Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

Hi all -

I have a PLX-1000 as my LP12 is in for repair and it may take 4-6 weeks due to the repair only being handled in the UK. I just installed and listened to the Pioneer this past Saturday and it's a tank. It's too early to have a perspective on the overall sound as it's breaking in and only one night of listening. But I will say that one night listen was surprising, as in unexpectedly good.

I used a Shure V15VxMR which was just sold so this weekend I am moving the Lyra Delos over from the Lp12. Yes, truly cartridge overkill for this tonearm but it's all I have at this point and am really curious about this table. I really wanted to provide another user's perspective (not mine but in the link) who has the PLX-1000 and changed headshells to get the true Baerwald alignment, please see the link.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35258

2. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Not to argue with you but you may want to re-read his comments from last night. He clearly states that he had the AT in the Baerwald alignment. He did say "barely", but lined up nonetheless. There was another alignment that he personally likes to use that did'nt have quite enough slot room in the headshell to use. It's not one I'm familiar with as I've learned that Baerwald and Stevenson are the most commonly used.

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It'll be interesting to see what Fremer says about the PLX-1000 (he's currently checking it out apparently). He was surprisingly kind to the AT-LP120.

johnny q and Budysr like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Good link; I'd go with this response :

¨If the manual says 54mm to the stylus tip, then go with that, square in the shell and fuggetaboutit. Alignment is obviously not Baerwald and probably not Stevenson, either. What's the big deal?¨

:edthumbs:

Lymbo likes this.
  5. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I really don't care anyone thinks. I love my PLX. I wouldn't sell it for twice the price I paid.

Brother_Rael and Stefan like this.
  6. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I used the MoFi Geo-Disc. Yet another product I own that some trash. The sound my carts put out when aligned with it always sound fantastic. No sibilance, no IGD. Just sweet sounds.

Billy Budapest and The Pinhead like this.
  7. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Yes it does have a VTA adjustment ring.

8. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Yes, they are KAB and yes I have the tonearm dampening system. Oh I love the Quintet Black too. I have one and use it often. Are you confusing that with my not so enthusiastic opinion of the 2M Black?

And I don't find the the 150mlx too thin at all. As far as music goes, my listening preferences are wildly varied.

9. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Interesting stuff. Thank you, I will say I've not got any sibilance on my PLX or 1200. I do get it with my SK-7 on some LP's.

10. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks for passing this on. I may have to try it on the PLX and if it fits, order another from KAB.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yep my bad. So what alignment are you using? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these for my sister so I can get my SL1200 back. It looks like a great table.

12. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I use the MoFi Geo-Disc. It has always worked extremely well for me.

Billy Budapest, The Pinhead and russk like this.
  13. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

My alignment with MoFi GeoDisc. Audio Technica AT-150MLX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Claxton, Mikay, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  14. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I really like that Ortofon SH-4 headshell. I have one in black. To my ears, it sounds much better than the stock Technics headshell and it's nearly as good as my two hard-to-find vintage AT headshells. The ATs may sound fractionally better plus they have built-in adjustable overhang and azimuth going for them. But the Ortofon SH-4 is better than all the other ones I've tried.

c-eling and Lymbo like this.
  15. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Were you able to get the arm parallel to the playing surface? It looks like you were from the picture. This was one of the other complaints the guy from the other forum had--the VTA not allowing a parallel setup in its lowest setting

16. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Yes. No problem at all.

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Actually I'm set at 1 1/2. That's because I have a 5mm Achromat on the platter. When I had the rubber mat, I was at 0.

18. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Thanks Lymbo for taking the time to answer questions and offer feedback to those of us who are actually interested in the Pioneer and not just trashing it. Couple more questions if you don't mind(since you have the same AT cart. there that I have). Did you try the 150MLX in the Pioneer headshell in addition to the ortophon headshell, and did you wind up using a different mat than the stock rubber mat? I may have missed this previously if already stated.

Licorice pizza, Lymbo and The Pinhead like this.
  19. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Looks like you beat me to the punch there!

Lymbo likes this.
  20. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

No, I haven't tried the Pioneer headshell yet.

21. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Looks like a nice tool. Baerwald geometry. I don't know what problem anyone would have with that. Also looks like your Ortofon headshell might provide a little more wiggle room than the stock one. Can you confirm that?

Lymbo and skriefal like this.
  22. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Indeed it does. That's one reason I like the SH-4 headshells.

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice seeing the SH-4 getting a little attention, been a happy user for a few years now, mated well with my Denon DL-110, the lift handle works great for a heavy needle dropper like myself :)

The Pinhead and Lymbo like this.
  24. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Well, that's one confirmed problem-killer for the Pioneer then! Use the Ortofon headshell!

Now if we can only figure out how to calibrate the anti-skate... almost makes me want to plop down $700 so I can fiddle with it. *Almost*. If I had $700, I'd probably hunt down a pair of 1200's and recondition them, though. But that's me. I like to fiddle with things. For an out of the box'er, that's not going to be such a good solution.

Budysr likes this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Is that a confirmed generalized problem or maybe one person's lemon ?:wtf: