Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

You know, I'm glad to see people on here who actually own the PLX1000 and love it - and not for DJing purposes. I've had my eye on this ever since it was announced last year. I've been growing frustrated trying to find a decent sl-1200mk2 that hasn't been thrashed or over-priced. This came along and I thought maybe it was the answer. However, reading all the Hanpin/negative talk I kinda walked away and not thought much about it since.

Last weekend I picked up the latest stereophile mag and read the overwhelmingly positive article, so I decided to come back to SH to hopefully find some discussion. Thank you guys - that actually own this unit for chiming in. Looking forward to reading more.

2. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

And yet there will still be people to trash it! (Fanboys & AudioSnobs) I guess Stereophile and Steve Guttenberg don't know what they're talking about. LMFAO!

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I agree. Stereophle usually has no clue and pretty ads

Licorice pizza and Lymbo like this.
  4. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I know. Silly publication.

5. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Both good choices. The 120E is hard to beat at that price point.

Licorice pizza and theron d like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't know how you're going to listen to one at Guitar Center. They usually don't have them hooked up and Guitar Center is the noisiest place in the world next to Grand Central Station.

googlymoogly and russk like this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yeah. I got to see one. But the kid there couldn't set one up. It looks nice. I think the technics arm is a bit better quality just based on feel, but it is definitely a better looking deck than the AT decks. I must admit I'm very curious about it. Think I might try to get my sister to pick one up and mount a 2m Blue or a Shure M97xe that I could pop a jico stylus on for her. I'm very considerate like that.:righton:

8. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

russk, I can give you my opinion for what that's worth...lol. I do own an SL-1200MK2 that has dampening modification and an SL-1600MK2 with a stock arm and I think the Pioneer tonearm is actually where they improved upon the technics. The internal damping seems to make a noticeable difference.

9. I have to admit that the rubber and composite dampening in the base of the SK-1200mk2 is monstrous while in the PLX-1000, it's basically just hollow ABS plastic.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

UnReal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Again, perception is reality in these days.....BUT, if you have the where with all to be honest you find out that in reality, a lot of these chinese products are just pale imitations of what used to be Incredibly Engineered Gear.
    What a shame because I wanted to like it to.....they did do a great job at making it LOOK sexy from the outside!!!!!!
    But especially for Home Audio Use.......Stick with a refurbished Pioneer PL-540/550/560/518 (the deck I refurbed and am using now) you can get on eBay from at least two people specializing in Refurbishing them, for less than $500. I looked at my 518's motor and you couldn't tell it was 30 years old!! NO WEAR visible. It'll probably last another 30 years.........
    the beave

11. The Beave

With all do respect, watch the 30 minute video on page 11. Howling like mad and circuit boards looking like bad imitation Korean boards from yesteryear.
    Not worth $200 imo.
    the beave

12. The Beave

No, he switched the inputs right on the video to test that theory and the 'trouble' followed the Pioneer. Believe your eyes and ears-the guy didn't make that up.
    the beave

13. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

You're right, it a piece of crap, I should box it up and rush down to Guitar Center and return it based on your opinion. I'm sure you know much more than me. Heck, you probably know more than Steve Guttenberg and the people at Stereophile. You should start your own Audio consulting company!

Thanks for your keen insight! I'll get rid of it immediately!

14. The Beave

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. The Beave

Yeah, I came off kinda hard, sorry about that.
    Enjoy it. But when I read something like this from the Stereophile article:

'While I was at it, I gave the Pioneer’s arm bearings a quick check and discovered they were way loose'.

I just have to shake me head you know?? A tonearm is like a swiss watch, it's supposed to be a thing of PRECISION.
    But I guess I'm just living in the past......
    Over to you,,,,,, and it does look sexy.
    Ozzy said it best,,,,,,'Going Forward....In Reverse'.
    the beave
    making NO friends today..........
    back to the Beatles forums then.

Ghostworld and Ntotrar like this.
  16. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

caballero likes this.
  18. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

All you guys that haven't hooked one up to your system...you're right and I'm just delusional. I'm just imaging a great sounding turntable. You're experince with the deck is amazing and it has woken me from my delusion. I watched the DJ's video and now I'm hearing a howling feedback. And damn, a Tonearm had to be tightened up, I bet they're all coming out of the factory loose! Wow. I must have been slipped some shrooms. Delusions are awful. I'm boxing it up immediately! Now excuse me while I rush this hunk of plastic back for a refund. Damn that feedback has shot my ears and the Tonearm flew off and poked me eye out. Damn.

DO NOT BUY THE PLX 1000 whatever you do. :rolleyes:

19. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

You're confusing this with the Red Ryder 200-shot range model turntable.

20. The Beave

21. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

OR you could buy a BRAND NEW PLX-1000 with manufacturer's warranty and a return policy. Although I haven't seen or heard a PLX-1000, I certainly wouldn't let that guy's YouTube video keep me from buying one if its what I wanted. He took the damn thing apart and put it back together before testing it for feedback vs the 1200. Maybe he goofed something up from opening it up, or that particular table was a bad apple? ALL companies have a bad apple here and there. Even the top dogs.

22. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thanks, Lymbo. Before I take mine back I'm gonna play my best albums on it and take them back to GC, along with the TT, and yell , "See what your $750 piece of junk did!!" :O

23. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I'm torn between that one and the AT440mla. But both have great reviews on Needle Doctor.

24. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yes you could. And so what? Curious to hear what your experience with those two turntables is versus your experience with the PLX-1000. How do they compare sound-wise? I'm assuming you've done your own shootout and I'd like to know why you prefer the others to the turntable being discussed in this thread.

Maybe you used that digital 'Hot Stamper' of ABBEY ROAD of yours to do so. Please share.

caballero, warp2600, Robert C and 2 others like this.
  25. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

The 440mla is even better than the 120e. Some have said they think it's too bright but I didn't experience that. Another cartridge that I've read a lot of good things about yet haven't heard myself is the Nagoka MP-110.

jriems likes this.