PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anybody checked out the vinyl reissue of "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea"? I'd love some comments on the SQ.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Do you have a link for this?

3. ad180

A seller on Discogs has some for sale:
    http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/P-...y-Stories-From-The-Sea/78897380?ev=bp_rel_det

I sent the seller an email asking if this was a legit release and asked for catalog number/barcode/etc.

He didn't make a new Discogs listing for this reissue, instead listing it under the 2000 version (incidentally, I hate this practice... if you're using Discogs to sell your stuff, update the database with the repress info!).

You know, I just assumed this was a legit release, but since I can't find any other links to it I will assume this is a pirated copy.

4. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Could be a counterfeit... haven't heard about a reissue, but would be VERY interested.

But judging by that Discogs seller's other items, probably a boot.

5. ad180

Wow, I didn't even look at his other items. Yeah, this one has gotta be a counterfeit.

Sorry to get hopes up. I will not pay the going rates for this album (or any album, really). It's a shame it's not in print.

Did the original LP sound better than the CD?

6. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

It's on sale everywhere, but sadly it's not legit but a bootleg... Guess it's of the same orgin as the recent Murder Ballads Nick Cave' bootleg.

I have not seen or heard a copy yet - and i'm in no interest myself as i have the original.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Surprised Universal have not reissued this and other PJ releases on Back to Black to follow 4 Track Demos. Agree this is a fake. Is there any way of reporting misdescribed items on Discogs? Several copies listed at £14.99 whiich is too cheap for a legit Universal release. Price would be likely around £20. Current Universal releases can be found on the Uvinyl web site.

http://www.uvinyl.co.uk/

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well....thats what happens when record companies sleep. Unfortunately. Since only one seller has this, there is no copy on Ebay this has to be a brand new counterfeit. Because there is no official repress. Yet. I guess they will fake "Is This Desire" next.

9. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I assume it's a pirated copy too. I purchased one from this seller last week, and couldn't get much info from him in regards to the pressing.
    Ah well... I hope it at minimum sounds better than my CD version. :winkgrin:

10. Neonbeam

You should return it because it is worth nothing. I never understood why people see counterfeits as an alternative to CDs.

Ebay seems to check the listings more carefully these days but Discogs needs to do something about these "recent represses".

11. Classicrock

At least they may do it without the sticky groove. :)

Problem is this has just appeared. Discogs normaly list known 'unofficial' releases under each title. They certainly need to be alerted about this one.

12. ad180

I assume they just cut lacquers using a CD (unless they used a needle drop which I highly doubt).

13. Neonbeam

There is some truth about the sticky groove, I've heard this claim many times. Ridiculous when you consider what people pay for it...

14. Classicrock

My copy has it but I'm sure my previous cartridge got through it at least once. The AT ML just sticks and it's had a couple cleans on my RCM. It is certainly not a rumour. Try googling.

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Pretty sure you just bought a poorly mastered and pressed copy of your CD.

16. ad180

I reported the seller and explained that it was an unofficial release and the seller should make a new entry for the album before listing it for sale.

You can too: http://www.discogs.com/support/new

17. Overfloater8

Overfloater8 Forum Resident

I got suckered on Stories by the Sea. It is awful sounding. Like hearing the album from down a hallway.

Return.

18. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

Strange i never heard or experienced this sticky groove. Only got one copy now, but owned 3-4 copies all without this issue.

19. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

This website is listing this as a new re-issue from 18/06/13. Wonder if it's official or not? The fact that it comes with a download might be a good sign.
    www.vinyljunk.com

Not seeing it listed on Amazon UK.

20. Neonbeam

21. Classicrock

Just looked at the 'Is This Desire' listing. States label as 'Iceland' - rather suspicious. I would snap these up if genuine and superior pressings than the originals. - I've just realised it's a Google Chrome German to English translation error changing from Island. :whistle:

22. Neonbeam

JPC never did counterfeits. And the presence of a download code is a very good sign!

23. christiaens danny

christiaens danny New Member

24. christiaens danny

christiaens danny New Member

hello, i'am the owner of vinyljunk webstore, yes it is a official release of universal recordings lp+download. two weeks they have released the first three lp's of deus (very limited 1000 copies colored vinyl)
    I answer because on web circulate that i do illegal business, but i sell only new legal lp's. I have ordered the whole back catalogue for my own expect let england shake because i buyed this vinyl two years ago
    only the lp dry is for the moment not in pre-order.
    kindly regards
    danny

25. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

So has anyone compared the sound from original vinyl with this reissue?? How does it sound??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.