Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. The discontinued Technics models and the Pioneer are pretty much on the same level, with the new Technics models above both.

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Oh my God. This is the definitive proof. A statement in the forum by someone else. It's a Hanpin. Definitely. There's nothing I can do but cry.

Worst part is that at the same time I had the proof, my turntable immediately started to sound like crap, a few seconds later it stopped working at all and then just simply exploded.

Get rid of your Pioneers before it's too late. I'm warning you all.

3. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

For the love of god... move on RPM... this is so boring.

Mrtn77, Stefan and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That someone else has close contacts in the dj industry and is one of the most referent dj equipment reviewers. But yeah, it's not as strong evidence as a Pioneer CEO statement.
    I agree, it is. Someone quoted my older post and brought the subject back, just had to answer.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  5. Slimwhit33

Sure.. go with that.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What does it mean? If you think it's not a good source, what do you suggest would be a reliable source to confirm or not, besides a CEO statement? On what do you base your disbelieve, I'm curious? I really would not have problem to correct my perception but it seems that those who think it's a Hanpin are a majority.
    And if it doesn't matter, why PLX fanboys get so upset when Hanpin gets mentioned?

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. Literally : the "Ignore" button is a godsend !

Slimwhit33, Stefan and displayname like this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

No one gets upset with the mention of Hanpin (which I believe the Pioneer to be).

Correction. The "old" Technics fanboys get mad because the Pioneer is every bit as good if not slightly superior to their old Technics models.

The new Technics models are superior to both. Fact. And no one in the Pioneer camp is upset about that either. The "old" Technics folks? Maybe. The demand for the old Technics models at horribly inflated prices is pretty much gone. Sure, they are still advertised, because they haven't been sold. No one in their right mind would overpay for an old used discontinued model when a vastly superior model is available for not much more (Technics) or equivalent new for the same or less (Pioneer).

9. Slimwhit33

Didn't know about that.. found it! lol That was easy.

10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Ummm Old Technics fanboy here - no - your fancy new Technics is NOT superior to my M5G - I'd be willing to wager on that. Yes it is nice - and has some cool boutique features - but performance wise it didn't fix anything because nothing was broken. And thanks to the greatness of the old Sl1200 - the new ones came back.

I say drop this "superior" nonsense. I'd bet most would be hard pressed to discern a difference between the 3.

Bob_in_OKC and Wngnt90 like this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The new ones have a vastly superior motor to any of their old models, yours included.

Underneath, it's a totally different turntable. It looks similar to the old models to pay homage.

And I don't have a Technics of any sort, old or new. And I no longer own a Pioneer. But if you think the M5G is better than a new 1200GR, you are beyond help.

displayname likes this.
  12. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I hope when you boys get through fighting over the provenance of the new Pioneer PLX1000 I will still be able to purchase a new turntable with direct drive that kicks some serious butt.
    I thought the OLD Technics SL1210M5G was very much an audiophile turntable especially if you cut off the leads and substituted female RCAs so you could run low capacitance ICs.
    Sounds like the new Pioneer is a bargain for a brand new direct drive table.
    Sounds like Technics is upping the game a bit IF you even NEEDED it to be upped at YOUR level.
    So...
    Please don't argue.
    These are GREAT days for snatching up a good deal on a table that kicks hiney.
    Now as for Cartridges...and phono pres.
    I gotta go.
    More research to do.
    But I'm leaning toward an Ortofon 2m Black as best MM for MY pre.
    And at the end of the day it is the total system that matters, NOT just one "magic widget."
    NO?

Bob_in_OKC, displayname and rebellovw like this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Please tell me why the specs are the same? What difference will I hear? If you actually believe that buying the new 1200GR and listening to it compared with my M5G will have a noticeable difference you are the one that needs help.

Bob_in_OKC and Wngnt90 like this.
  14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed - there is never a reason to argue. Just enjoy your turntable - don't spout how one table kicks another table - it is just silly. When properly setup - it is really tough to discern any meaningful differences. I have two great tables - I've put my money where my mouth is.

15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Check Massdrop for a great deal on the 2m Black- around $450.

displayname likes this.
  16. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I WILL admit to being somewhat nonplussed about the lack of testing directly comparing the sound of the OLD SL1210M5G to the NEW Technics tables.
    I would bet that at a really rarefied level the better motor MIGHT sound a bit cleaner.
    The slightly better arm MIGHT sound a little cleaner.
    BUT how is the WIRE?
    Is the new Technics arm wiring real low capacitance HiFi wiring like in the M5G?
    Arm wiring is a HUGE deal.
    If it is less than stellar you will never be able to hear your cart at its max.
    Meanwhile there are a lot of guys that love the older Porsche air cooled motors and won't buy into the new water cooled motors even IF they have more power.
    Excellence in design BOTH of them.
    But let's stop being silly.
    And let's start appreciating that Technics and Pioneer are even MAKING such great tables.
    Some of us always KNEW that they could.
    And some of us have been saying that for a VERY LONG TIME.
    Hello?
    Anybody there?
    Don't you have some more pressing issues to deal with in these days of wonder?

17. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed 100%.

18. Slimwhit33

So not saying I'm going to do this, but maybe... I loved my Blue. I now have a TT with fairly easy cart changes. Hmmm.

@HiFi Guy : Would I be able to use the 2m black with my current headshell? If so, I'll buy another one for the Black. I've read a lot lately about matching etc, but I still don't have a grasp on how to tell what cart works best with what.

HiFi Guy and displayname like this.
  19. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Yes, the 2m Black will work with the Jelco HS-20 headshell. The big deal with the Jelco is it allows azimuth adjustment and Baerwald alignment. The factory Pioneer headshell allows neither.

punkmusick likes this.
  20. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I said it before, I'll say it again...my box stock SL-1200 mk2 built in 2001 in not going anywhere anytime soon. That said I'm the last person to criticize what seems to be a very well built turntable by Pioneer. I have loads of vintage Pioneer amps and 2 of their vintage direct drive TT's...might have to consider buying a PLX-1000 to compliment one of my Pioneer stacks...

21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I don't think anyone here would try to convince you to get rid of it. But conversely I wonder why you feel the need to say so in a PLX thread.

punkmusick, displayname and Helom like this.
  22. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Free speech? Didn't read the edited post?

punkmusick likes this.
  23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No, I'd only read the first version, which seemed oddly gratuitous, if not somewhat provocative. Good on you for changing it !

punkmusick and Slimwhit33 like this.
  24. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I'm the last guy to slam anyone's choice of gear...we all like what we like for the reasons we like 'em...lol!

punkmusick likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There may be rogue samples but myself and others have tonearms that were fine out of the box. Has anyone got loose bearings from recently manufactured examples?