Plain Recordings Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fruer, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruer

fruer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know what the story is with this company? I've seen them putting out a lot of lesser available indie recordings as of late, and am curious about the sources used. Anyone have any experiences or knowledge? Good or bad?

2. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I'm quite happy with the My Bloody Valentine releases. I think they also put out some of the Flaming Lips releases and they were fine also.

3. fruer

fruer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Outstanding. Now I'll look forward to some of the recently announced reissues!

4. OnlySleeping23

OnlySleeping23 Forum Resident

They're two Elliott Smith re-issues left much to be desired, IMHO.

5. attym

attym Forum Resident

They're reissuing the Black Crowes - Southern Harmony. Do we know what sources they tend to use?

6. attym

attym Forum Resident

It looks like, at least for some (if not all) releases, they do go back to the original tapes.

7. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

how do you know?¿

8. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I've been waiting patiently on their Pulp This is Hardcore, as well as The Breeders' Pod and Last Splash.

They keep getting pushed back, but I'm hoping they put them out by end of the Summer.

9. sf74

sf74 Active Member

This is Hardcore was released this week. I picked it up from Amoeba yesterday. Haven't listened to it yet though.

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

Thumbs down for me: I bought Loveless sealed maybe 7 years ago.. had a big scratch... record store would not take it back

11. attym

attym Forum Resident

Plain Recordings

You'll see on some, its listed as being from the original master tapes (My bloody valentine)

12. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Great news! Hopefully mine will ship from Insound soon.

13. John

John Senior Member

Looks like Southern Harmony is slated for a May 19 issue. Acoustic Sounds is showing it as a 2 disc set. I may have to check this out. Any additional comments on Plain's vinyl quality? I hope its all analog right down to the preview head, and from a good tape because the CD is quite good...

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

However, that's not the same as an all-analog pressing.

The "remastering from the original master tapes" could just be a digital remaster which they used to cut the vinyl.

15. attym

attym Forum Resident

Very true, I 'll take that over direct from CD though... at least there is some info given.

16. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I have the Primus, Lemonheads, and Mr. Bungle releases and I think they're quite good. Very quiet (ie, clean, not scratchy), full-sounding presses.

funknik likes this.
  17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I saw the Pulp LP this week, as well as The La's debut LP.

Can anybody comment on these releases? I've been wanting to track down an original UK copy of The La's, but will spring for this one if the quality is good.

18. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

How so? Vinyl issues or just the fidelity of the tapes used? I'm curious as "From a Basement from the Hill", which was an Anti release, sounds really good.

19. B_a_R

B_a_R Forum Resident

Saw the Elliott copies in a store this week. Covers look pretty crappy, bad scans of orig artwork. No one i know has heard the wax... highly doubt they got access to the 1/4" masters... Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

20. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Plain releases titles that are very hard to find and they are acceptable - they are very good for their price level. You can't expect a full analog remaster from the original master, nice cover, RTI pressing, at this price ... I wish everyone could see how the costs come out and then you would understand these mid price releases. The My Bloody Valentines are around $13 and we are talking about whether they are "completely" analog - ahhh. They are well worth the money.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Another "Plain" thread where I can kick dirt at them again, eh?

Their Mr. Bungle reissues were a disgrace. They are a skid mark on the underpants of the vinyl industry. The LPs were delayed about 10 months and then turned out to be steaming pieces of mule dung. Awful sound, barely audible. 70 minute LPs crammed onto single platters. Cardboard sleeves that are split on arrival. They SUCK. I would never give them another red cent. Any company that would allow the release of such lackluster product clearly has no business cutting vinyl.

22. pedrohead

pedrohead Forum Resident

Red House Painters "Songs for a Blue Guitar" is actually pretty good. Elliott Smith "Figure 8" is worthless.

23. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

QFT.

And… I honestly don't hold out much hope for The Breeders either. The original pressings were excellent, and given Plain's track record, I doubt they will match or exceed them.

24. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

I dont know.. the colored vinyl ween box was superb..

I guess it depends.....Also I agree that if one can get an impossible to find LP for $13 thats got to be worth something (if it plays).. at worse you have the big cover art!

they just happen to be reissuing some of the most cherished and hard to find titles around...

the real question is why isn't anybody else issuing these titles?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.