Pitchfork Best Albums 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott McBride, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

My album of the year...
    Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile never made the list.
    And I don't own anything on the list.

2. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I don't have any......and only have heard of maybe 1/4 of those on that list. I'm definitely a man out of time.

3. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

This one and prisoner by Ryan Adams.

gkella likes this.
  4. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident Thread Starter

So today Pitchfork has put up a top 20 Rock albums of the year. THIS I can appreciate! Again, not that the general list is bad but this one hits much harder for me and my interests. I have a few more of these and The War on Drugs record is #2. Sounds like they have some detractors here, but I find them to be an enjoyable mutation of a number of popular 80s artists. At this point in rock music, that kind of re-invention can still be noted as innovation.

george nadara likes this.
  5. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Why don't you tell us what you actually mean by this string of weirdness.

ralphb, Vince Gill and englishbob like this.
  6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

+1
    see also Tame Impala

7. englishbob

Needs more Beatles

8. englishbob

These end-of-year threads of top 50 of stuff type things based off lists from various music websites are certainly a strange beast with a negative outlook.

Before the internet, the publications like the NME, Melody Maker and Sounds used to produce their lists, and based on their write-up you would decide to take a punt on an artist you have never heard of before (and radio ignored) by going out and buying the record. Sometimes you came across a gem, sometimes you just wasted £10+

In this era, with the internet, if you haven't heard of an artist in a list, then the world is yours at absolutely near-zero expense to you, by checking out the likes of YouTube and Spotify to find something out. Just because you haven't heard of them shouldn't stop you from investigating it for a few minutes. You never know you might like it.

Seriously, burn your idols. Wanting the same-old from your previously established artists constantly in an ever decreasing circle of quality is not what loving music is about IMO. (And I didn't even mention U2)

brock, Boswell, AmosM and 5 others like this.
  9. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I own a dozen on the list. The only 1 in the top 10 is the Moses Sumney album I got from Vinyl Me Please and I found it to be incredibly boring. I'm surprised it's number 6. I do agree that the lack of Father John Misty is noticeable, but really it's a typical Pitchfork best of list. I was happy to see Jay Som so high in the list, one of my favorite discoveries this year.

10. englishbob

Father John Misty being absent is a plus point.

KeninDC likes this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Funny. I only have one album from that list.

12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

You own 2? Impressive. That's 2 more than me.

13. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I own one from the list and have only heard of nine of these artists. This list does make curious enough to listen to the other 49 albums from the library.

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Every year the Pitchfork list sends me scurrying to Spotify to check out various titles. And then confirming why I didn't seek them out to begin with. How does this list not have the Barnett/Vile album or Ryan Adams? They lose credibility with me when they do stuff like this.

15. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I seem to have more from the Albumism best list.

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yet another uber white list made (mostly) by uber privileged uber white people trying their uber-most to have their finger on the pulse of black culture. as usual, they failed uber miserably.

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

14 for me so far on Pitchfork's 2017 list, but I feel increasingly adrift on memory bliss. I'm still discovering amazing recordings from the 7o's (!?) that I missed, heheh. Such is life, storage issues, money and access. And although I still enjoy their reviews they still seem the snobby upstarts on the scene, but when Rolling Stone, Uncut, Spin, etc. often give 60 word reviews of no-consequence commercial albums it's difficult to find any other contenders.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  18. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

You know, I bought both those albums. They are both fine albums, but it honestly perplexes me that people consider them among the year's best. As much as I enjoyed Prisoner, Ryan Adams has made much better records, and the Courtney Barnett / Kurt Vile album is in no way as good as her debut.

19. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

They didn’t rate either of those albums very high so it’s in no way a surprise that they weren’t on the list.

You can generally use whether or not they named an album Best New Music as a baseline to determine their list. It’s not a hard fast rule but anything that gets like a 6.3 isn’t sniffing their list...

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  20. dammitjanet

dammitjanet Fun, natural fun

I fell in love with the Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile album! Granted it may be because some of the songs remind me of other songs that I like... but it's a solid album with a nice warm sound. Better than the Fleet Foxes album in my opinion, which was fine but underwhelming.

Also loved Perfume Genius' No Shape and anything St Vincent does.

gkella likes this.
  21. Moth

Moth fluttering by

That album may be my #1 for this year.

deege3000 likes this.
  22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I will definitely give those artists a listen.

23. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Uber what?

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like looking through those "best of" lists. Especially the quietus & similar sites. The usually have stuff I've never heard of. Some are worth checking out.
    Pitchfork is fine. They usually have a lot of hip hop on it, which isn't my thing. I couldn't care less about listening to rappers.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Thats uber presumptuous.

thrivingonariff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.