Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Have you looked at both turntables to make such groundless suppositions ? It's spot the difference time : they're clearly not the same.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

First, google what "supposedly" means.
    Second, both models are based on the Hanpin DJ-5500 Super OEM model and the widespread belief is that under the hood they ARE the same, with few tweaks here and there. If that is wrong and you know the differences, I invite you to point them out and solve the mystery.

3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Before sending others onto google, you might want to give it a whirl yourself : dimensions are different, weight is different (the Reloop is 2 kgs lighter), looks are different, tonearm is different and, at last, features are different (one carries an onboard amp and plays at 78 rpm, the other does not).
    All in all, they have precious little in common and your suppositions - whether they are "widespread" or not - are thoroughly groundless and misinformed.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Helom and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The differences you mention are called tweaks. You'll be surprised to discover how same these two decks are in their most important core aspects - motor and speed stability.
    Since you are so informed, please answer my question about the quartz lock.

5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Those differences are way too significanty to be called tweaks. You have absolutely no idea whether your assumptions regarding their motors are true and, clearly, way to investigate further.

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Sorry, can't understand your urge for conflict. You add nothing to the discussion, so I leave you to the mods.

For those interested, I stand behind my statement about Reloop 7000 and PLX 1000 being basically the same deck, based on info floating around the net, that can be easily checked.

Back on topic, I believe it is interesting to gather more info on my initial question: Is plx 1000 quartz locked through the entire pitch range or only at zero? Anyone knows? Technics for example is q-locked at any pitch value, but other decks are not.

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Calling you out on the misinformation you're spreading, based on "widespread belief" that amounts to nothing more than hearsay and gratuitous speculation adds nothing to the discussion ?
    You've given no shred of evidence that these are "basically the same deck". Please do so, you'll have add the pleasure of adding something meaningful to the discussion, which you have yet to do.

8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You and your bad intentions again. Saying "supposedly" is clear enough for anyone in their right mind.
    If you don't have any comment on the plx quartz lock, which is the primary subject of my posts, please do not distract anymore with your nonsense. Reloop is insignificant, was mentioned btw, but if you have any proof against the widespread belief that it is the same deck as plx1000, I encourage you to present it and enlighten me and others. Till then I'll stick to what I currently know from other sources.

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

This is an all-purpose PLX-1000 thread, not your personal dungeon. If you want to make unsubstantiated claims about it, expect to be called out, whatever your personal request might be.
    And do note that nobody in their right mind would put much stock behind hearsay sold as "widespread belief" as far as audio matters go.

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Unsubstantiated claims? Hm...You said my posts are misinformation. Ok. That would mean you know the correct information. May I ask you to present that correct information?

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Credibility of the highest calibre :doh:

bluemooze and Carl Homes like this.
  12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

This bickering caused me to take a quick look at the guts of both Reloop and plx 1000 - lots of similarities - but not exactly the same. There are some subtle differences. Time to move on.

Reloop 7000

[​IMG]

Different angle - PLX 1000

[​IMG]

13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, no official information was ever made public, beyond the place of manufacture. Some speculate, with good reason perhaps, that it was made by Hanpin, but others add Pioneer brought their own "tweaks"as you seem fond of saying.
    If I've missed something useful, I'm sure others will chime in.
    There's no reason to avoid speculating but for God's sake don't try to pass it on as fact without bringing some sort of evidence or argument. "Widespread belief" is neither.

Helom likes this.
  14. Helom

Helom Forum member

I happen to know the guy who took that bottom pic :tiphat:

@RPM, as mrtn77 already stated, there's a 2kg difference in mass between the two tables. A 4.4 lb gap of hardware is not insignificant.

Pioneer SX 1050 and rebellovw like this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Again - google what "supposedly" means and you'll understand that I'm not trying to pass on anything as fact. The evidence is floating around and you can easily find it as costerdock did.
    As I said, Reloop is insignificant in the thread, I would buy it before plx, especially the mk2 version, because I believe it's the same in the core and not worse than plx.
    Who likes the plx better - fine, go for it! It's your money!
    My question, that you managed to sink in nonsense, is:
    Is the plx quartz locked through the entire pitch range or only at zero?

Technics 1200 GR is 3 kg lighter than the plx 1000. :rolleyes:

16. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Don't let my location fool, I need no help with the English language (though I should watch my terrible typing). Why should I google "supposedly" when you said it outright : "I said behind my statement that [these] are basically the same deck" ?
    I'm not insisting on this to pick on you : this sort of confusion was already a drag in the early days of the PLX-1000, let's avoid bringing it up again now that most of us are well past it.

17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So? What's not clear? I stand behind what I have previously said - that they are supposedly, or in other words - basically the same.
    Good you realized it's high time that you stop the nonsense you started. Stick to your decision, p l e a s e .

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

So there's really no use trying to reason you past your thoughtfulness. Your own willful nonsense, you could say.
    The Reloop and the Pioneer are not the same deck, supposedly, basically, in any way, function or form. Everything beyond hearsay and Chinese whispers shows it, dimensions show it, weight shoes it, features show it, you've had pictures above show it. Every scrap of concrete, factual evidence shows it.
    Why is this so hard for you to accept ?
    (Don't answer, that's a rhetorical question.)

19. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Why do you think I don't accept it? I will gladly accept it when I see a firm evidence. You offered no evidence of being different in the aspects that matter: motor, speed stability, tonearm...You stick to physical aesthetics, dimensions and couple of features like 78rpm. The pictures show that they ARE pretty much the same decks. You're either trolling or have very narrow understanding of "same". Or maybe you are a Pioneer dealer? However, your argument is pointless and distracting from what could have been interesting discussion about the plx quartz lock, something never answered on any forum. So all in all, you did only damage and proved nothing useful.

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Besides all the other differences only you find insignificant, the Reloop tonearm is very obviously not the one Pioneer used on the PLX, as you would know if you'd actually looked at the damn things, as any inquiring mind would do before thoughtlessly jumping onto "widespread beliefs".
    It pays to play spot the difference.

21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Sorry, the wand and the bearing joints are very obviously the same, only the height ring adjustment is different because they had a goal to make it look like Technic's. They even both show the same flaw here and there - loose bearings that need adjustment.
    Check the MK2 Reloop 7000 and see how it became even more similar to the plx tonearm base.

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Which are?

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The Pioneer arm is rubber insulated, Reloop make no such claim.
    Think about it : when two things have different shapes, innards, mass and uses, in no meaningful way can they be called the same.
    This isn't even Philosophy 101.

24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Mass, dimensions, looks and features (onboard preamp, etc.). I.e., every possible difference you can think of between two modern-day direct drive turntables.
    Seriously, how could anyone not consider the presence of an onboard preamp a significant difference ?
    (Again, that's a rhetorical question.)

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You see, a guy who dismantled the tonearm was disappointed to find out that the so called "insulation" was a piece of flimsy thin rubber pipe that looks nothing like the snug fit on the Pioneer site drawings. Basically worthless.
    For you, mass, dimensions, looks and onborad preamp are the core direct drive deck features :rolleyes: that you judge a turntable by?