Pioneer PL-30-K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ntotrar likes this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

For someone starting out it may be all they ever need or want.

3. 56GoldTop

Very true. I agree.

It's hard to get upset about not being offered this

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

when you don't know they were ever manufactured and made available.

4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Those days have passed us unfortunately. Pioneer to their credit still service the Exclusive range of gear in Japan. I had my P3 serviced first beforeI bought it a few years ago.

That said, they have done quite a good job with the PLX-1000 considering. It is no P3, however still a fine turntable and competive with much more expensive tables than its sticker price suggests

As Jim said, for $300 this regarded Denon might be a good starter table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jesterthejedi and 56GoldTop like this.
  5. 56GoldTop

Gorgeous tables, just gorgeous.

As for their current production tables, I'll leave that to others. However, their BDP-85FD or BDP-88FD look very nice and will play 24/192 wav's off a dvd+/-rw(dl). Those I'm interested in.

[​IMG]

jesterthejedi and Turntable like this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Rega's approach is pretty spot-on if you want to sell many: flat plinth, spindle bearing and platter, off the shelf motor, and a tonearm. It only gets complicated when you spend considerable sums to tool your own high quality arm. I am still amazed at what Project offers in their Debut Carbon line for $400. Nothing exotic, just a good combination of parts. Seems like a great value to me.

Hard to believe that for $200 one can find any table that would be serviceable, but Stanton seems to be able to give it a whirl. If someone today is not into vinyl it is totally because they just don't want to, as it is not about money.

Old Rusty and Ntotrar like this.
  7. 56GoldTop

Ahyeup... Although, their buying preferences may need tweakin'. You may be able to download or rip digital music everywhere; but, vinyl prices aren't what I would call cheap. They'll have to learn that... you earn a little money, you go record hunting, you buy a few records, you earn a little money, you go record hunting, you buy a few records and repeat. It's not an instant collection, throw a bag in the microwave and "poof". But, it wasn't an instant collection for most of us, either. It took years for me to amass the records I have and obtain the gear that I have. I think some of the frustration with those newly into vinyl, is that, at 20 bucks a shot, most people can't "buy the store". Well, nope. You're not supposed to. That's not how it's done. If it could be done that way, record collections would be as impersonal and of as little value as most folks harddrive-jukebox-o-tunes, to me the equivalent of gulping down cheap beer as opposed to savoring a vintage "red" (or heck, appreciating a good ale). Nothing against all these tables. They're a good place to start, unless they become problematic (QC issues and such) and risk damaging the vinyl.

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------------
    I would certainly tell anyone getting into vinyl to understand all that is involved IF they have no access to any collection, either their own they're ignored LPs, or family or friends ridding themselves of theirs. I would start at used record stores, garage sales with a good inspections, and then decide if all of this is worth it to them. Unfortunately the best audio has to offer in vinyl and high rez is not cheap, but some affordable as I am finding out with some new high rez finds. All of my new vinyl will be under $20 and if not offered at near the same price on at least 2496. I will not part with my 3 TTs, but I am not spending crazy money on a new one when the software for it is $30 - $50 a pop. I do not let it bother me for all that are willing to do that. I am so happy that you enjoy this great hobby any way you wish. I wish all the high end manufacturers well as eventually some of what they do makes it way to me, just like SACD, and 2496 & 24192 have. Doing vinyl takes a great commitment and effort if you want to minimize the physical problems of surface noises, static, and the like. I is just part of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.