Pioneer Elite to introduce $2K reference Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That's great news .
    As someone in the market for a new universal player I 'll be waiting for this one anxiously.

Doesn't appear to decode HDCD which is a shame.
    And based on pictures from the Pioneer website it's built China and used Sabre DACs.
    Another Oppo clone?

**Edit, just noticed, no multi channel analog outs. That pretty much eliminates it for me.
    Shame......back on th Oppo bandwagon

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    jmrife likes this.
  3. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Me, too.

4. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

5. soundboy

6. soundboy

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

The Big Question is how fast it loads and Plays BR's ,That's the most important thing ,If its slow ,,,forget it

rod likes this.
  8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Patience, grasshopper.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Really? That trumps audio and video quality for you? I think that is odd.

10. Not all. You need both quality and load speed. Some BD players are borderline ridiculous in loading time, usually older ones. I wouldn't worry to much as Pioneer's recent decks are pretty fast.

I hope they use Pioneer transports on these. I have a Blu-ray PC burner by them and it is pretty good.

11. PNeski@aol.com

well if you ever used a slow BR Player (my old Sony) you would know how important it is, most of new players have made big improvements in loading times ,but part of the reason Sony PlayStation was the player to
    get for a while was it was the fastest to get through the Java crap ,while the big expensive players were slow

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Already obsolete!

4K Blu-ray Confirmed, Coming in Late 2015

I wound up with at least 4 or 5 "universal" Pioneer disc players over the years that wound up being made worthless because of new formats a few years later. The sad thing is: the three components that become obsolete most quickly are

1) media players (particularly CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc.)
    2) display devices (CRT, LCD, projection TV, etc.)
    3) computers.

Very little nostalgia for these in general, and also very little resale value. I think it's even worse with high-priced audiophile components. For example, if you have a surround preamp/decoder that cost (say) $8000 five or six years ago, god help you if it doesn't have at least 6 or 7 HDMI inputs.

13. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I predict not a lot of these things will be sold.

14. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Lol, that was fast.

15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

2 grand, and build in China? No go

motorcitydave likes this.
  16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Physical formats are dead.

:winkgrin:

17. PNeski@aol.com

because streaming is so perfect??? its not ,plus plenty of stuff just isn't on it

18. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Yep.

IMO, physical players will continue to linger for a while - CD players are still being made and sold, after all. In the case of Pioneer, their R&D and production costs are almost certainly relatively low for a product like this. So if they can get even moderate sales out of it for a couple of years, it will likely pay off.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well obviously Lee was being sarcastic.

However, you appear to be confusing "streaming" with "file playback". Physical media might be on the decline, but plenty of music lovers want to play back their won audio/video/hi-rez files either via attached or local network storage.

20. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Heh, I missed that. Probably because... physical formats really are dead :p

21. PNeski@aol.com

till you can't find a movie

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Well I did do the wink-grin smiley face. :)

23. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Hold off until they can just plug the super ultra mega wideband directly into you brain.
    No physical machines in sight. Just you, your brain, and the endless stream of garbage you started getting when you accidentally allowed that Trojan and virus package inside your brain.
    Getting it out will REALLY hurt.

ggergm and formu_la like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you can build top-quality stuff in China provided a) the design is fantastic, b) you spend a lotta money, and c) you do a ton of QC before the equipment is packed and shipped. When Apple initially set up their manufacturing at Foxconn in China, the word was that they rejected nearly half of everything coming off the line because it wasn't up to spec. Eventually, Foxconn brought up their quality to Apple's requirements, and everything went fine.

What does make me sad is how this kind of thinking continues to put Americans out of work. I would rather companies manufacture the parts overseas and then at least assemble in America and do the QC over here. Apple is trying this now with their Mac Pro, and while it's an expensive computer, it's selling well and the reviews are terrific. I bet the same kind of philosophy could be done with high end audio gear.

Keanu Reeves had one of those in The Matrix...

[​IMG]

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There are still CDs, and DVDs being produced, how is having a CD/DVD player worthless?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.