Plasma,LCD,DLP....OMG!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobo U2, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

I really want to get a HD TV...
    42 inch
    I'm getting very confused trying to compare each format and listing the pro and cons of each.
    Does anyone have a site that might help me understand??

And then it will be fun picking a source(Directv is what I have or Digital cable or Voom).
    They sure don't make it easy.

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

An HDTV with a CRT provide the best picture, and last the longest. The only downside is they are very heavy.

Tubes rule! :D

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree with Joe

4. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

....except that they don't make CRTs in 42 inches (do they?).

Be patient for a little longer Bobo. LCD technology is developing quickly and the prices will drop eventually.

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I was having the same trouble you were, until I saw the Infocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP projector... the specs are awesome (16x9 native projector, dual color wheels, component & digital inputs, etc.).

For $1,400, you get a visual system that will beat (with a proper screen) any display for close its price, and will deliver a waaaay bigger screen, plus will not use as much physical space as a conventional set.

6. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Yes they do. Remember widescreen. Corner to corner, a 42 inch HDTV is really a reasonable sized TV, the number is larger, because its a rectangle. I think the screen area of a 42 inch 16:9 is equivilent to a 32 inch standard 4:3 TV.

7. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

What is DLP and OMG?

8. Bobo U2

I'm not sure what DLP is but OMG=Oh My God

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It's an exciting time for digital flat HDTV's. Plenty of good ones out there right now from companies like Samsung/ Toshiba/ Hitachi/ Sony/ JVC/ Mitsubishi and others.

DLP's (Digital Light Processing) and LCD's are getting better. The newest generation are pretty good.
    Wait another year and they will get even better (they all will have built-in HD tuners and Cablecard plus mutiple digital inputs).

Sony will soon release (2005) their best TV's yet...SXRD's..a form of LCD that may end up being the definitive flat panel display (will be pricey at first).

But you can't go wrong with either DLP or LCD today.

10. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Yeah they make them in rear projection sets. Mitsubishi makes one or two. But a 42 inch standard tube would weigh a ton. Also the cost to make flat HDTV widescreen standard tube tvs is high. It is getting cheaper though.

Evan

11. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

If you want to get a glimpse at the best (for most people's budget) a LCD or DLP can do, I would check out the new Samsung DLP's and Hitachi's new CineForm LCD. The Samsung comes in tabletop version or with a nifty stand built into it. The Samsung with the stand actually has a better chip in it giving you a better picture. There's no doubt that tubes still rule though.

12. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Go for it.
    HD is going mainstream now and prices are now under the "magic" $1,000 for a HD set.
    I have a Sony 34" 16x9 tube set and love it.
    I get free HD programming over the air "ota" with a roof antenna.
    WOW! TV more clear than a DVD for free OTA.
    Most of the new shows are in HD.
    Discovery HD is good so when you get a provider, the HDnet and DHD are great.
    Keep us posted.

13. Bobo U2

Clay....Don't temp me
    My problem is that I have 3 choices for HD coverage, and all 3 offer channels the other ones don't. Zoom is owned by Cablevision but they do not offer MSG(sports) guess what, MSG is owned by Cablevision. Then my cable provider is ...Cablevision and they don't have some of the HD channels that Zoom carries. Following me.....Yikes. I now have Directv which is the only carrier that has an affordable HD-DVR. As far as OTA I don't know what kind of signal I'd get here in the Bronx since the main attenna for NYC was on the WTC.
    I think I might upgrade my audio system first and wait till prices drop a bit for a HD set and maybe my choices as far as providers might become a little clearer.

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I always thought that anything made by Samsung was just bottom of the line stuff. However, after doing some investigating when asked by my brother for help searching for a widescreen TV, I found that Samsung makes some pretty nice DLP widescreen machines.

He ended up getting a 50" DLP Samsung, and the thing looks great. I have actually seen these in Sams and Costco, so they are around for "good deals". The guy at CC, where he bought it, "met" Sams price, but only after a lot of deliberation.

Check them out, they are a lot of Bang for the Buck!

15. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Its all so confusing to me as well. My son works at CC selling TV's. I wanted to buy a Flat Screen 32" CRT to replace my 27" curved CRT, so instead- I just decided to wait until either the TV died altogether, or channels all went HD(end of 2006???).

I am not ready to completely analyse my Cable system and needs and couple that to a TV purchase right now. I am on analogue cable without a decoder box. We do have Comcast digital, but some of the channels I watch are not available with the digital packages.

Chris

16. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Don't forget that plasma sets are very prone to burn-in of static images. In fact, IIRC, some plasma manufacturers state in their warranties that use of any video game system with their plasma sets automatically voids the warranty. Also, expect only 5-10 years of operational life. A CRT is still the best value, but DLP and LCD are making great improvements in quality, and the prices are dropping rather quickly.

17. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

I helped my buddy install his new Samsung 50" DLP last weekend. The HD picture was provided through his Direct TV HD receiver. The image was fabulous on HD broadcasts but the local analog signals looked fuzzy by comparison. The DLP is best for video games over other formats as burn in is very minimal. Also he saved over $800 on the set at Best Buy because of their price matching policy. He simply showed them a printout of the lowest price for his model on the internet and they matched it.

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've been considering this one, partly because the reviews have been good and I can get it for a discount through my work. But this stuff - CRT, LCD, plasma, projection, etc. - can be very confusing. Does anyone have any experience with the Panasonic 53X54?

19. JohnG

That is one of the flaws of DLP.....it looks best with a HD signal...poor with a SD signal.

If all you do is watch SD television (non-HD)...then stick with a CRT or try the SONY LCD.
    The SONY's look very good with a basic SD signal.

If all you watch is HD programming and DVD's, then a DLP is great.

Within another year there should be plenty of HD programming making a DLP purchase worth it in the end.

20. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

I have a Sony 50" LCD and love it. SDTV doesn't look half bad and the viewing range (side to side) is excellent. Still waiting for Comcast to get their ***** together in my area before pulling the trigger on digital/HD service. My experience with DLP is that it seems to "sparkle" at times. Noticed lots of pixelation on the store displays although that can be attributed to the signal as much as the set. The LCD can generally be had for $300 - $500 less than DLP (same size screen) since many people think DLP is the greatest "new" thing out there. I really prefer the LCD PQ over DLP for the viewing I do most. Some people see rainbows with DLP, which makes their decision even easier.

Eric

21. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

Two comments:

1. I've heard that replacement lightbulbs for DLPs are very expensive.
    2. The low-end Sony CRT 16:9 HDTVs ($999 MSRP) have the sharpest picture of all the low-end HDTVs. Highly recommended.

22. JohnG

As DLP's become more common...the price of bulbs will drop. Right now you can get one for around $299.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Do you mean that because a 50" DLP TV is so good it shows up the deficiency in a SD signal? If so that doesn't sound like a flaw.....

I saw my first DLP TV the other day in an electrical store and it blew my mind!!! It was this 50" Sagem AXIUMHTD501DLP. I don't know if Sagem are a decent make (I've never heard of them before) but this was by far the best TV I've ever seen. It beat any Plasma, LCD, standard rear projection, CRT TV I've ever seen - by a long way :agree:.

They were playing the DVD of "Ice Age" on it and there were none of the problems that I see on other types of TV with DVD playback. The picture looked perfect.

Strike a plasma screen off the top of my "things to die for" list. I only have eyes for a DLP TV now........

:)

24. JohnG

Your right....its only a flaw since TV transmissions aren't perfect yet.

When everything is HD...the DLP's will shine.

25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

DLP is very good and improving. If you can swing the cash, it's the way to go. I have a Panasonic direct view 4:3 HDTV and its picture is excellent. BTW, if you thought Ice Age was great, the new Aladdin DVD will blow you away! Check it out. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.