Planet of The Apes (1968) back in theaters this month

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Indy500, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident

I couldn't count the amount of times I've watched POTA. Love it.
    I love the original run of films, even the dodgy ones.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Shawn, BadJack, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's one of those classic movies I make my grandsons watch. This one gets great reviews from them which isn't the case with all the movies I force on them.

Gavinyl and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I would imagine they're DCPs (Digital Cinema Package).

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Not to threadcrap but remember how Yellow Submarine came back to the big screen last time it was issued on DVD/Blu-Ray? The theatre I was in was having technical issues and suddenly I saw the menu pop up - so we were seeing the DVD or Blu-Ray projected on the big screen. Don't be too surprised if this is a common occurrence for these type of events.

5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Awesome! Love that flick!

6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

What makes these events appealing at all is the experience of seeing a beloved film with a room full of strangers and hearing their reactions.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not a film reel?
    Bah. :(

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

or Citizen Kane...

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

While in Jr high in the early 80's the local station would regularly have "Ape Week" and show all 5 films. We would rush home from school and gather at a friend's house to watch them. Good times!

Mark Nelson and BadJack like this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

[​IMG]

11. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Question - years ago I had a random mp3 file of what appeared to be maybe a radio ad for the original movie, with the lines below spoken by Heston. I think I checked and the speech wasn't in the movie itself, but I may be remembering wrong - can anyone enlighten me?

I left both Earth and the 20th century without regrets. Wasn't it Marshall that said that modern man is the missing link between the ape and human beings. I'm nagged by a question... what, if anything, will greet us in the end of man's first journey to a star? A journey that began with tranquility and beauty, and will end where?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That dialog comes from the NATO "mini-movie" version of "PLANET" that they used to promote the film to theaters... It's available on the special collectors edition of the "Behind the Planet of the Apes" documentary (Image Entertainment ID8763FSDVD)... Disc one is the original documentary as aired on AMC in 1998, plus assorted extras, including the NATO presentation... The second disc is a in depth interview with McDowall and assorted outtakes and dailies... If you can find it, it's a good set to have an is recommended...

PS: In the case of the mini-movie presentation, NATO stands for "National Association of Theater Owners"...

Vidiot and Peace N. Love like this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

"Ape Week" around here consisited of the APES films being shown on the late show/all night theater... One night they'd show PLANET, the next BENEATH, and the third night was ESCAPE... From what I remember, the rest of the week consisted of "King Kong" (1933) being shown one night, and the final night was "Son of Kong"... This same station would also occasioanlly run the first three APES films on a Friday or Saturday night... For some reason they never showed CONQUEST or BATTLE...

And, a different channel had "The Early Show", and they showed the "movies" made from the edited together TV series episodes... One a day over a week...

14. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Saw it today and forgot how slow and deliberate the pacing was, but that's the beauty of the film. When an iconic moment comes up (and there are several), those moments have so much more impact then a lot of todays films do.

Looked like Blu-ray quality, some film grain noticeable hear and there. Final matte shot looked cleaned up, but in a good way

Deesky and Vidiot like this.
  15. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I went to see it and wasn't terribly impressed with the video presentation. I don't know what source the theater was using. The quality improved somewhat, but it didn't seem as good as it should have been. The opening and closing interview with Dr. Zaius was cute but was way too long.

16. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

https://m.facebook.com/officialdana...71/820481748058565/?type=3&p=70&av=1272380940

I saw this at my local Cinemark tonight. Presentation of the movie itself was no great shakes. Fairly sharp video projection. The sound seemed to be only MONO and not very loud.

The highlight was the TCM/Turner Classic introduction to the movie and I have to say... it was one of the greatest (and most unexpected) moments of entertainment I'd ever experienced. Such a heartfelt homage. As an audience, waiting to see POTA- we wondered what this was all about??? TCM's Ben Mankiewitz introduces Dr. Zaius- as if Zaius- the actual ape- was an actor himself. Then the character comes alive- (played somewhat like Martin Short's Jimminy Glick)- as an "old Hollywood" mogul- full of trivia and backstage stories of filming POTA. AND IT WORKS. *IT* *WORKS*!!! It went on a bit long- maybe we were even looking at our watches- because we were waiting for the movie to start. But it was HILARIOUS! The whole audience (of 10!) was laughing out loud. Turns out it was comedian DANA GOULD portraying Zaius- as he has before in his stand up act. I could have watched this bit for 2 hours instead of the movie. MORE PLEASE!

17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Thanks to this thread i went and saw the movie Sunday afternoon, such a fantastic experience to see it in the theater again.To my surprise there were more than 30 people at the screening, if i had to guess i'd say the average age would be about thirty five, not bad for a 50 year old film on a scorching summer afternoon. Two other things, first i agree with Dr. Zaius ''never thought i'd say that'':D that Charlton Heston doesn't get enough credit for either his performance or the making of the film itself, and second Dr. Zira has got to be one of the most interesting and likeable characters in the movies ever, ape or human.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  18. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You have a 2nd chance Wed to see this at selected theatres.

On C-Span recently Buzz Aldrin said the U.S. manned space program is at its lowest point since prior to JFK's "We choose to go to the moon" speech. In other words nonexistent. Who'd have thought in 1968 that our manned space program would be shut down in less than 50 years?

Guess we won't be passing through the Hasslein Curve anytime soon.

19. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Those gorillas scared the **** out of me as a kid , great film !

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

They need to include the Troy McClure vignette "Stop The Planet Of The Apes, I Want To Get Off!"

Dr. Zaius, a classic:

apesfan and Shawn like this.
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I remember the original ending of the film being spoilered for me by the Marvel comics adapation, which I read first. :)

Still a great film. Saw it again a few years back and I thought it stood up very well indeed. Charlton Heston's laconic performance as Taylor definitely helps.

I love Zira's farewell line to Taylor: 'I'd love to kiss you. But you're so damn ugly!'

Jackson likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It's easy to get sick of the trillion animated gifs out there, but if anything was made for the medium, it was this:

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

Alamo Drafthouse will be hosting the original "Planet of the Apes" on August 30th, 2016...

They have theaters in: Ashburn, Austin, Charlottesville, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, El Paso, Houston, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Laredo, Los Angeles, Lubbock, New Braunfels, Omaha, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Francisco, Springfield, Winchester and Yonkers.

drafthouse.com/lubbock/show/planet-of-the-apes

Nowhere near close by to me, but hopefully someone from on here will be able to attend...

longdist01 likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great to hear it is still in circulation, no Alamo close though!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.