Planet of The Apes (1968) back in theaters this month

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Indy500, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So how does this work? They don't send out prints anymore right? Digital download? Live streaming? I love this movie and would love to see it again on the big screen but I don't want to be disappointed by the quality.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Impressive in the cinema in 1968.
    Looks like a period TV movie now.

3. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Saw Willy Wonka recently. Part of the same series presented by TCM/Fathom. Quality similar to blu-ray release.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Battle for the Planet of the Apes", with the lowest production values of the franchise does look and feel like a made for TV movie... But "Planet" (1968), no way!

5. alexpop

Look at the rock scenes/ape Village again.

6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

By "rock scenes", are you referring to the beginning portion of the film, with the astronauts trek leading up to them finding the green belt?

7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Wait, someone thinks an old movie looks dated? Whaaaa?

I've watched and both enjoyed and loathed both films and TV movies from this era, and "Planet of the Apes" does not look "like a period TV movie."

Like any movie nearing 50 years old, it will show some limitations and seem dated in some ways. I guess they should have invented CGI in 1968 or blew $100 million in 1968 dollars so that 50 years later someone wouldn't say it looks like a TV movie. :sigh:

As someone else pointed out, it was the later Apes films that looked more like TV movies. I think "Planet of the Apes" is actually a weird film to peg as being cheap or dated, as it actually ages pretty well for a film from 1968.

Mark Nelson, sgtmono, sami and 5 others like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I think the original film stands up pretty well too. I remember at the time how much was made of the meticulous ape facial makeup, taking like 6 hours or so to apply. It still looks good today. Sure, some of the interior sets were a little Flintstone like, but that's part of the aesthetic and technical capabilities of that society.

longdist01 and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  9. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Only film I saw as a kid when it came out on the silver screen was "Battle". I was thrilled as a kid, I know my Grandmother that took me had to be bored to tears :)

The original Planet Of The Apes is one of my all time favorite movies. To be able to see it at the local Cinemark, which has the best digital projection in my area, is a real thrill. The film is of its time, but it's still amazing and timeless.

sami and Deesky like this.
  10. alexpop

Statue of Liberty scene was out of this world in 1968 on big screen.
    Almost 50 year's ago.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  11. Wait, are you saying it was Earth all along? A spoiler tag would have been nice.

:)

The only thing dated in this movie to me is Lucious' dialog.

willy, F_C_FRANKLIN and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Yeah man, what a bumner in the sumner. :)

Shawn likes this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:confused: Why the Statue of Liberty should appear on a movie that takes place in another world? Isn't the planet of apes far away?? :confused:

F_C_FRANKLIN and Shawn like this.
  14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

sgtmono, milankey, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Mark Nelson likes this.
  16. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I first saw "POTA" in the '90's, and I knew the end, though I can't say specifically how. I think it's just gone into the culture.

But even knowing it, it's still a powerful scene.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I've mentioned this before, but Psycho was ruined for me by...wait for it...The Flintstones. As a youngster, I saw an episode where Barney gives away the ending of a movie to Fred ("Stoney Perkins is his own ------!") It went right over my head at the time, but the first time I saw Psycho years later, the ending happened, and I somehow already knew it! I then remembered the Flintstones episode, and have blamed that bastard Barney ever since.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Fox didn't help things when they first issued "POTA" on DVD and used possibly the most "spoiler" cover art of all time:

[​IMG]

19. Indy500

Does anyone know the technical specs of these live "events" compared to a 35 mm screening? Someone above mentioned "blu ray" quality.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh: bwauhauhaahauaua.... and the plot is printed on the back too..epic fail...I wonder what would think one that buys the dvd and has never seen the film before..

I was lucky to watch it for the first time on TV as a kid many years ago...I still remember the power of the final scene. When I saw it again, some years later I thought: "wait...the statue can clearly be seen from a looong distance and he starts moaning when he's a few feet away?!" :D

regarding the US DVD cover art, I guess somebody (most probably a fan, not an executive) pointed out how silly it was. The cover art of the "special edition" DVD is spoiler free

[​IMG]

by the way, this euro edition doesn't even care about the apes and just shows the statue on the front cover..he he and in case you forget about it, the statue is displayed on the back cover too

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

From the Fathom Events web site:

(Q) How are Fathom Events broadcast in movie theaters?
    (A) Currently, Fathom Events has access to more than 17,000 screens and more than 750 live broadcast theaters in the top 50 markets in the United States. Fathom Events beams live and pre-recorded events via satellite to audiences in cinemas via our digital broadcast network.

I've been to a handful of these (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Birds, MST3K Live Reunion), and the PQ was good. Nothing screamed "stellar quality" to me, but they were on par with regular movies. There have also been satellite feed issues that people have experienced - lots of problems the night of the MST3K event due to weather on the theater end, and I experienced video blackout during the first 10 minutes of Mockingbird. For that one, they just started it over once the issue was fixed, and it played fine through to the end.

The fun part about Fathom Events screenings are the bonuses that come with them. Interview footage, some kind of background info about the movie, etc., is usually included before or after the main event. It's also fun to see a classic movie with others who are there to enjoy that same movie - can't really do that in my living room.

It's about $5 per ticket more expensive than normal movie tix, so give it a shot and let us know what you think.

I'm hoping to attend the Batman: The Killing Joke animated movie premier monday, July 25th.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  22. Indy500

Thank you, it's a 45 minute drive for us but we'll definitely go now.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I fondly remember seeing POTA at the movies on opening week...I was blow away by the ending!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! Great movie. I love all the original five. Even watched the TV show back in the '70s. Had some toys from it, as well. Good times.

mgoad30 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Thank god the same designer didn't do the cover for the Crying Game DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.