Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The 440 is a killer cartridge for the money. Seriously good sounds for less than £200 (I got mine when it was £90 in the UK and prices shot up not long after). Tracking to die for, sound that just oozes quality. Total keeper.

Robert C likes this.
  2. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

It does track like a beast. I agree, quite a bargain.

Robert C likes this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

OOOOOOOOuuuuuuuuu, this is getting Hot as.....
    as
    as my HOT STAMPER PRESSING OF ABBEY ROAD!!!!!!!!!

But dear chap as it goes I'm going to acquiesce to you to do the shootout. You bring the Plx-1000 to me pad in Seattle and we'll hook er up and let em rip.
    I feel honored you remembered the Abbey Road! Good going Dude!! And speaking of 'DirtyMac' I think I'll pull out 'The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus' and watch it tonight!! Great Forum name btw.........
    Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.........

But first,
    Guys,
    Really,
    The Tonearms bearings were loose from the chinese factory???????
    And your just going to swallow that???
    Then so be it.
    Enjoy the 1000, Just don't you fricking DARE lump it into the Great Classic Pioneer Turntables of old.
    Or You will be cursed.

Ok, I'm done. Anyone for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?????

:-popcorn:

the
    one
    and
    only

beave

4. The Beave

The Metal Group Wasp also had a song called 'Track Like A Beast'.
    Rock And Roll man.....
    the beave

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Howzabout a Torpedo?

[​IMG]

utahusker likes this.
  6. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

The Beav has spoken. Don't listen to Stereophile or Steve Guttenberg! Or even those that actually own the turntable. The Beav is the authoratay!

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Sounds like its a lot nicer out of the box than most lower end Regas.

Robert C and Licorice pizza like this.
  8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Captain Lawrence Pale Ale is my current favorite. I would consider the Pioneer if I didn't already own a couple of serviceable decks. To those who have found joy with this spinner: Bravo! life is to short to worry about the opinions of others. To those who have different tastes: enjoy your personal preference. It is great we have choices.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. The Beave

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
    Good God! That IS B E A U T I F U L......................
    Thank YOU! :righton:
    the beave

caballero likes this.
  10. The Beave

Naaaaa Lymbo. Truly, have fun with your deck! I'm an old codger makin sure you young in's mate well with YOUR gear as we did/do with ours.
    It worked!! :goodie:
    Love your deck and enjoy it!! Remember.....it's what turns YOU on that matters-not what anybody says, and that includes.....ME! :righton:
    And you've proved your metal!
    Kudo's
    the beave

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  11. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Actually Beave, I've been buying turntables since the mid-70's. I haven't been a "young in" in a loooong time. Just don't understand why you feel the need to trash this turntable if you've not even tried it out yourself. I've owned many vintage decks and still have 3 of them. I'm just pleased there is finally a new direct drive turntable (that I can afford) that is this impressive. You're nitpicking one detail from a review in which the author actually praised the turntable overwhelmingly. Just find it kinda odd that you feel compelled to do so. But whatever. If that's how you get your jollies it really doesn't bother me a bit. Like I said, I just find it odd.

12. The Beave

My wife thinks i'm odd also.
    I'll just leave it at that.
    The beave

13. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Lymbo, quick question. Does the dust cover give you the option of adding hinges? I've seen this unit at GC, but can't remember if it had hinges.

14. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

No it does not.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  15. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Any advice or criticism the beave is giving here should most definitely be discarded, as his credibility was most surely shattered with his "Abbey Road hot stamper pressing" thread. Nothing like dissing a TT on a public forum that you haven't even seen or heard in person . The PLX 1000 may indeed prove to be an overpriced, mediocre TT in time, but I'm personally far more inclined to believe what I hear from those who actually have experience with the TT in a listening environment(even the guy on YouTube with his feedback video-- although I still think something was wrong with that scenario other than "feedback").

16. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

It's a turntable and it plays records; so, good on anyone who decides to purchase or has purchased one for home use or live DJ'ing (good luck with the latter). As vinyl appreciators, ->->->we're all united on that one. <-<-<- It certainly seems to be a decent vinyl spinner, much better than a Crosley or other such shlock. If they had left it at that, we'd be straight. But, they never leave it at that. To capture the DJ market, they have to clone the 1200's looks. They have to. It's been the iconic standard for decades. If they don't they know they're done before they start. Then they have to make it appear to be even better than a 1200 or they're still done before they start. So, the hype commences. They throw the 1200 under the bus as if more torque is the only thing that matters when playing a record. It actually doesn't matter at all if you're not a DJ. How much torque does a La Platine Verdier have, or need??? It takes a whole lot more than just stronger torque to best a 1200.
    To which, I'm feeling fully vindicated :bdance: in my previous statements about this deck. All the marketing schmooze about this being an effectual "Pioneer badged SL-1200MK2" has proven to be u t t e r B$. I'm not trying to be a jerk; but, myself (and several others) here and on other forums were called on the carpet for doubting the build quality of this table before it hit the market.

Now, I'm going to be a jerk.
    ***We - were - dead - right.*** :D We go through this every time another 1200 clone hits the market. ABS plastic chassis. Seriously? If we're talking DJ's, there is no earthly way those things are going to stand for as much abuse as a Technics shakes off in it's sleep, even after decades of use. And, for how much? I wish he had opened up a 1200 and shown it side by side with the inisde of the PLX. Some of the ??in depth?? review videos of the PLX are amazingly hysterical in their non- "in depth" -ness. :laugh: What happened to Joe Public's ability to discern ad-speak, the words of paid endorsers, indignance and envy???

Lastly, for anyone who has come late to the party, please go back and read from the beginning. Several folks rightly questioned and pointed out possible shortcomings for this deck and have now been justified. These folks, IMO, are people whose intuition and experience should be trusted when this issue comes up again, as I'm sure it probably will. And, those who spout off as if said persons were just Technics loving elitists with their heads in the sand should probably be ignored. I'm sure I have too many Technics tables, which I have no plans to part with. However, my next TT will not be a Technics. It will also NOT be a 1200 knock-off. (Truthfully, it is incorrect to call the PLX and any Hanpin TTs a 1200 clone.) The idea is to try to go forward in the quality and sonics departments... at the very least, make a lateral move. I'd rather go with a host of different decks (eg. Trans-Fi Salvation, VPI Scout, Michell, Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, Oracle, etc. etc. on and on it goes.) And for those who think I'm poo-pooing their choice of this table, I'm not. I'm trying to be as clear as I can about that. It has nothing to do with PLX as someone's choice for a vinyl spinner. Congrats to whoever buys one. Enjoy it! Just don't try and tell me it's a 1200 with a Pioneer badge or worse suggest that I should toss out my Technics because the PLX walks all over it. I don't think so. That's where the problem lies. That's akin to pissin' on me and telling me it's raining. No one appreciates that.

17. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I don't recall anyone in this thread suggest that people should ditch their 1200's to get the Pioneer. I certainly haven't said that.

And you feel "vindicated" because some hack DJ made a YouTube video in Dubai in which he had some negative things to say about the Pioneer? Well, I'm happy that makes you feel that way. Seriously, I am.

Furthermore, I really don't think anyone is trying to force you to buy a Pioneer or even remotely suggest that you buy one.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Licorice pizza and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Good Lord.....what happened to this thread?:sigh:

19. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

They have my trust. I think they have genius minds and uncanny knowledge.

dirtymac likes this.
  20. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I've just read that Michael Fremer of Analog Planet just received a Pioneer PLX-1000 and plans to review it soon. Looking forward to his take.

21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

And for those PLX lovers and actual owners, I can't help by quoting Ghandi:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

BlackStrat_Fan, Lymbo and The Pinhead like this.
  22. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Me too. Should be interesting as he will likely draw comparisons to it and the much cheaper AT-120 table, and I'm sure the technics 1200s. I hope he also draws comparisons to the pioneer and some higher end stuff like VPI and Rega

johnny q and John76 like this.
  23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I'm not a lover and actual owner of a Chevy Vega (with it's original 4 cyl. engine), either. Somehow, that doesn't bother me in the least. As for Ghandi, I'm pretty sure he's not in the market for a PLX-1000 (or a 1200, for that matter). :D The quote would be more applicable to 1200 owners. Like I said, as a vinyl spinner, it is what it is. It does look nice and it's got crazy torque; a 1200 it is not. Simples. No reason for anyone to take offense.

24. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

No offense taken. I actually own one.

But apparently you haven't realized that no one was comparing it to the 1200. Read some of the previous posts.

Lymbo likes this.
  25. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Fanboyism rears it's ugly head. I never have understood fanboyism. I own a PLX and a modded 1200. I think several Technics turntables are phenomenal. I own a 1600MK2 and SL-7 as well. I've never said the PLX is a 1200 and I know you haven't either LP.

Why the fanboys are riled up about the PLX is beyond me. Do they feel threatened somehow?? And what's all this "don't tell me to get rid of my 1200," and "it's no 1200." Who the F is telling them those things? Nobody in this thread.

I own buttloads of Apple product but I know there are marvelous Android devices and great PC's. I used to own both XBOX and Playstaion systems. Loved 'em both.

I just never have been able to wrap my head around fanboyism but damn it's rampant with so many products. "My brand is superior. You may like yours and that's cool, but it isn't as good as my brand." Good gawd. Fanboyism is so juvenile.