Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I find myself falling prey to the cdjapan points trap. You have some points in your account to use up and order one item. Then realize you can add a second item because the shipping charge doesn't increase. Once those are shipped, you have some more points added to your account as bait!:laugh:

3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Wait for the customs, than you will fall prey...:)

I did the same as you and forgot I purchased much more (4 SHM-SACDs) for a worth than the maximum sum of money (€22) allowed to import in the EC without being taxed.... (**selling my appartment**)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    dennis the menace likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have been getting charged an additional foreign transaction fee by my credit card company for each and every purchase made. They add up after awhile, enough to take notice! As far as I know, there are no import customs duties on music imported from Japan to USA. Has anyone been charged by customs here in the USA?

5. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

I had the same problem once when the seller of the Gold CD Roger Waters - Amused to Death, wrote the price that I paid for the CD on the package. That cost me an additional 20 bugs or so. Fortunally, the music is priceless...

6. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I won't use CD Japan because of the UK customs. Pity because their service was good.

swintonlion likes this.
  7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I never have, but a friend of mine in the UK just got socked today with a $40.00 customs fee! That's bloody outrageous! I've never had one charge from them myself, though. And yeah, those gift points are tough to ignore - they keep sneaking in more to my account to entice me!

8. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I used FedEX for the first time on the last CDJapan order. Three Platinum SHM CDs and a SHM-SACD. A couple of weeks after getting my order I received an envelope from FedEX with three pages of info. It said that it was not a bill and was for informational purposes only. There were my four items described as Music CD and the price that I paid for them and a Customs charge of $0.00.

The interesting part of the letter was something like "In the interest of expediting delivery, FedEX pays the Customs charges for the packages it delivers."

The wording sounded like if the Customs charge would have been a money amount then FedEX would have payed that and I would not have been charged. (I may have gotten the wrong impression though.)

(BTW, I used the most expensive FedEX service this time and I live in the U.S.A..)

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Yeah Fedex pays it for you then charges you not only the customs charge but a processing fee on top of that. FedEx is not a benevolent organization.

Sneaky Pete and PROG U.K. like this.
  10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I always use EMS and have not encountered a problem yet. If I order on a Monday, I usually have it by Friday.

danielbravo likes this.
  11. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up, chaz. The wording was confusing to me. Since the Customs charge was $0.00 I could not tell for sure.

I know a couple of employees. From the many stories I've heard, they are quite ruthless to their workers.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Par for the course for too many American corporations these days. :shake:

JDeanB, BrokenByAudio and PROG U.K. like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Great reviews! Thanks!

eelkiller likes this.
  14. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I've always been charged transaction fees by my bank but I've yet to see any charge from Customs (knock on wood).

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I'll take FedEx over a North Korean corporation any day. I want to live.

the dark knight likes this.
  16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Another victim here. :D

17. KeithH

No customs charges, but I have seen foreign transactions fees.

18. KeithH

Tom Hanks was a hard ass in Cast Away.

telepicker97 likes this.
  19. Bicman

Bicman New Member

I just ordered a Platinum SHM from cdjapan. My first one from there. Thanks for the info. I will examine the transaction very carefully and decide my future purchases.

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/8761/1

20. KeithH

I've had my American Express card since 1989, and I've seen fees recently. The fees aren't high, but I may call about them.

While you can use PayPal with CD Japan, I wouldn't do it on pre-orders because they will charge your card immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    Jimmy Agates likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have the type of personality that allows me to sweet talk my way out of many situations. I've had the same Chase credit card for probably over 20 years. Whenever I call about some issue, they always help me out. But they refused to budge one iota on the transaction fees. I finally met my match:winkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    dennis the menace and WhoTapes1 like this.
  22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

What is the point to preorder? They never sold out on preorders.

23. KeithH

Why not? Some people like to order early. Order and forget about it until it's released. Just don't use PayPal.

24. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I had over $14 in transaction fees this month between CDJapan and HMV purchases. I never have checked on the exchange rate issue, hopefully we are not being gouged on that too.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Very true, I have been amazed on a number of occasions where orders placed using EMS arrive as fast as they do. For sure I pay for it, however I receive the service I'm owed.

danielbravo likes this.