Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Absolutely ! But this site i Linked earlier is instructive. Stereo is concerned from Half and end of 1958 . You can Check it : cool struttin for example which is from 1958 was recorded in MONO. This title Will be on the 2nd serie next month
    As i seen, on the first serie 7 of them Will get the mastering step for mono. 3 of them were recorded in mono : jutta hipp with zoot Sims (1956) , lee Morgan candy (1958)and rollins Night at village vanguard (1957)

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Yes, that is true. If we get the mono masters of the pre-1958 recordings, it's great. Some of them will be available again for the first time in 50 years. I hope they put out Newk's Time in mono, that one has never received a decent reissue in stereo (from the ones I've heard) as the tape is plagued by dropouts. The mono tape, however, might be in good shape, who knows.

SOONERFAN, 2xUeL, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Thank you for pointing technical side out. I honestly thought that it was Mono and Stereo version.
    At least you agree "that Van Gelder balanced his two-track mix so that it would sound best in mono".
    It's fair enough for me.

crispi likes this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks! And from the second series?

5. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Ok i compared with the list :
    We have 4 pure MONO recordings ( Cool Struttin, Indeed! , Vol3, Afro Cuban ), 6 others Will get the mastering step for MONO

RiRiIII likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

From My Blue Note Expert:

"Only a Few of the Early Stereo’s from RVG were Very Hard Right/Left. And, Cool Struttin’ was Recorded in Stereo (BST-85188), but may Not have issued as such Until 1967.

The Reason for both Stere & Mono versions of the Same LP was that Until c. 1966, the Market was substantially Mono. And, most of the Small FM stations that played Jazz were Broadcasting in Mono. Starting 1966 or ’67, Liberty, which Purchased Blue Note in ’66, issued only Stereo LPs, but did make some Mono Pressings for Radio Play (Only)."

zappaien and toilet_doctor like this.
  7. toilet_doctor

Who personally compared Mono and Stereo LP version of any titles.

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For those who don't know, Cool Struttin' and Afro Cuban are already available in mono from HDTracks.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  9. moops

moops Senior Member

This thread may help .......they're not drop-outs on Newk's Time.

Sonny Rollins' Newk's Time-Mastering Adventures with Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    toilet_doctor likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

I checked DU site. They are offering Blue Note Logo Promo box for free with purchase any 10 titles from both V.1 and/or V.2.
    10 CD box is gorgeous: big blue logo on a white background and blue drawer with Blue Note logo on the spine. Also, there is another version of the box - in the opposite colors (blue box with white drawer). The best part is: it's versatile box for any future purchases, I think. I usually buy them on eBay (empty) soon after release date.

2xUeL likes this.
  11. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

I made some easy research from google and got this nice site http://dgmono.com/rvg-discography/

You can check as well the other site i posted earlier. They both say that cool struttin was a mono recording. Not a mono/stereo as others been made in the same Year :

1/5/58 Hackensack Blue Note BLP 1588 LP Sonny Clark Cool Struttin' Mono

Not a big deal, but i talk about recording. It seems that it was a MONO one at the very beginning. May we have your blue note expert notice about this ?

12. PNeski@aol.com

Here's what he says

" I am Listening to Cool Struttin’ Right Now and it’s in Stereo, as were the Earlier: Dial 'S' For Sonny & Sonny’s Crib.

As to the RVG Article on 'Deep Groove Mono:' RVG recorded only Two LPs for Atlantic and Nothing for Riverside — Period!

By the way, the Original name for Prestige was New Jazz, which were released on 78 rpm."

13. toilet_doctor

Please ask you expert:
    Why did Classic Records for Blue Note 200g LP reissue stick to Mono version in 2003, when market was completely Stereo?

14. PNeski@aol.com

I didn't ask him ,but I would guess he doesn't know ,since he knows little about modern versions ,and doesn't buy Lps anymore .even though he still has his expensive turntable

15. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

This thread is a bit of a mess right now. So many people (not @crispi) are confused about mono, stereo, full-track, two-track, master tapes, master lacquers, etc.--it's a total mess right now, folks!

I think I can help...

The London Jazz Collector page you linked to doesn't really describe the picture you are trying to paint in as much detail as the guest article I wrote for them:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...cords-and-the-transition-from-mono-to-stereo/

The page you linked to is most useful for determining if the stereo version of an album is 'true' stereo or electronically re-channeled 'pseudo' stereo. While you can infer a lot about the master tapes for each album from the information on that page, the details are in the article I just linked to and the following database on my website:

http://dgmono.com/blue-note-mono-stereo-guide/

Everything you need to know about this whole mono-stereo Blue Note thing is in these two links.

The last column of my RVG discography database is not intended to indicate anything about the type of tape(s) used for the recording of each album. It is simply there to explain which of the two formats, mono and stereo, Rudy Van Gelder originally mastered each album in for their original release (hence the word "MASTERING" in all caps at the top of the column). For information about what type of tape each BN session was recorded to, see the BN Mono-Stereo guide link I posted above.

(FWIW, Cool Struttin' was recorded to both full-track and two-track tape, but it was only originally mastered by Rudy Van Gelder in mono.)

My understanding is that similar to Disk Union, Classic did all (most) of their BN reissues in mono because they understood that up to a certain point in the '60s mono was the focus in the recording studio and more often than not the sole format for the original release of each album.

SOONERFAN, Turmatic, hvbias and 3 others like this.
  16. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

So I didn't know anything about this Disk Union mono CD campaign and I am excited to hear the news! So much that I thought I'd go through each title and explain the situation with each regarding mono, stereo, full-track, two-track etc.

1. Recorded to full-track tape only (released in mono only):

1524 Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia
    1530 Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims
    1535 Afro Cuban
    1538 Lee Morgan Indeed
    1557 Lee M0rgan Vol. 3
    1581 Live at the Village Vanguard

2. Recorded to both full-track and two-track tape (originally released in mono only but eventually released in stereo many years later):

1579 Sonny Clark Trio
    1588 Cool Struttin
    1590 Candy

3. Recorded to both full-track and two-track tape (originally released in mono with the stereo release following shortly after):

1577 Blue Train
    1593 Blues Walk
    1595 Somethin Else
    4003 Moanin

4. Recorded to two-track tape only (originally released in mono only but eventually released in stereo many years later):

4009 The Scene Changes
    4031 Soul Station
    4037 Us Three
    4040 Open Sesame

5. Recorded to two-track tape only (originally released in both mono and stereo simultaneously):

4123 Midnight Blue
    4140 Page One
    4195 Maiden Voyage

- - -

A couple quick notes:

- I imagine that for items 2. and 3. above, the original full-track tape will be used strictly for these mono reissues.
    - The Maiden Voyage master tape is not to my ears in perfect shape.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  17. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Thanks for all those informations, Instructive. Was confused right !
    NoW let s Hear those new disc, 14 days left !

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Thank you for stopping by, 2xUeL.
    I found your article and was about to re-post it here, but at the same time you already came in.

I know that it is Historical release thousands Jazz lovers do not know about. Please spread the word in your Jazz circles.

Since Platinum SHM Jazz releases were very limited, I assume that you not familiar much with.
    Here is 2013 Universal Japan Press-release (rough translation):
    "Platinum SHM is a product, which was developed for the audio enthusiast.

(Pt1000) net Platinum reflective film is famous material, has been an important post in the world of industry mainly because it is very stable chemically as the noble metal of the finest. We chose it in order to give priority to sound quality.

We stick thoroughly to the master and the basic flat transfer from the original analog tape.
    New series will be build around the latest master for SHM-SACD series, there is no cutting corners on any of the material.
    Victor Creative Media has developed "HR (High Resolution) cutting".

It is to cut into direct high bit, sampled at 176.4kHz/24bit, the master of the best.
    It provides us with the appropriate sound to fit in "Platinum SHM".
    The sound quality is beyond me, and it will meet expectations of the listeners.
    In addition, in order to rock solid in its superiority, the coat of the label side will be in turquoise blue, which is effective in reducing the unwanted pickup light, reflected by the playback machine.

Paper jacket is crafted to the level of the manufacturing technology that Japan is proud of, faithfully reproduces the original LP.
    We achieve both utility and collect-ability."

Yes it is collectible stuff; Early Mini LP SHM-SACD releases run over $100 each now.
    You might be the first who are going to buy entire set. Please do not jump on eBay Promo Box yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-NOTE-J...117688?hash=item5d612a4138:g:nmUAAOSwX~dWqM87

I am collecting Mini LP since 1999, and personally know DU dealers. I have to leave my house now. When I will be back, I can give you some tips, how to get them as cheap as possible.

RiRiIII and 2xUeL like this.
  19. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Anyone ever get those tips on how to get them as cheap as possible?

20. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

Cdjapan and Hmv.co.jp always come to my mind when shoping for Japanese CDs. Both shops are shipping worldwide for reasonable costs. Unfortunately the Japanese HMV page is a bit hard to handle, even if you select English as language. But their multi-buy campaigns sometimes make shopping for Japanese CDs much cheaper.
    If it comes to buying out-of-print CDs, the database Discogs is worth an additional look. You must be patient if you want one for a cheap price - but at least you often find an offer for a specific or rare version otherwise unavailable.

Turmatic likes this.
  21. old school

old school Senior Member

As far as rock goes there's nothing new on Platinum SHM! The new Megadeth SHM otherwise slim pickens. Any new rock titles on the
    Horizon? What format will be the dominant SHM SACD,Platinum or just SHM or Blu-Spec2?

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

received the mono Soul Station papersleeve today (UCCU-40022). happy to report there's no limiting at all, fully dynamic. i'm sure the limiting on the otherwise excellent 75th masterworks series had led some to expect a similar treatment here (myself included).

toilet_doctor, RiRiIII and Lucidae like this.
  23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Thanks for the heads up, that's a relief! How is the mastering, not too shrill I hope?

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD