Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

You WANT the Nirvana Unplugged in NYC! Pressed at Pallas in Germany. I'll buy a second copy to keep sealed.

I wish everyone that (incorrectly) thinks the Pioneer is a POS could hear this. It will put a lot of more expensive setups to shame.

My NOS Shure V15xMR arrives Friday. Downgrade? Sidestep? We shall see....

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I agree that is a very nice pressing of Nirvana Unplugged. You may have already stated in a previous post, but what kind of interconnects are you using from the pioneer to your preamp? That's another thing I like about this Pioneer. It allows the use of the cables of your choice from table to pre(like any good audiophile TT does).

3. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Isn't this a bit too long to be on one LP, has it been edited?

4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Agreed. I have more expensive rigs and the Pioneer sounds good. The tonearm cannot handle heavy LOMC's, however any cartridge up to around 9gms should work excellently. I am going to put a Denon DL-S1 which costs more than the table :D

Nirvana unplugged is excellent - I have an original US pressing from 21 years ago - ****, how time flies:cool:

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm using the stock Pioneer ICs into a Denon step up transformer which has captive cords. If I stick with the Shure, I'll figure out the cabling. I'm a believer of two things:

The source has to get the most information from the media.

The system will sound only as good as its weakest link. Another reason for the Shure: lose the transformer and another connection and set of cords.

Budysr likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Actually, it barely- very barely can. My Zu DL-103 weighs 14.5 grams. I couldn't balance the arm, but could barely get the recommended 2.5 grams VTF- although the counterweight is about as far away as possible from the bearings- not optimal.

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Sounds great to me. It's not been edited.

The Beatles White Album was a shade too long for 2 LPS....

Edit: I know the fix! Delete "Revolution #9". The grooves won't be cramped, the album will play louder and most importantly sound better regardless of the system- not because of the grooves, but because of the removal of the track. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I think it is obvious that those who have listened to, and been impressed by, this turntable have not read the specs. Clearly there is something wrong with their hearing. Numbers tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. If I want to know how something will perform, I will read the specs. Saves me a lot of money and trouble.

;)

bluemooze and rtrt like this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Yea I could also fit my Dynavector XV-1s with some blu tac on the end of the counterweight - not optimal at all.

Pioneer would have to offer a larger/heavier counterweight to allow use of heavier LOMC's. I have two counterweights that I use for my Naim audio and the ARO have two counterweights that I use for my Linn Lp12 as well as the Pioneer Exclusive P3 and p10 tables.

Unlikely thou, given the main market of this table is DJ's and all of those cartridges are light.

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Indeed. I love the warmth of it. Easily one of my favorites to listen to.

Rolltide and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Are you guys trying to set the record for the longest thread?;)

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

That's like using a woman's measurements to figure how she'll be in bed. I listen to music with my ears, not spec sheets with my eyes.

As always YMMV- and most likely does.

13. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I would like to return to the "loose bearings" discussion. I had a look at mine and what I found is that if I pull the arm out towards me or in towards the counter weight, that I can hear a slight click, as if there is very slight play....but I measured the difference is a fraction of a millimeter that is so small it's within the error tolerance you could set the cartridge overhang anyway. I am hearing nothing but fantastic sound now so I am reluctant to do anything with it. I have seen a few reports on other forums where users have tried to tighten the bearings only to have over-done it and caused other issues. I agree it shouldn't have any play at all, but I am not convinced in the amount I am seeing it whether it has any negative affect on the playback.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Mine was similar to yours with the bearing just a fraction loose. After I tightened very slightly, I can't say it sounded any better, but did not sound worse either.

But it certainly feels better when using thou.

You can also turn counterclockwise and go back to slightly loose if you think it sounds worse:uhhuh:

jonstatt and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Back to playing CD's for you, after all they are perfect sound forever. :crazy:That's specs for you.

But seriously, your loss not the guys who have actually heard the PLX-1000:goodie:

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------
    It will make you very happy.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have tried that....and been wrong every time. :D

HiFi Guy and Stefan like this.
  18. I can agree with the fact that numbers may be synonym with reliability and quality control. But questioning others' hearing based on numbers is definitely a :thumbsdow. I've performed extensive comparisons between different recordings from many different online sources and, in more than one occasion, I've heard POS rigs (for audiophile standards) that sound way better than some with the "audiophile seal of approval". People definitely should stop listening with their eyes.

Jrr, HiFi Guy and The Pinhead like this.
  19. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Wow is everyone really taking dirtymacs post seriously? Seriously?!

There's even a smiley there - though not sure it was there at first eh :winkgrin:

20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

[​IMG]

21. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I was curious how people were finding adjusting the VTA based with their cartridge. In the manual the lowest setting is for a 19mm cartridge and the highest for a 25mm cartridge. My Ortofon 2M is an 18mm cartridge which would be -1?! However I found that with a 180GSM LP, this seems to make up for the 1mm deficit and the arm is actually parallel. When I look online I see a lot of cartridges that are even thinner. When I compare against other turntables, the range on the Pioneer is quite odd starting at 19mm. So I was wondering if others had to use headshell spacers or something like that to compensate for this?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  22. Please excuse me since I don't have an answer to your question. I just want to say that it reminded me of Michael Fremer's take on the VTA subject (with which I wholeheartedly agree):

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/man-or-woman-enough-blind-mat-test

jonstatt likes this.
  23. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

So far so good. It doesn't sound like the Zu, nor did I expect it to. But, it's quite nice.

24. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

It was there from the get-go. So now let me put it in words for the emoticon-deaf set: I was jest kidding. Of COURSE it would be ludicrous to judge a product solely on its specs and not having listened to it.

25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My bad. The dangers of beer and speed reading.

dirtymac likes this.