Pixar's Coco (Teaser Trailer)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The teaser for PIxar's next movie Coco is out.

It looks like an interesting and original movie and needless to say it looks gorgeous. I love the character design and color palette we see in this.

Nobody but nobody can make a purdy "tug at your heartstrings" movie quite like Pixar. :)

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Review: Pixar And Disney's 'Coco' Is Magnífico

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Although a little too kiddy for me, I love every thing about this. Guitars & Day of the Dead stuff. I'll end up watching at some point.

4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I took the family to watch it last night. It was a sweet film with wonderful visuals and likable characters. Oddly enough, the soundtrack reminded me of 1970's Tex-Mex AM radio.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The movie was fantastic, but oof! that Frozen "short." If that's what the movie was like, I'm glad I never saw it.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the movie. Well done!!!

Brilliant colors..

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I was basically misty-eyed the entire time, and sometimes a blubbering mess. I've got some Mexican heritage in me and spent time in Mexico as a kid. "Coco" has been called a love letter to Mexico. It absolutely is. It's also about family, parenthood and children, second chances, etc. Also, it's friggin' beautiful. I can't wait to see it again.

However, that "Frozen" short....:wtf: Utter garbage, cynically pandering and painfully boring. What a waste, particularly since Pixar (technically it was Disney) shorts were traditionally where they showcased their most whimsical, fun and creative work. Yuck.

dan c

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Is that for a sequel? I saw the original and pretty much hated it. Yeah, I know I wasn't the target audience, but I liked many other Pixar movies.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It's a Christmas-themed short before "Coco". It has the syrupy makings of one of those direct-to-video sequels or prequels Disney made bank on in the 90s. It felt looooooooong, but was, I dunno, 30 minutes? Felt like 90. My three-year-old loves "Frozen" but got squirmy during this short. It couldn't hold a toddler's attention...you know that's a bad sign. It also took valuable attention span time away from the brilliant feature. I resent that.

dan c

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Olaf's Frozen Adventure" is 21 minutes, but I agree it feels longer. I think that's partly because I didn't expect it to be so frickin' long - I figured it'd be the usual 7 minutes or so!

I don't think it's bad, but I do feel it's way too long - it runs out of steam well before it ends...

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

For the record, "Frozen" wasn't Pixar - it was Disney.

It gets confusing since Disney distributes Pixar - and Pixar head honcho John Lasseter runs Disney. (Well, maybe not any longer, but that's a separate subject... :sigh:)

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  12. PaulKTF

The real purpose of the Frozen short is to remind kids of Frozen so they're excited for when Frozen 2 comes out in 2019. I expect we'll see another Frozen short next year and I bet Frozen 2 does very well for Disney both at the box office and in merchandise sales.

Maybe not as amazing as the first movie, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Saw Coco this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a lot. Not a big fan of Frozen but it was on a endless loop for well over a year at my house due to my granddaughters. I saw it so many times I actually started to like it. So I can certainly understand why those of you who never saw Frozen wouldn't appreciate the Christmas short. The thing that flashed through my mind was the level of artistry it contained for an animated short. The voice talent, the music, the humor all for something that is just a bridge to tide over the kiddies until the sequel comes(and to keep the fire burning for brand merchandise.)

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw the movie Thanksgiving day.

Very good movie. The short did nothing for me and was way too long.

15. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Saw the movie tonight with my kids. Unbelievably good. I started laughing out loud when I realized the set designer was supposed to be Freda Khalo. "People crawl out of a Papaya and they are all me, and they climb a cactus which is also me. Is it all a bit too obvious?" Hah!

Only complaint was the swerve at the end with the big-shot music guy that I thought was a bit superfluous. There was already plenty going on with the plot, I don't think you needed a twist on top of everything else. Sometimes it's OK for a movie to not have an antagonist.

The Frozen short was far too overblown for a pre-movie show. Should have been a Christmas special on ABC. It probably will be. The directors at Disney need to learn from Pixar - keep things concise and tight. You also don't need four songs in a 20 minute show - one is pushing it. Also the songs came off a bit as musical theater - "I'm Singing What I'm Doing" and plot device and next song and plot device and next song...

Dan C likes this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

A friend texted me that he read the Frozen short is being dropped for the remainder of “Coco’s” run, both because it sucks and because it’s nearly 40 looooong minutes (including trailers) for little kids to wait before the feature starts. Good!! If that’s true I can go see it again now.

dan c

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

Never mind the kids, I wouldn't want to have to wait 40 minutes for the movie! :) I already hate waiting 20 minutes for the previews to end. Putting a 21 minute Frozen short on top of that was a really dumb idea.

Dan C likes this.
  18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That. Is. Hilarious! :laugh:

Also, meekly inquiring...any compaison to Fox's Book of Life...? Interesting seeing two CGI featurs involving the same subject released so closely to one another...

20. PaulKTF

forthlin and Dan C like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Dan C likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Saw Coco tonight and we really thought it was wonderful. The opening scenes SO reminded me of my wife's home town, and Coco herself reminded me a lot of her mom's mom. I liked the twists and turns and the imagination displayed in the movie; a bit like Studio Ghibli in a way. It also reminded me of my uncle (RIP), my elderly mom and dad, my aging dog...that aspect of the movie is the most human and the toughest. I taught at a school that would compete in a Dia De Los Muertos altar contest and win every year, and I must say the movie really made me think more about that tradition and gives me a new respect for the family-made altars.
    Go see it!

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Other than sharing the obvious touchstones of their "Day of the Dead" setting, they are very different movies, both worth seeing. I like the graphic style of Book of Life a little better than Coco. Story wise, I think Coco is a little more effective. Again, both very good and worth your time.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I found Book of Life to be a blast of color, and amazing graphic design...like banging on a pinata, and having confetti explode out of it. Looking forward to Coco...now that Olaf has been run out of town!

The Illusionist and The Prestige were two very different movies as well...but that didn't keep people from wondering what was up when they both found themselves in theatres within weeks of one another.
    Then there was Olympus Has Fallen just a re-write away from White House Down.
    And, while we're talking about the CGI-toon market, what about Antz and A Bugs Life...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.