Pioneer Elite DV79avi DVD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked up a beat up DV79 on eBay for $75. $1000 MSRP new. Weighs about 19 pounds.

This is the best CD player I've had. The Hi-Bit 24 bit up-sampling really sounds good. Cymbals and their decay sound more analog, smoother and more natural. Less grainy. I'm not sure about the Legato processing though yet. Should have my first SACD soon to try out too.

[​IMG]

snorker and scotpagel like this.
  2. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I have the AIR studios version. It's a great SOLID player, though I mostly use it as a transport now. An inexpensive ($500) DAC makes a HUGE upgrade to your 2 channel audio, however. I run my with a Micromega MyDAC. Never realized how dry the Pioneer sounds in comparison.

3. telemike

Both the DV79 and SX-A9 are Air Studios certified. I got the DV79 for $49.99 + shipping. A STEAL.

snorker and gingerly like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I bought one years ago for $900, the list price was around $1500. It is still a solid player, I only use it for CDs, SACD and DVDA. Have not used it
    for DVD playback since I got into BR around 2008.

6. telemike

Playing my first SACD. Moody Blues

7. telemike

This is better than the Arcam DV79 (same number lol) and Sony 7700.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Pioneer Elite DV79avi is an excellent player. I bought one when they first came out for right around $1000. I had a Pioneer AVR that had an I-link input so I used that connection between the 79avi and the AVR.

snorker likes this.
  9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i believe it, great deal. i have a new in box pioneer elite DV58AV and the SACD sound gives my Marantz SA8005 a run for its money.

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I like the Pioneer DV-79avi so much I own two of them and am likely to get a third soon for my "away" system. The sonics are marvelous and stand up about equally to my Rega Apollo - Schiit Bitfrost Uber DAC combo. Each of mine cost around $210 via Ebay, both units came near mint with remotes, hard to beat!

I use one player for 2 channel music only, the other is in my home theater setup with a Pioneer Elite 84txsi, hooked with with an iLink cable giving me full surround sound from SACD. The DVD upscaling is excellent too, couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    snorker and Bill Mac like this.
  11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I bought one new and still use it. It's a great player. For CD I agree it sounds better as a transport using an external DAC. However, when playing SACD or DVD-A it uses only the analog outputs, but it still sounds quite good.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I still rue the day I passed on buying one of these for $200 NIB on clearance.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

After monitoring eBay for weeks, I finally bit the bullet on a DV-79 avi. I really wanted the silver version, but missed out on one by $1 back in early December, and the other silvers I've seen since then haven't looked to be in the best condition, so I passed on them. The black one I just bought looks immaculate, and I got it paired with a remote for a little under $200 shipped. It has a mfg. date of July 2006, so it's newer than some of the others I was looking at. Don't know if that makes any difference or not, but there you are.

Should have it in a few days, and will weigh in here once I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Congrats! Post pics!

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As it should considering the Arcam doesn't play SACD's :winkgrin:

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Same here.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Congrats, you will love this player. I bought my third, a rare silver model several months ago on Ebay for $250. It will remain in New York for those use on those lengthy occasions when I work away from home.

jriems and PhilBiker like this.
  18. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I use the Pioneer DV868avi for SACD duties and it is a fine sounding thing. I did a comparison of it against my Rega Planet and I still prefer the Rega for CD playback however.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Don't look at it like that..............it only TOOK a buck to outbid you........the winner may have bid $50 more than you!!!...:)

As long as you bid the absolute max you wanted to pay.......:shrug:

20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Does Pioneer still produce elite series gear? If so, has anybody checked it out the disc player component?

21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

True! Yeah, I know it likely was a much greater max bid by the winner, but when you see the "you were outbid by an embarrassingly small amount" message, it's a bit of a downer.

Linger63 likes this.
  22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Go to accessories4less.com for refurbished Pioneer Elite components. $2k Pioneer Elite Blu-ray players can be had for $1k.

townsend likes this.
  23. alanb

alanb Senior Member

I picked one up the other day from Craigslist in great condition for $200 CDN - really nice player and a step up sonically from what i had before.

I am using it purely as 2 channel player and it's nice to be able to play my SACD's and a handful of DVD A's i have.

SACD's sound really good on this but even normal CD's sound better on this than my old player an OPPO.

nm_west, jriems and DigMyGroove like this.
  24. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Picked one up about 5yrs ago, maybe longer ? $150 from Ebay, looked NIB. I used it from time to time to play music SACDs and system test CDs when making setup changes. Nice player, well built, smooth analogue like sound (well less digital sounding than other players....).

nm_west likes this.
  25. telemike

I'd love a silver one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.