Places to buy blank cassette tapes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jasonb, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tried a search on the forum but couldn't find anything. I wanted to play around with using my Nakamichi and make tapes for my older car with a tape deck but apart from eBay is there anywhere online to get new blank tapes like Maxell or TDK without spending a fortune.

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

4. Jasonb

5. Jasonb

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Big fan of the maxel xl2, bought thousands of them back in the day.

7. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have two TDK's that are still in the wrapper. You can have them if you want.

Jasonb and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Jasonb

Thanks. I came across some by the side of the road one day. Looked like someone had dumped them out of their car. Made me think about tapes again. Don't go to the expense but I appreciate it.

9. Jasonb

Me too

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I would not recommend a 100/110 minute blank. EVER.

I got 2 10 packs of these last year for $36 each...WTF has happen to the price????? $249 now????

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Metal-Xr-Minute-Audiocassette/dp/B0079KBBWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447218503&sr=8-1&keywords=sony metal xr

Jasonb likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No new Type II or Type IV tape is being manufactured currently. Basic Type I tape still manufactured.

Jasonb likes this.
  12. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Don't know if there are any around you, but Half Price Books sometimes has sealed ones for $1 each.

Jasonb likes this.
  13. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Every dollar store I go to has piles and piles of blank cassettes. Maybe try there. I have about 50 blanks put away as every car that I own has a cassette player or a CD / cassette combo player; the Germans maintained cassette technology, in conjunction with CD, much longer than most other automakers.

Jasonb and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I used them the whole time I had cassettes. Never had a problem with it.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  15. Hannah

Hannah Only love can conquer

macster and HiFi Guy like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

From old stock pancakes, when they run out, or can't be sourced anew, no more.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

18. Hannah

Hannah Only love can conquer

Yes I've tried them, I like them. I used to use TDK SAX tapes and the Studio Masters sound just as good to me. The packaging is a little generic, but the tapes are good. It's BASF tape.

That may be. But it seems to me that the way the kids are amping up the profile of cassettes - whatever the reason - someone is going to start to manufacture the raw stock again. Money rules the day, and if someone can make money producing tape again, they will.

I'm not particularly a fan of tape, but then I wasn't a fan of vinyl either, but the marketplace is, so there you go.

19. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

Canuck Audio Mart (and believe some on US Audio mart too) have had several recent tape lots for sale. W/ Canadian $ at around $.070 US, worth a look.

20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I picked up a sealed 10 pack of TDK D Normal Bias cassettes at a flea market for a few bucks. To my surprise they sound pretty good and I'm about to run out. I went on eBay last week and found the same NOS sealed 10 pack for $11 shipped. I'm happy.

21. Jasonb

Yes the TDK D's seem to be the easiest to pick up for decent prices. $11 for 10 is good. Twice that on Amazon.

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

This video name checks a manufacturer of high-bias tapes:

23. harby

harby Forum Resident

Yup, that and Maxell Metal MX-S are top tier. Maxell XLII-S is also a staple. With an excellent three-head deck with Dolby C, HX Pro, and bias adjust, you can switch the tape monitor on and off blind and not be able to reliably discern between the CD source and what's coming off the tape.

Don't click on the video above, a waste of time. This guy just learned about different tape types.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

25. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I don't quite buy the "cassette comeback" thing just yet. Sure, you have some artists who are putting stuff out on cassette, but I don't think we can reliably say cassette tapes are making a comeback like vinyl until you have hi-fi companies making new equipment like companies have started doing for vinyl. But who knows, maybe I'm just some kid talking out of my a**. Back on topic though, has anyone tried these: 60 MINUTE HIGH BIAS TYPE II STUDIO QUALITY BOXED AUDIO CASSETTE - 10 PACK BOX | eBay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.