Pixar announces Incredibles 2 and Cars 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JFS3, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

An interracial Fantastic Four would have gone totally against the comic book, but I'd be more concerned about how stupid the script was. The last couple of Fantastic Four movies weren't nearly in the league of Spiderman, Avengers, Iron Man, etc., and I think that's what Marvel and Fox were hoping for.

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Tom Hanks has apparently said TS4 is in development. :rolleyes:

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think he was being sarcastical.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Disney is preparing to saturate theaters, Star Wars, Pixar, etc...

I look forward to viewing Incredibles 2, the rest will have to wait for a while.

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Where was all the uproar about Jessica Alba then? She's mixed race (father is Mexican), but see, she's so hot nobody cared.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, the real Sue Storm in the comic book was a very white-bread blonde, and Jessica Alba is not exactly that type. I thought she wasn't that bad in the first two movies -- in fact, I thought the casting was pretty good for all four characters -- and Ms. Alba is clearly a very beautiful woman.

I don't think it's racist for a filmmaker to insist that actors match the fictional depictions of the characters as written. I would be as opposed to a white guy playing a black role or an Asian guy playing a Hispanic man, particularly given the lack of roles for minority actors. But there are always actors who will surprise you; I'm reminded of Linda Hunt, who won an Oscar for playing a Chinese-Australian man in The Killing Fields.

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

It was....OK. Often if a movie is a hit there's enough good ideas left over to make a half decent sequel - but a third movie is still a stretch.

Maybe I'm just a bit jaded from working in the industry, but it all felt very predictable. Most likely that's just down to the fact that it was the third in the series, so I knew the characters, how they would react and so forth.

So we'll have to agree to disagree in TS3.

But I agree with you 100% on Finding Nemo (fish that can read?) and Cars (everything!)

And I'm not a fan of the talking dogs that can fly aeroplanes in Up either....

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't forget the 263 critics' reviews that also praised Toy Story 3:

[​IMG]
    I gotta say, I got a little misty-eyed in the scene where all the toys are on the conveyer belt to Certain Death, and also the scene where the now-grown kid decides to donate his old toys to a child down the street. Very moving. It's rare that filmmakers can squeeze out genuine emotion from animation... especially computerized animation. Stuff like this represents what I think Pixar does best.

Brad Bird's best films, like The Impossibles and Iron Giant, also found a way to do more than just make audiences laugh and show conflict and battles between characters, and make you feel something reel. It takes a lot of talent to pull that off.

Drifter likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hunt won for "Year of Living Dangerously" - it was Haing Ngor who won for "Killing Fields"...

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always get those movies confused!

11. progrocker71

The latest uproar in Hollywood is Warner Bros. casting white actress Rooney Mara to play the native-American role of Tiger Lily in the upcoming Peter Pan film.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...as-casting-as-tiger-lily-in-pan-re-opens.aspx

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta admit, I rolled my eyes at the dogs that could talk in Up. I forgot they could fly planes as well. The last third of that movie was totally bizarre... and yet I could buy into a guy who had balloons that could raise his house and take him to another continent. Talking dogs? No (with or without magic electronic dog collars).

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cat.jpg
    I'll bet this will have you in a tizzy!

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Saw it! Not a good movie... but at least they had an explanation on why the cats and dogs had human intelligence. (Not a good explanation, but at least there was a stab.)

15. progrocker71

I have a very simple rule. Animated films and cartoons (whether CGI or hand drawn) are NOT REALITY, so I don't put unrealistic expectations on them to mirror reality. Cats can drive, dogs can be certified public accountants, elephants can fly, ducks can carry guns and try to hunt wabbits, THERE ARE NO RULES BECAUSE IT'S A DAMN CARTOON! Isn't that the entire point of an animated film in the first place, to do things you can't do in reality?

When I watched Looney Tunes as a kid I wasn't sitting there critiquing the Road Runner cartoons for their questionable physics, or how a coyote could talk and get mail order bomb delivery, I didn't care because IT'S A DAMN CARTOON and it's FUN!

Bryan likes this.
  16. Michael

Damn! I thought I had you on that one...good answer.

17. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Where did Wile E. Coyote get the money to buy all that stuff? It ruined the whole show!

18. Michael

in his day job he was a salescoyote for Acme products!

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And if he had the money to buy all that stuff, why not buy FOOD, too? The friggin' roadrunner didn't even look appetizing - he was scrawny and lacked much meat. The coyote could've purchased all sorts of good food with the money he wasted on anvils and rockets!

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

yes! but, he worked in the old building before the reconstruction.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At least that was only a 7-minute cartoon! A whole feature, I might have a problem with. I don't have a problem with any funny animal cartoons, where a talking duck/rabbit/whatever is walking around in a human world; that's a movie tradition that's been going on since the invention of sound (and Mickey Mouse). I'll buy into that.

Anybody who remembers Chuck Jones Productions' old office at the Sunset & Vine tower, he used to have a sign on the door under his name: "Acme Products... We Build Great Acmes!"

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm all in for Incredibles II - the first one was perfect and the short was hilarious.

Vidiot and PH416156 like this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I think some of you take this type of stuff too seriously. That said, I always said Pixar was overrated.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There has to be some grounding in reality, as I said in the Cars thread. It'd be too much of a shock to have Bugs Bunny suddenly grow wings or pluck his own eye out or do something completely out of character. There has to be an underlying foundation of "cartoon logic" that still moves from point A to point B. But cartoon logic can also dictate that when a character runs off a cliff, they hover for a moment, stare helplessly at the camera, then plummet to certain doom. One can argue that this violates the laws of physics... but it's funny, and it's an accepted trait of cartoon logic. Often, the limitations of what the character can and cannot do add up to big laughs.

There's a dozen examples of this in Roger Rabbit, which I think is a movie that works extremely well. They walked a tightrope in that one, since they have cartoon characters in an all-human world, and they also have human characters in an all-cartoon world (Toontown). Roger even comments at one point about the logic of why he didn't try to get out of the handcuffs for about 15 minutes in the film, explaining to detective Bob Hoskins, "I couldn't do it back then because it wasn't funny!" Good point, and I'll buy into that.

Me personally, I can't wait for The Incredibles 2, and it's a movie I quote from every so often. "My god... you've gotten fat!" "No capes!" Ya gotta love Edna Mode...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.