Planet Waves - Bob Dylan - 1974

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godstar, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

I always like to hear Dylan playing with the Band. Don't know what all the acrimony is about.

Lonson, Satchidananda and Bob M. like this.
  2. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

If this batch of songs hadn't been released as a studio album in 1974, but instead had circulated as a bootleg for decades, it would probably command more attention from fans. I realize there are stylistic differences between PW and the Basement Tapes - but I think if Garth had recorded this in the basement on his reel to reel, there'd be more appreciation. The studio polish brought higher expectations.

Also, it would have been sweet if the Band had been permitted/encouraged to sing a bit on PW.

3. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's very good by Dylan standards, Outstanding by mere mortal standards. No question. Always liked Never Say Goodbye and Wedding Song. Me and a lifetime friend of mine had a running gag since we were teenagers that whoever got married first, Wedding Song would be played somewhere at the reception. He did and sure enough it played so I of course had to reciprocate by working it into mine. Such a long time ago, sadly now the Dylan song that I hope is true and find solace in is Death Is Not The End.

mark ab likes this.
  4. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have this,and all the Columbia Dylan Quads.Never played any,because I never had a quadraphonic setup.My Dutch pink rim Island is the one I've listened to.

5. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Don't need a Quad setup to appreciate the big differences in the mixes.. Give them a spin and check it out for yourself. The Band's playing on "Planet Waves" jumps right out at you right from the get go. And if you have the Quadraphonic "Desire" there are two lyric flubs of Dylan's that were edited out of the Stereo mix but were left in the Quad mix.

dee and quicksrt like this.
  6. Stat1516

Stat1516 Forum Resident

It's unique. And a great snapshot of a moment in time that would not happen again (Dylan/Band together in the studio). For that alone it's special. Even with its rehearsal vibe I still love it. Memorable songs and great presence. Fells like the 70's in a very good way, like the same-era lesser-known Neil Young stuff. I think Christgau nailed it at "A-" and I still play it a lot.

AGimS and mark ab like this.
  7. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Listening to the remaster of the album now... Dirge is just spine-shivering, one of Bob's best vocal performances ever on tape.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Which and where are the vocal flubs? I have Quad Desire on my computer waiting for me to work on it. I want to note those two places. My minty copy has some serious ticks and clicks to correct, not uncommon on a mid-70s SQ LP from Columbia.

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Are they on 'Romance In Durango'?

I had a cassette version of 'Desire' - at the end of 'Oh Sister' Emmylou Harris can be heard saying something like 'I fu**ed up' :D

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The quad mix may contain the E. Harris line, I have forgotten. But I will pay close attention to "Romance" when I work on it soon.

slane likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Apparently the "Nice Price" reissue has it -as does the more recent MFSL issue.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are speaking of LP right with Nice Price? Or CD?

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

LP - and K7.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You mean walk the "hills" of old Duluth.

JRM likes this.
  15. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

At the end of verse three of Joey dylan sings - "to the boss I say he said" .... On the stereo version it's "he said"

Romance In Durango - again at the end of verse three Dylan sings - "In the face of God will appear" ... Stereo version line is sung "the face of God will appear". Also in this song, on the quad mix, is an off key trumpet solo is upfront in the mix (which sounds very odd).

Also in "One More Cup Of Coffee" there is a strange scraping sound just before the third verse, again something that was edited out of the regular stereo release.

slane and quicksrt like this.
  16. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Well, at least Blood on the Tracks and Desire. ;)

quicksrt likes this.
  17. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I think it feels this way in part because that vocal is so more well recorded than on the rest of the tracks -- the compromises necessary for recording full-band live takes could be skipped with just the piano-guitar set-up. That vocal pops out, whereas Dylan is somewhat muted on many of the other songs.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  18. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Decent album but in the shadow of even better ones, I'd rank his 70s work as follows:
    1. BOTT
    2. Street Legal
    3. Desire
    4. Planet Waves
    5. Slow Train
    6. New Morning
    7. Self Portrait
    8. Pat Garret

streetlegal likes this.
  19. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I'm so looking forward to Planet Waves MFSL on LP/SACD.
    One of the first Dylan records I heard.

Joti Cover and Lonson like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't hear Dylan's vocals (somewhat) muted on other tracks. Of course I listen exclusively to the quad LP where everything is more opened up.

Yeah Village Recorders in LA was a great studio.

21. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

The album is pretty good. I just enjoy listening to Bob and The Band playing together.

Also, I'm of the minority who enjoys listening to the fast version of Forever Young. Yeah, it contradicts the slow version, but I think it rocks!

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Aside from "Dirge" and the "Forever Youngs" this isn't a typical Dylan set from a lyrical standpoint. It isn't lightweight at all, but it isn't as strong as BOTT for example. But musically this is as good as Dylan got in the 70s IMO. Reuniting with the Band seemed to inspire him and purge the bad mojo of the Self Portrait era. Only the awful artwork remains. Very enjoyable album that I play pretty regularly.

23. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Mr. Dylan would like a word with you.

Joti Cover likes this.
  24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I don't think it's his best either, but I like it better than Blood on the Tracks. It has a few awkward elbows... editing a couple of tracks helps.

The Band needed time to develop the arrangements, but Dylan's approach to recording didn't allow for rehearsals. Sometimes they lock-in, other times they're finding their way. Sometimes that high-wire musical act is fascinating, but not always.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  25. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yup. I think Bob and the Band really nail the songs. They have a chemistry and a strong bond.
    As for Forever Young, both versions are nice, but the slow one is the one that sends shivers to my spine.

DeeThomaz and Mike Bass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.