Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

This will probably be my next table. I hate that it’s all DJ looking but the reviews are good and the price is right.

How the heck I'm going to mount the cartridge is not something I’m looming forward to. Ugh.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Don't worry, the detachable headshell makes the process fairly straightforward, if not simple. Take your time, proceed carefully and everything will be done before you know it.

3. Christian Goergen

Christian Goergen Active Member

This is a nice overview: How to Install and Align a Turntable phono Cartridge - Audio Appraisal
    I didn't find a thread with the exact title " How to set up an cartridge on a turntable" here on stevehoffman. I hope the audioappraisal will do for you. On my PLX a Shure Cartridge is mounted with a Jelco TK 20 headshell. The MoFi geodisc was really helpful. Don't forget to fix your platter and the geodisc temporarily to the plinth with a piece of sticky tape while adjusting the needle tip and tightening the headshell screws. Use a cartridge with only rectangular surfaces for your first setup. Don't try to mount it unless you're sure that the cantilever is built in absolutely straight.
    In between buy Gillian Welch " The Harrow And The Harvest", a fantastic pressing with exquisite acoustic duets and Felix Laband "Deaf Safari", exotic, punchy, intelligent, danceable. If you're enjoying these two records, you know that your turntable does everything right. It does.

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have a problem. After having experienced how good this deck is, I really want to try a 1200 or a 1210, just for fun...

bluemooze and 33na3rd like this.
  5. punkmusick

What's the effective mass of the PLX-1000 arm?

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

About the GeoDisc : if, like me, you have a hard time lining it up to the pivot point, try using a thin metal ruler to "extend" the GeoDisc's sight line.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. Christian Goergen

Christian Goergen Active Member

Indeed, that's crucial. I tried to aim with my phone camera to the pivot point. It worked out well. After three trials. Pioneer could build an "cheap plastic assistant" that could be mounted onto spindle and needle light. Something like a bridge between the two points with little holes to place the needle in for various positions ( Baerwald, Löfgren...)

8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

9. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

Thanks! I placed an order and will check it out.

10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I hope you'll let us know how you like it!

Love your avatar too, BTW!

fuzzbo likes this.
  11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

punkmusick likes this.
  12. punkmusick

PLX-1000 owners, have anyone used a digital scale for VTF? Are the counterweight's marks accurate?

13. punkmusick

By the picture I assume you are the guy with that great YouTube channel. I found it looking for reviews on the fluid damping. Nice to find you here, you do a great job with your videos.

14. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

Jeff

punkmusick likes this.
  15. punkmusick

Do you still have the PLX? You were one of the first folks to have one, if it's still with you, it's been a few years, right?

16. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I do and yes, I've had it for a few years.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. punkmusick

Almost one year later it still looks like that.

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Darren L, Johnny Wong and punkmusick like this.
  19. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

33na3rd likes this.
  20. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The Auralex Iso-tone. It's like a poor man's Symposium Platform. Great bang for the buck. The musical frog.com feet and Iso-tone work really well together, nice black/silent backgrounds. Right now my PLX-1000 is really giving my Gyrodec a run for it's money.

https://www.auralex.com/product/iso-tone/

Darren L and Johnny Wong like this.
  21. Darren L

Darren L Forum Resident

22. punkmusick

I've been using the 54mm overhang squaring the cartridge and it matches the vinyl engine Baerwald protactor. Only used elliptical stylii so far though.

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's strange. It shouldn't match Baerwald but should be closer to Stevenson. I found on my PLX-1000 using the recommended 54mm from stylus tip to headshell washer (overhang is actually 15mm) matches the classic Technics alignment when I did a custom arc protractor for it. To match a true Baerwald IEC on the PLX-1000 you need the stylus to be 56.817mm from the stylus tip to headshell washer or an overhang of 17.817mm. That's impossible to achieve with the stock headshell slots or even the Technics headshells. I can reach it with the LPGear Zupreme or similar longer-slot headshells. When you do get to that alignment on the PLX-1000 it sounds amazing!

punkmusick likes this.
  24. punkmusick

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. This is how I did. I first used the 54mm rule. Then I squared the cartridge making sure the 54mm was still there (maybe there's a little difference but I'm pretty sure not up to 56.8mm). I did it with Nagaoka MP-110 on the stock headshell and with Ortofon 2M Blue with Ortofon SH-4 headshell. Then I took a correctly printed Baerwald protractor from Vinyl Engine and put it on the platter and dropped the needle on it. Seems like both cartridges/stylii/headshells match both points and the cantilevers seem straight up on the line. All checked by eye I admit.

25. Darren L

Darren L Forum Resident

This is the very reason I ditched the stock head shell - I use the Jelco HS25 as it also affords adjustable azimuth (as well as the longer slots).

displayname, HiFi Guy and punkmusick like this.