Planet of the Apes 40th Anniversary Blu-Ray DVD box set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by boogieman, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know exactly what will be included in this release that is scheduled for November 2008?

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

3. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

5. 160 they can keep it :shake: at that price talk about being milked!

I have the first edition region 2 DVD and I liked the use of the mix never heard it like that before and I remember my dad took me, to see a Plant of the Apes double bill at the Winton Continental cinema that is long since gone now, a rotten demolition team knocked it down and now there’s a stinking wine club bar where it used to be! [sigh]

I heard that there was a new special edition released this year and I haven’t brought it as of yet, I wonder what they did to the image and the sound because if its another one of those George double chin Lucas milking versions I’ll be barking mad!

6. :righton:Good on you Michael, I should think not, not at that rip off price! Yes rip off! Bluray isn’t going to sale many of those versions mark my words. DVD is vuale for money, thou like I said “I’ll be barking mad” twice if I had bluray player and paid 160 I would expect all the films on one disc if this so called is it 80GB?? or 60GB?? you could stick the whole Ape features on one disc!

No bluray as the wrong attitude and its never going to reach me.

7. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Let's see what you'd do if Warner releases a restored edition with 5 star picture quality of Logan's Run...

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks for the heads up

Simon :)

9. Michael

:righton:

10. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I've only seen my dvd of the first film once, so I guess it would be silly to "upgrade".

11. Michael

the second edition of the complete set is fabulous...that'll do fine for me.

probably get at a bargain when the BR set comes out.:)

12. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

That will certainly be something to keep an eye out for. I would love to get the set. I would consider the first film on Bluray when they split them up, but my wife prefers the Marky Mark remake so I'll probably get outvoted.

13. Michael

the remake pales compared to the original...

The makeup really sucked!
    tell her there's more to watch in the original box set! Have a marathon.:D

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

"Get your filthy,dirty,stinkin' paws off of me,YA BIG HAIRY APE!"-Chalton Heston,"Planet of the Apes,1968 (I think that was the year..did he get an Oscar for his role? I think he was nominated,but I don't remeber if he'd won!) Michael Boyce

15. Ditto except I am doing blu-ray but I want to see if FOx messes this up like they did "Patton". Also, how many times can I buy the same stuff again? I'm pretty happy with the DVD mastering job on the last set.

16. No nomination or award. Nominated for Best Costume Design and Music (Jerry Goldsmith--he DIDN'T win and SHOULD have) but only won a special award for make up (there wasn't a make up category at the time).

Chuck won for "Ben Hur" and the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award (related to the Academy Awards).

My favorite line "To Hell with the scarecrows!" just his delivery is perfect.

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

$160 appears to the suggested retail price, so it will likely appear cheaper in most places, especially release week. Doesn't Amazon discount all Blu-Ray stuff at least 30%? So it might be $110-115 at Amazon perhaps?

So they're not releasing the films individually? The book in the set seems like it might be nice, but I'd rather just have the five films in regular Blu-Ray cases and have it cheaper. Frankly, even in a set like this, I'd rather have the book and then still have the five films in regular cases instead of some digipak foldout thing that is unwieldy.

I'm still on the fence about whether to pick this set up. I'll wait and see how much it is discounted on release week.

18. This part of the product description caught my eye:

Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes (unrated version, previously unreleased in the U.S.)

Does anyone know whether the unrated version is significantly different thant the U.S. version?

19. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Hate to be one of those nitpickers but I am an ape fanatic and the exact quote is " Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn, dirty ape!"

20. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

The final battle between the apes and the soldiers was more violent and bloodier but the studio wanted to keep these family films so it was toned down.

There is also this from Wikipedia:

Original ending

Caesar has Breck marched out to be executed. MacDonald appeals to Caesar's humanity to show mercy to his former persecutor. Caesar ignores him, and declares henceforth apes everywhere will repeat the revolt that happened in Central City. The revolution will lead inevitably to mankind's fall after which the apes will dominate the Earth and enslave the few remaining humans. Breck and all the other humans are then beaten to death as the film abruptly ends.

Test audiences reacted badly to the original ending. The studio re-edited the ending with existing footage. The plot twist of the chimpanzee Lisa saying the word "no" was added to the film via dubbing a new voice-over and Roddy McDowall was brought back to record new dialogue. The new ending allowed Caesar to show some degree of mercy and to leave the audience with the hope of peaceful co-existence between apes and humans.

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It wasn't just the makeup that sucked...the acting sucked, the script sucked (is this Fraggle Rock or what), the ending made no sense...

22. Michael

:agree:
    I thought the makeup paled compared to the original...

23. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Roddy McDowell,in his Ape makeup,appeared on a episode of "The Carol Burnett Show" in a skit..he swept Carol of her feet,and she YELPED! I thought that was a classic moment!:righton:Michael Boyce

24. Michael

I remember that show!

25. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

The best line, ever! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.