Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

Ooh, I'll play by answering a question that has probably been asked and answered 100 times - how does this table compare to the Technics 1200? :)

Legit question, I've considered the Pioneer more than once.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Herb Reichert of Stereophile did just that, for whatever that's worth. :confused:

Gramophone Dreams #3

3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I can't answer your question directly. But I can tell you the PLX-1000 is good enough to spin Leonard Cohen while drinking Martinis, which is what this thread is driving me to!

Zaroff, MRT, Ghostworld and 7 others like this.
  4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've been tempted by the PLX-1000 for no more fancy reason than it being a machine that is well reviewed, and on which the user can easily change carts at a moment's notice. Tonearms with fixed head shells can be a real hassle in that regard.

Every time a swap a cart on my Marantz TT-15 I see those thin lead wires and wonder when it will happen that I'll break one of them and require an expensive repair. It doesn't stop me but it certainly makes me pause. There being a current, NEW, affordable machine that offers much/most of what the SL1200 offered makes it a virtuous machine by almost any measure. I suspect that those who niggle with it are simply suspicious because it's made in Taiwan rather than Japan.

rebellovw likes this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That would be the Reloop, and in all turntables that have this there is a degradation in sound quality whether the amp is in use or not.

That, to my mind anyway, would mean the PLX-1000 has a leg up when it comes to sound quality (the thing that matters most).

6. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Overall this Pioneer seems like an interesting proposition. A Hanpin finally done right? So out of curiosity, does the anti-skate actually work on this thing? I never saw any comments specifically about it here, but a guy on AK didn't have good things to say.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It works fine on mine. Some people were claiming it was not accurate but my checking showed it to be bang on as far as I can tell. The table is in fact very heavy and pretty immune from vibration. No arm bearing issues with my sample.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I used the bias test tracks on the HiFi news test record with headphones and I can hear the distortion moving back and forth between the channels as I turn the dial back and forth, so I would say it works. Although it seems that I need to set bias to a value a little more than double that of my VTF - I have Bias set to 4. VTF is 1.7

displayname likes this.
  9. Do we know for sure that it is OEM’ed by Hanpin? I remember watching a tear down video wherein the reviewer recognized some similar parts between the PLX-1000 and Pioneer’s CD DJ turntables.

10. See my post here from over a year ago. I’m not pretending to know the answer conclusively, though.

11. Looks like I posted the same thing two years ago RE: real Pioneer parts.

12. And here.

H8SLKC likes this.
  13. Christian Goergen

Christian Goergen Active Member

I had to log in, only to give you a like.

14. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

and what a review

"In my view, high-end audio is not now, and never really was, about creating or assessing gear with the sound of live music as a reference. It's about manufacturers, engineers, and journalists (like me) talking self-serving, evangelistic, messianic crap. (Hold on—someone just threw a rock through my window.) Audio is really about staunchly held beliefs; most people can't remember where they got those beliefs, or why they believe them. Forget analog vs digital or tubes vs solid-state; the most pervasive and poorly considered belief of all is that only belt-drive turntables are worthy of audiophile consideration. "

H8SLKC, GetHappy!! and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  15. Saboke

Saboke New Member

Ey, hago un video test engine for three turntables pionner plx 1000,technics m3d and audio technica 1240

16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I bought a PLX-1000, it arrived Friday so I had a couple of days to play it. I'm being very clinical trying to find any flaw because I have a short time to return it at no costs if I feel the need (seven days). Couldn't find any. Well, to be honest, I got one of those loose bearings, the vertical one, had a very small but clearly noticeable "click" when pulling and pushing the tonearm. I read here and in Herb Reichert's review how to tighten it. I have a small screwdriver and could do the job myself and test it as recommended by Reichert. No more clicks. It didn't change the sound however. The deck sounded amazing before the adjustment and still does. Had no trouble balancing the arm and setting VTA but I can't use anti-skate at the same 1,8 of the cartridge tracking force. It's set in 3 now and much better than 1,8. I read somewhere (maybe here) that the numbers for the anti skate should be read as if they are 1/2 of what you need and that makes sense, maybe I could set it at 3,6 instead of 3?

I have no experience with better turntables to compare it. But it is much better than my previous Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Both electric and motor hum are gone and my Nagaoka MP-110 sounds like as if I had bought a new cartridge. Huge difference, specially in details. I'm using both the stock headshell and rubber mat.

I've been reading this thread since last Friday and I'm currently on page 51. It's fun how it started with a lot of suspicious (Chinese made, W&F) but soon shifted to favorable reviews. Gonna start page 52 tomorrow.

Jack Keck, johnny q, Robert C and 5 others like this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Congratulations. I think you made a wise purchase.

Wounded Land, H8SLKC and punkmusick like this.
  18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Those interested in the PLX 1000 but bothered by its dj appearance may want to check the upcoming Turn 5 by Reloop Hi-fi Reloop HiFi - TURN 5

Madlove, Robert C and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

How does this upcoming table look any less "DJ" oriented, as you put it, than the PLX ? They're both black rectangular slabs that evoke the Technics 1200. I doubt Clearaudio or Rega fans will be much enthused.

20. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

That’s kind of where I am. Though I’m definitrly not unhappy with my PDC, I had been eyeballing a P3. The price and reviews of the PLX have my interest but yeah, it’s ugly as hell.

I’ll continue to lurk...

21. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Having owned both, the PLX-1000 is the better table.

22. Another congratulations on your wise choice! Tried and true design always wins out over a 'Frankenstein' design from a backroom abortion clinic. Turntables are made to play records. Form fits function, but if you want a 'work-of-art' to hang on your wall next to your picture discs, get one of those externally rubber band driven turntable monstrosities. And now you've found the truth through you're personal experience.
    The companies who make the records we buy don't feel the need to check their quality on any turntable much better than what you bought.
    Back when Pioneer manufactured their own turntables in Japan, rubber mats was their preferred choice. Felt mats are for slip-starting records. The only logical upgrade would be a cork-based mat, allowing slipping and a reduction of static electricity.

punkmusick likes this.
  23. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

That's a bit much. The Pioneer is a winner at it's price point and above. That doesn't make it a MoFi Ultradeck, VPI Prime Scout, or Michell Gyrodec.

It is however far superior to your A/T LP-120.

Bluzuner, Jack Keck and punkmusick like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have one of those Frankenstein rim belt drive turntables and it betters the PLX1000 however fine the later is at it's selling price. Form plus function! Of course it cost a lot more.

punkmusick and HiFi Guy like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahha.

33na3rd likes this.