Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I know this is 3 years out now, but have to say as a new owner of the PLX, the unhinged dustcover is my only complaint!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Sure, but I don't think he'd heard all the other tables that were available at that time either. It's just a silly thing to put in a review, that's all I was trying to say. It detracts from the review content. My comment wasn't intended as a criticism of either the Pioneer or Technics tables, or Herb for that matter, though I don't care much for his reviews, he seems like an enthusiastic music and audio fan, and probably a great guy to hang around with and spin some records :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I prefer it like that. I don't have space to leave the dust cover opened, so I leave it on and take it off while playing.

4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Lol!! As one forum audiophile pointed out to me in you should know better terms: real audiophile TTs don't have a hinged dust cover. :laugh:

5. Slimwhit33

Fair enough! lol

Licorice pizza likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's a whole other assumption. I've yet to see any definitive evidence that they're manufactured at the Hanpin factory. By the logic one uses to make that claim: appearances, I could go to my local guitar shop and assume half the instruments are made at the same factory. The same with mattresses, and dozens of other products.

Now if someone had received correspondence from Pioneer that affirmed their contract with Hanpin, or a picture of a PLX in the Hanpin factory, that'd be some actual evidence.

Since your profile is top secret, may I ask what you currently use for a turntable?

7. awongkillabeez

awongkillabeez Well-Known Member

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This is incorrect. The pivot-to-spindle distance for the PLX-1000 is 215mm. Pioneer's specifications state that the effective length is 230mm and the overhang, 15mm. Therefore it should be 215mm. The difference between the PLX-1000 and the Technics SL-1200, as I stated earlier in this thread, is that the recommended alignment at 54mm from stylus tip to headshell washer (instead of Technics's 52mm) seems to indicate that the Pioneer tonearm is 2mm shorter. when I tested this with an arc protractor, it lined up perfectly.

Bob_in_OKC and punkmusick like this.
  9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Ha, ok, we'll wait for such evidence. Curious, since you think it's not a Hanpin, what do you think it is? Btw, it would be even more embarrassing for Pioneer if such bearings left their own, non-Hanpin factory.
    Thechnics 1200mk2, what else? :cool:

10. Slimwhit33

I’ve only had the PLX for a week, and the biggest issue I have with it is honestly all these Technics people who evidently don’t like listening to their Technics all that much since they spend way too much time commenting on a turntable they don’t own. It’s odd.

Wngnt90, Darren L, Helom and 4 others like this.
  11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Ah, those PLX people are so sensitive. Play a record, don't bother what some Technics people think of your PLX.

12. punkmusick

Actually he didn't say he thinks it's not a Hanpin, he said that there is no evidence that it is. Those are different statements and the latter doesn't imply the former. I don't know what he thinks.

displayname likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What do you think? Is it a Hanpin or?

14. punkmusick

Not sure. I've seen two Hanpins personally. They were very different from the PLX-1000. Different motor, different arm, different plinth, different feet... I've never seen a Hanpin that looked like the PLX-1000, but I haven't seen many.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Who cares where the PLX comes from as long as their users are satisfied with it ? Most, if not all, turntable manufacturers have models of varying quality. How one performs has no bearing on the performance of another. Rega's RP1 and RP10 are made by the same firm, should we assume they'll perform identically ?

Darren L, 33na3rd, HiFi Guy and 4 others like this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm curious why you think a country of that size and population doesn't have more than a single turntable manufacturer.

As I figured...just another Technics fanboy who's only here to disparage the PLX.

HiFi Guy, Bob_in_OKC and punkmusick like this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

There is another one, Yahorng. They manufacture the new Denon DJ turntable and probably the Numarks. You can tell them apart from Hanpins (Stanton, Audio Technica, Reloop...) which are similar between them and, like it or not, the PLX's (1000 and 500) share those similarities. Maybe there are more factories but these two are the most prominent. They may have several facilities.
    Don't agree with the second part. I'm here to read good things about the PLX and get pleasantly surprised after the initial flaws they showed.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Which ones were they?

19. punkmusick

Audio Technica 120 and 60

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

AT120 is PLX500 i.e. Hanpin DJ-3560, second on the list here: Hanpin Electron
    The PLX1000 is above it, the top model, DJ-5500.
    Of course, take this conditionally, as there is still no evidence, like joint statement in written form from the Hanpin and Pioneer CEO's.

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

:laugh:

displayname likes this.
  22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The DJ-5500 doesn't look like a PLX-1000 at all. It looks exactly like the A/T LP-1240.

23. punkmusick

PLX-500 is a different deck, not the one discussed here.

I've never seen a DJ-5500, so I went looking for pictures, it is very different from the PLX-1000. If you compare the pictures you'll notice that plinth and arm are different.

Then I went to see the specs:

- different weight
    - different size
    - different speeds
    - different pitch control
    - different start time
    - different S/N ratio
    - different arm length
    - different plinth damping
    - different arm damping

Maybe the manufacturer is the same, I don't doubt that and never did. I'm just not sure and I really don't care. But I'm pretty sure the PLX-1000 is not a DJ-5500, I'm afraid you're wrong here. You could have done the same research I did and would have found it for yourself. Took me 2 minutes. Now I believe that the people saying you are a troll might be right, so I consider this case closed. Gotta sleep now, almost midnight in Brazil. Cheers.

Specs found here:
    Hanpin DJ-5500 at Gearogs
    PLX-1000 - Professional Turntable

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Darren L, displayname and Slimwhit33 like this.
  24. Slimwhit33

It would be a much shorter exercise describing what’s the same..lol

punkmusick likes this.
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Of course, PLX is DJ-5500 cosmetically shaped to look as close as possible to a Technics 1200. DJ-5500 is the only deck out there that copies the Technics motor with the magnet on the platter and is a base for many differently branded tts mentioned above, that look differently but share the insides.
    In the words from someone in the know:
    "OEM means "original equipment manufacturer", and is the term given to a factory that makes a set of core products or parts for use across a range of brands. Very few DJ manufacturers have their own factories, and contract the work out to existing factories to make stuff for them. Technically, most DJ gear could be classed as OEM. Super OEM is a term coined for the Hanpin 5500 base model.

Hanpin makes 95% of the DJ turntables in the market. There are two models — the 3560 (low end) and the 5500 (high end). Hanpin will tweak designs to customer requirements to make them different, but more often than not, they remain true to the base design. Pioneer DJ made the PLX-1000 tonearm sufficiently different from the pack to get closer to Technics, but it's clearly still a Hanpin OEM product."

This is how it is and you cant change it. But yeah, let's wait for that CEO's joint statement.