Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Darren L

Darren L Forum Resident

I love 'Walking In Space' (I've only got it on CD though)...I must track down a vinyl version!

2. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

I've been unable to find a CD copy in any stores, never got round to ordering it online, and saw the vinyl sitting there for only $10 and just had to buy it. The title track deserves to be played on vinyl, preferably from the Playboy mansion, or Austin Powers' jet.

Plus there's the Spiritualized connection with Oh Happy Day. Great album. Great CTI mastering, too.

Darren L likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You don't use an RCM before each play - one clean and into antistatic sleeve and should never need cleaning unless something contaminates the surface. I have a few albums that are flawless but were generally so out the sleeve without cleaning. Most Lps will have the odd isolated click or pop.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Gave mine a very slight turn and they're perfect. My biggest complaint since I got it last October is the dust cover without hinges.

33na3rd likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I understand how it is "supposed" to be done. That's how I do it now. I still have to use a carbon fibre brush to get rid of dust before play. I'm thinking that a vacuum cleaning before play will fully remove the dust and may over time remove any stubborn dirt that may be in the grooves.

6. Classicrock

If you have removed static as you should with a proper wet vac clean and placed in clean antistatic sleeve the record should accumulate minimal dust while playing. In my experience carbon fibre brushes make the problem worse.

7. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

Indeed. The most likely contaminant are our fingers :) I am sure we have all had the record that didn't quite go back into its sleeve as expected and had to be saved by a clumsy hand.

As the bundled Pioneer headshell has no azimuth adjustment, if a lot of surface noise is noticed on pretty much every record being played, then azimuth is a likely candidate. If some records are (near) perfect, while others are much noisier, then this is simply the huge variances between records. The best way to avoid azimuth issues is to buy a replacement headshell, but be careful, some of them are a lot heavier than the Pioneer one (about 9g), and if you use a high compliance cartridge (such as the 2M Black), that extra mass is not a good thing.

Completely off topic but one thing I have noticed in recent times with "new" vinyl is the poor choice of paper used for the record labels. All my older records don't seem to show up "fingermarks" on the labels, or if they do, they wipe off....but new ones, once they are marked, it won't come off without damaging the label.

8. Classicrock

Removing fingerprints from labels - I use a paper kitchen towel dampened with record cleaning fluid mixture and dry off with a clean paper towel. Removes marks even from black labels.

jonstatt likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

That's what it will do the first time. No need to repeat.

10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Took the Platter Matter off, too dark sounding.

I know that it's similar to sorbathane, but not sure that it actually is. It seems to be somewhere in between sorbathane and rubber as far as hardness goes. I tried to do a web research on it but didn't get far.

I put my Grace F9 on today, and it handily bettered the Shure M44G that Guitar Center gave me. Of course, the Shure with a different/better stylus may have performed differently.

I'll be mulling other mats soon. Lots of Herbie's fans around here. Some GEM Dandy fans here too. I had one of George Merrill's tables in the past, I'm presently leaning in his direction for a mat.

I would love to hear a review from anyone that has put a stock bodied Denon DL-103 on their PLX 1000! I love cheap over achieving cartridges!

HiFi Guy and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I have been using this 'corkstone' cork mat for awhile, and I really love it. Plus, it's very aesthetically pleasing on the turntable. It really tightened up bass and opened the soundstage. I'd recommend it, although I have never tried the mats that you're speaking of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corkstone-C...191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae218390f

33na3rd likes this.
  12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

That does look interesting!

And attractive!

Thanks for the tip!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  13. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

Here are a couple of short 24/96 flac samples done on a PLX-1000 turntable (all stock except for Zupreme headshell). PLX-1000>Goldring 1042>Primare R32>Apogee Duet

-fade in/out
    -minor manual click removal
    -normalize to 0.7 dBFS
    -no EQ or noise reduction or other audio manipulation

Bitch (2015 Sticky Fingers reissue LP)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oga1srptxgjb9g3/Bitch 2015 LP.flac?dl=0

Come Pick Me Up (2015 Heartbreaker reissue LP)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2br6e3ene2lg6gn/Come Pick Me Up 2015 LP.flac?dl=0

thommo and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  14. evilcat

I've noticed the turntable platter on mine is not quite flat... if i watch the silver rings as it spins, there's a small difference: most of the way round they sit about 2mm above the body, but at one point they dip down by about 2mm. It's not huge and doesn't seem to cause any trouble (although the slip mat made the problem worse until i bent it about a little)... should I be concerned?

15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Did you try reseating the platter on the spindle?

16. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

is it anything like this

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=Pioneer&model=PLX-1000

i'd be inclined to return it, if you have any doubts

17. evilcat

18. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I think what you are seeing is what I have seen on 2 PLX-1000s so far and it is purely cosmetic. The platter itself remains flat and spins uniformly. It is the "dot decorations" that are not perfectly carved into the platter so on a revolution you see the dots move up and down slightly. As I say, totally harmless and does not have any effect on the sound..... it would be nice if it was a bit more perfect though :)

punkmusick and groovelocked like this.
  19. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

This is the case with the AT-LP240 as well.

20. evilcat

It looks like it's both that and an imperfection: it looks worse because of the dots, but if I place the platter upside down on a flat surface, two sides are off by about 1mm and I can push them down. The other sides don't move.

My question is whether this is a tolerable fault? By the time the rubber mat, slip mat and record are on top, should I really be worried?

As I said, it seems to cause no playback issues.

21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Are you saying that you can flex the platter?

That would be bad.

22. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

All I can say is, where was this guy ten years ago?

At that time Denon released the DP-500, which was universally ignored or panned on this forum and by audiophiles in general. Back then the criticism was that Denon was just placing their badge on a Stanton DJ turntable, since no one was familiar with Hanpin.

From the looks of it, the PLX-1000 is derived from the same form factor as the DP-500, it's even priced the same. The Denon had a nice heavy platter (not warped), a thick mat, was reasonably heavy, had a dustcover with actual hinges, and plus it looked about 10 million times better than the Pioneer. All it lacked was a rave review in Stereophile.

23. evilcat

It doesn't flex, it wobbles. Like its warped, a tiny amount.

24. Dot "decorations," you say? Those dots aren't decorations, they are tools you use along with the strobe to fine tune the pitch so you know you are running at 33 1/3 or 45 rpm.

25. russk

russk Forum Resident

Some SL1200s have had the dots be on even. It's not unheard of. Take the player and set it on a flat surface and push down on the sides of the platter. If it rocks at all then its warped. If it doesn't you're good to go.