Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. korowa

korowa Active Member

With the upcoming Prestige Platinum SHMs, Interesting they're rereleasing "Saxophone Colossus" again!!!
    The 2013 Platinum SHM (UCCO-40002) featured the latest DSD mastering
    米国オリジナル・アナログ・マスターを基にした2013年最新DSDマスターよりHRカッティング
    From 2013 new DSD mastering, United States original analog master
    サキソフォン・コロッサス [プラチナSHM] - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN »
    Whereas this latest Platinum SHM (UCCO-40009) has been sourced from a 24-bit, 192 kHz remaster
    192kHz/24bitリマスター採用
    192kHz/24bit remastered adoption
    サキソフォン・コロッサス - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN »

toilet_doctor likes this.
  2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

God, the title selection bores me to death. The Prestige PLATINUM SHM CD titles are pretty much completely covered by Analogue Productions in their Prestige LP/SACD series. Then there's the Prestige chronicle 7000 series with DSD mastering on SHM CDs from which were issued at least 100 titles.

The Blue Notes are redundant save maybe for the Lee Morgan titles. If it's so expensive to produce, why don't they just produce normal CDs with superior mastering but include much more titles? I'm not even expecting oscure stuff, just anything else than "Somethin' else" or "Blue Train". Anything by Blue Note from the 60's will sell.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There is one Roy Haynes title (We Three) listed on DiskUnion that is a bit off the beaten path. The OJC disc sounds great and is very dynamic, so I won't be checking it out.

A bunch of those Prestige titles have DCC or AP 45 rpm versions that sound phenomenal to me.

4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Thank you for pointing out. However, 2013 release is Jewel case release. While new one is appearing to Mini LP Collectors to fulfill their Blue Note Mini LP Collection in the best digi version in the Premium covers. Uni didn't do it right on a first place and is correcting their mistake now.
    That completely makes sense to me. As I said before: re-release in Mini LP and in Jewel cases in 1-2 years is common practice in Japan - they do not interfere with each other. Besides, it's a fun for crazy Jazz lovers to compare different masterings. So, have a fun!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. toilet_doctor

You don't understand the Soul of Mini LP Collectors - they do not need damn "normal" CDs! ...!

gjuro76 likes this.
  6. toilet_doctor

Thank you for the interesting info on XRCDs and very accurate description of your comparison test. That's how exactly good Pt discs sound in reg. system. However, they have great potential in the sound presentation department in a term of airiness, separation and 3-demantionality been played in hi-end system. At the same time, the turntable in reg. system able to squeeze much better presented sound from the vinyl disc without big investment into the system. This is one of the reasons of the LP resurrection now.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I love the sound quality on all the ones I have. When are they going to do more rock/pop releases?

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Listening to Coltrane's Ballads now. This is a really beautiful sounding disc!

9. toilet_doctor

Nobody knows, as they don't know that themselves.

For last 6 years they re-released almost their entire catalog in SHM-CD. Now, I think, it's a Platinum turn.
    You have to wait - time is on your side, is not it?

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'd love to find a definitive version of "Ballads" but it's crazy how many different masterings it has.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

What other ones do you find are as good or comparable?

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Yes it is. It will be exciting if we get some more mainstream albums with proper remasters. Especially if it's stuff that hasn't already been done by DCC/AF or MFSL.

13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have the SHM-SACD, the MFSL CD and the 2014 hi-res download. A couple samples here, let me know what you think:

Code:
    http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/iuxvND06/file.html
    http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/H5WflBbu/file.html

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

But that's the thing: there is no "mono tape" when it comes to this album. The mono version is just a 50/50 mix from the two-track tape.

2xUeL likes this.
  15. toilet_doctor

"WOWOW"! -- name of Japanese label, releasing Pt King Crimson now.

I declare:
    King Crimson In the Court of Crimson King Pt 7" Mini LP SHM-CD is one of the best Platinum discs I ever heard! (So far...)
    (In one word: WOWOW!)

Please stay tune for a full report.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well they hardly release any Jazz on Mini Lp anymore ,this selection and those few BN titles are all Universal seem to want to release now ,there are many classic Jazz lps that either haven't come out ,or weren't done in years in Mini Lp cds,
    Instead they give us a small bunch of lps that came out many times before like these (this time in mono) or they release stuff as budget jewel case releases ,like the series from Warner

17. toilet_doctor

I declare:
    King Crimson In the Wake of Poseidon Pt 7" Mini LP SHM-CD is one of the best Platinum discs I ever heard! (So far...)

Please stay tuned.

18. toilet_doctor

This is true. I wouldn't notice but one jazzman asked me to order for him some Jazz Mini LP CDs from Japan, if any. And, it was nothing to order for a few years beside Miles and Coltrane. While before, it was plenty. I collected a lot of my favorite Jazz vocalists: Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, Julie London, Kay Carr, and Brenda Lee to name a few (Super Bit Jazz Classic, Decca 70 Ann and many other series). Japanese 24-bit remaster is so good, that it sounds like been recorded today. Last Mini I bought was Jo Stafford 'As Time Goes By' with excellent DSD Remaster in 2011. I don't know what happened, why they didn't reissue them on SHM. I'm still waiting for it. Uni is sitting on tons of them.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think the mini-LP facsimile style may be going "out of" style in Japan.

20. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Is it a new remaster ? I got some time ago the japanese set DVD audio /cd 40th anniversary on mini lp Any difference ?

21. toilet_doctor

No, it's 1:1 40th Anniversary reissue for those, who don't have it or for Pt-crazy people like me, with 7" great, canvas-like 2 covers for each album (Pt in UK cover and DVD-A in US one).
    I need time for 2 more albums to try.

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

It clearly looks that way from the last couple of years ,even the rock stuff , if you don't count those many oldies public domain titles made in Korea with their cover art
    mangled ,They still come out with plenty of those ,and other than the art work are very nice

23. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Pt SHM-CD of this CD/DVD set features 2009 stereo mix of the album, i.e.:
    King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (An Observation By King Crimson) »

24. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

Further Platinum SHM Premium Papersleeve Mono Releases;
    Riverside Jazz titles
    プレミアム“紙ジャケ”復刻シリーズ - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN »
    UCCO-40019 Bill Evans - Waltz For Debbie
    UCCO-40020 Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz
    UCCO-40021 Wes Montgomery - Full House
    UCCO-40022 Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    UCCO-40023 Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue
    UCCO-40024 Bill Evans - Explorations
    UCCO-40025 Thelonious Monk - Brillant Corners
    UCCO-40026 Blue Mitchell - Blue's Mood

UCCO-40027 Johnny Griffin- The Kerry Dancers
    UCCO-40028 Kenny Drew - Kenny Drew Trio

25. toilet_doctor

Riverside titles Platinum Mini LP SHM-CD (coming on July 27)

Bill Evans Waltz For Debbie
    Bill Evans Portrait In Jazz
    Wes Montgomery Full House
    Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    Wynton Kelly Kelly Blue
    Bill Evans Explorations
    Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners
    Blue Mitchell Blue's Mood
    Johnny Griffin The Kerry Dancers
    Kenny Drew Kenny Drew Trio

Waltz for Debby [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Bill Evans
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] masterpiece boasts a jazz largest ever popular. Romantic melody melts into the prestigious jazz club buzz, beautiful played like a miracle was born. <Personnel> Bill Evans (p), Scott Ruffalo (b), Paul Motian (ds) ● 6 May 25, 1961, New York, recorded live at the Village Vanguard ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit Li mastering

Portrait in Jazz [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Bill Evans
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] Evans genius bassist, the first record I met Scott Ruffalo. Inter play is amazing, full of thrill and sense of tension that trio weave. <Personnel> Bill Evans (p), Scott Ruffalo (b), Paul Motian (ds) ● 1959 December 28, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Full House [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Wes Montgomery
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] masterpiece live that captures the heated stage of the guitar world of revolutionary. Octave playing in the good of virtuoso such as, argue with the tenor of the champion Johnny Griffin. <Personnel> Wes Montgomery (g), Johnny Griffin (ts), Wynton Kelly (p), Paul Chambers (b), Jimmy Cobb (ds) ● 6 May 25, 1962, Berkeley, on pot recorded live on ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Sunday At The Village Vanguard [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Bill Evans
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] live album that forms the "Waltz for Debby," a pair. Supple and beautiful-based work of virtuoso Scott Ruffalo was sudden death from recording after 11 days forever. <Personnel> Bill Evans (p), Scott Ruffalo (b), Paul Motian (ds) ● 6 May 25, 1961, New York, recorded live at the Village Vanguard ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit Li mastering

Kelly Blue [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Wynton Kelly
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] hard bop scene of popular pianist friendly popular board of. Funky title track by the sextet is a big hit in jazz cafe. <Personnel> Wynton Kelly (p), Nat Adderley (cor), Benny Golson (ts), Bobby Jaspar (fl), Paul Chambers (b), Jimmy Cobb (ds) ● 2 May 1959 19 days, March 10, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Exploration [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Bill Evans
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] was hauntingly serene beauty, the highest degree of completion of the Riverside 4 parts Sakuchu. Piano Evans intelligence and lyrical to fusion, will draw the aesthetic world as possible. <Personnel> Bill Evans (p), Scott Ruffalo (b), Paul Motian (ds) ● 2 May 2, 1961, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Brilliant Corners [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Thelonious Monk
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] historical masterpiece by aloof genius. To obtain a personality rich members, embodies the intense Monk World in a mysterious ensemble by a unique aesthetic. <Personnel> Thelonious Monk (p), Clark Terry (tp), Ernie Henry (as), Sonny Rollins (ts), Oscar Pettiford (b), Paul Chambers (b), Max Roach (ds) ● 10 May 9, 1956, 15 days, December 7, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Blue's Mood [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Blue Mitchell
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] masterpiece that trumpeter was recorded in one horn of oxidized silver. Supple singing "I'll Close My Eyes" will leave a refreshing finish. <Personnel> Blue Mitchell (tp), Wynton Kelly (p), Sam Jones (b), Roy Brooks (ds) ● 1960 August 24 days, 25 days, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

The Kerry Dancers [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Johnny Griffin
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen], known for melancholy masterpieces "hasher-by", popular board of "Little Giant". In distinctive undulating exciting play, to listen moist the traditional song. <Personnel> Johnny Griffin (ts), Barry Harris (p), Ron Carter (b), Ben Riley (ds) ● 1961 December 21, January 5, 1962, 29 days, to New York recording on ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit remastering

Kenny Drew Trio [Platinum SHM] [Limited Edition] / Kenny Drew
    [Premium "paper Jacquet" reprint series - Riverside Hen] swingy a free 演集 by genuine hard-bop pianist. Ellington classics "Caravan" of the Trinity of energetic play to hear things. <Personnel> Kenny Drew (p), Paul Chambers (b), Philly Joe Jones (ds) ● 9 May 20, 1956, 26 days, recorded in New York ● liner notes ● paper jacket ● 24bit Li mastering

(OOP Bill Evans and Wynton Kelly titles in Mini LP SHM-SACD format are now from $100 and up on eBay despite their recent Jewel case re-release).