is it that a group that started as the premiere psychedelic underground band would one day be allowed to exist by a court of law? Throw in the fact that the "Pink Floyd" that so many fans identify with (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) was actually a second generation incarnate previously named and led by Syd Barrett, and the discussion of who or what constitutes "Pink Floyd" becomes as endless as the river in mention on their latest album (or not "their" latest album depending on who you ask).

In general, Pink Floyd has come to represent a certain aesthetic and level of ambition that puts the music above the individual output of any given band member. Take any Floyd album post-1969 and you'll find an emphasis on electronic texture, meaningful songwriting, and overall structure. While it's true that this same aesthetic seems a little artificial or forced on the Gilmour-led albums, it's there nevertheless, much more so than on any Gilmour solo effort (yes, even On An Island in my opinion). Because Gilmour and Wright were so essential to crafting this identifiable technique, I think it kind of earns them the right to carry on the band name, even if their achievements typically fall far short of any effort that involved Roger Waters. In the same regard, I still consider The Final Cut a proper Pink Floyd album because again it achieves a level of beauty and importance that I don't find on any solo band member's album (sorry, I also find Amused to Death to be fairly bloated and lacking in strong songwriting).

All this said, I do kind of find myself on the boat where I'm wary to consider this latest album a true Pink Floyd effort. If it's nothing but embellished outtakes with a total disregard for songwriting, then in a way it doesn't really fit the band's repertoire. Nevertheless, if it retains their signature sounds and a respectable quality, I'm more than happy to brand it (in my mind) as a Pink Floyd effort because Gilmour and Mason (and Wright) were keeping the band's aesthetic in mind when they created it. Of course, at the end of the day it's still Pink Floyd because some judge in the 80s deemed it so.

24. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

People can discuss their feelings about Jimmy Page making a new band, about the live albums that should be in any collection and Oasis as "life changers" but we can't talk about why we don't consider Endless River as a true PF record. I mean, Jimmy Page will not stop his new project because someone here says that he shouldn't play with other band than Zep, people won't go buy all the records recommended at that thread and the Oasis guys will.. keep being j*rks. But we have the right of having our opinions about what they do. And this forums seems like a good place to expose and debate these opinions. Some people can't live with it and I was stoned to death in the "official" Endless River thread because I said that this album is nothing more than David Gilmour and a producer working to create songs out of Rick Wright outtakes from 40 years ago. That's when I became a troll and learned that all Roger Waters solo works are "subpar" - never understanding what some biased rating of a PF past member discography had to do with the discussion.

serendipitydawg likes this.
  25. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

While I don't feel this way, it does raise an interesting point. Did Waters have the right to carry on the name "Pink Floyd" after Barrett left any more than Gilmour had the right to carry on the name after Waters left? One might argue Gilmour had more to do with the Pink Floyd sound during the Waters era than Waters had to do with the Pink Floyd sound during the Barrett era. What a headache.

RonBaker, tkl7 and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.