Pixar announces Incredibles 2 and Cars 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JFS3, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would agree that The Incredibles was a far more satisfying film than Fantastic Four. I still think they can make a good Fantastic Four film someday, but they're making some... uh, unusual decisions on the new one:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03...cast-six-months-before-they-are-due-to-shoot/

You know, it's been a movie convention since the invention of sound that all animals (except man) can somehow talk to each other. I can kind of shrug and accept that in Bambi, the deer, rabbits, owls, and even skunks can communicate -- no big deal. So I can also buy into different kinds of fish, an octopus, a shark, and a sea slug all communicating in Finding Nemo or Little Mermaid. I buy that more than a foot-long fish having the brainpower to read the words "Sydney, Australia" underneath a boat, which my cat -- three times bigger -- can't do.

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

And the Pixar decline continues. Cars 3? Really?

FWIW, I did love the first Incredibles, but they've waited too long to do a sequel...

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you just dig to deep! it's a fantasy...but, at least the cars look somewhat like cars do.
    ...the fish talk so they can read as well?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, I can buy into the movie convention that we're hearing an "instant translation" so we understand what they're saying in another language, without subtitles. That's fine. Reading is a bigger stretch. I liked Finding Nemo quite a bit, but this one plot issue bugged the hell outta me. Cars is a train wreck (mixing my metaphors). I have no problem with The Incredibles, since you have to buy into people having magical/science-fictional powers. That works for me.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm waiting for Trains.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah just like toy story 3 and that sucked!:laugh:

7. It's kinky and that's why we don't see what goes in the doors and sits in the seats.

Good news-Incredibles 2, bad news Cars 3.

8. The casting and everything else makes me really wonder if FF4 reboot will be another dog. At least the casting for two or three of the roles in the first two films Fox did was pretty good (Alba, not so much. Can that girl act? No evidence to date).
    Edit: If they do recast, it would do the film a favor.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they all work for me...some I don't care for some are just fun as they were meant to be.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

So, people with superpowers are believable, but a fish in an animated cartoon reading a book isn't? :laugh:

SILLY!

11. progrocker71

I would say the casting for the reboot is a hell of a lot more solid than what we were saddled with in the previous series.

Miles Teller - EXCELLENT performance in 2013's "The Spectacular Now" and rave reviews about his performance in the upcoming "Whiplash" that was screened at Sundance.

Michael B. Jordan - Critical raves for his performance in 2013's "Fruitvale Station" and he was fine in a recurring role on Parenthood.

Kate Mara - She came to my attention in 2008 for a fine performance in "Transsiberian" and also had a recurring role on House of Cards.

Those 3 choices alone I'll take over the casting choices from the initial series.

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

They've run out of ideas, haven't they? I think "Toy Story III" and "Up!" were their last real classics. Well, you can't produce winners every time, I guess.

13. progrocker71

Completely original story = Big risk.
    Sequel = Minimal risk.

14. I would disagree. I felt that the casting for Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis was spot on and Ioan Gruffudd was fine as Mr. Fantastic even if the role was a bit underwritten. The only bad one was Alba.

Jordan doesn't match the classic Johnny Storm in my mind. I'm casting the best actor in the role but he just isn't Johnny Storm. Kate Mara is a fine actress but she doesn't "fit" the look of Sue Storm in my mind.

Either way, it sounds like they might be considering recasting as well as rewriting and recruiting a new director. This isn't promising.

By the way, Evans and Gruffudd were both critically acclaimed for their previous roles in films and TV shows as was Chiklis but it all comes down to 1) the writing 2) how convincing the can carry the role 3) the direction.

FF4 and ROTSS had weaknesses in the writing and the direction was particularly weak.

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Flavorwire: Is Pixar Out of Ideas?

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly. On the other hand, don't ask me "if Pluto is a dog, then what is Goofy?" :sigh:

goodiesguy and Yovra like this.
  17. progrocker71

i was going strictly by the actors themselves, never read a Fantastic Four comic in my life.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very thoughtful article!

In just four short years, that brand has been diluted and damaged, perhaps immeasurably. It’s easy to see how the company was fooled by the Toy Story series into believing that sequelizing was the way to go; it was, after all, a film trilogy where each successive entry both made more money and was a better movie than its predecessor. But that series is a double-unicorn — sequels that meet just one of those criteria are a rarity, and doing both is all but impossible. Cars 2, a sequel that nobody wanted, made a mint but gave Pixar its first true critical failure, and while Monsters University nearly outgrossed Monsters, Inc., its notices were markedly less enthusiastic. (And let’s not even get into Planes, Disney’s junior varsity Cars spin-off.) Meanwhile, good luck finding anybody over the age of 15 who was all that wild about Brave, their only original project since 2009. If this was the best new idea they had for us, is it possible that they’re just out of good ideas?

I'm sorry to say I think the article has some merit. But I'm sure Disney and Pixar would argue, "hey, our movies are making more money than ever, and even if some critics hated Cars 2, it made $560M and grossed another $500M with toys." So from a business perspective, they're doing fine.

If you ask me, a big reason why Pixar isn't making as many good films is because Brad Bird took off to do his own thing. Right now, he's working on the visual effects for Tomorrowland, which I think will be a very, very interesting film next year.

If you believe the industry scuttlebutt today, they're jettisoning all the actors and the directors and going in a different direction. I won't comment either way on the casting, but it's clear that fans were bothered by some departures from the way the characters were depicted for 50 years in the comic book.

19. Indifferent on this.

Cars was ok, Cars 2 was mediocre, so I don't really care what happens with Cars 3.

The Incredibles is a different story. My favorite Pixar movie. Loved it. Wanted more. Looked forward to a sequel.

....but there was definitely a big part of me that said "This Movie was pretty close to perfect - don't f*** it up". I am very concerned that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to match the charm, creativity, and keep it entertaining for both children and Adults. I have serious reservations.

20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Makes want to watch "Stand By Me" again! :)

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Was I supposed to be surprised?

22. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

TS3 may not have sucked (completely), but it WAS unnecessary.

23. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Thomas the Tank Engine already exists.

goodiesguy and Geoff like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aw, Toy Story 3 was a wonderful film. I know a lot of tough guys who were reduced to tears by it... plus, it made over a billion dollars, which ain't bad. And... 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, which almost never happens. That's an extraordinarily high rating.

I say, if a movie is a critical rave, it makes an enormous amount of money, and I personally like it, then I'm inclined to say it's a good movie.

25. progrocker71

I'm not afraid to say it, the choices weren't white-bread enough, I saw the internet explode the day the casting was announced; Hollywood shoving their "interracial agenda" down our throats. Sad if the studio caved to that crap.

goodiesguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.