Platinum SHM-CDs launched!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Will buy a platinum Sticky Fingers if it's the same master as the SHM-SACD but that's about it.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Try the DSD remastered CD series, they'll sound just as good, probably the same mastering, unless you're super gullible............

Hamhead likes this.
  3. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I was hoping for The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescure :)

Clanceman likes this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm in for Exile, although I am sure that it won't sound any different from the SHM SACD, which is the best digital version I have heard, similar in detail to a clean Artisan, but (like all other digital releases) lacking that air in the more aggressive stereo mixed tracks. I can add it to the collection and update my avatar

5. Osvaldo

Osvaldo Active Member

I have the blue spec version of Deep Purple The Battle Rages On and never felt like I was fooled.
    Why are you sorry anyway?

danielbravo and rstamberg like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Ahhhhhh, well $30 for a 16 bit not very much (actually minutely) better than the mainstream release that sold for 1/3 of the price. I just had to know, to hear for myself, well I paid the price and now have a right to comment, no, a responsibility to educate. There are a lot of gimmicks out there, this, my friend, is one. Yes, it may cause fewer read errors, but will you "really" hear them? Will this be a "go to" in two years?

7. Slick Willie

What do they say... a fool and his money.......

8. Osvaldo

Osvaldo Active Member

I see. The price is the problem.

9. Slick Willie

No, you don't see, price alone is not the problem, I have SHM SACD's that probably cost more(?) And vinly that cost a lot more, it's the cost/quality quotient that bothers me. Is this better than gold? Better than the state of the art Blu Spec? Or is it just another gimmick? Come on dude, it's 16 bit, get real!!!!

10. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Those vinly's are hard to come by too!:winkgrin:

11. Slick Willie

Name titles. Harder? Or just requires more effort? These days, ain't nuthin' hard to come by.............

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What the hell is a "vinly"?

13. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I don't know, ask Slick Willie.

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Of course you did! You are the best, man!

Whenever my wife gets on my case after a shipment hits from Music Direct, Amazon, Hittin The Note, Acoustic Sounds or CD Japan..........I show her one of your posts!

I guess it's time to use some of my CDJapan points, before they expire :)

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Oops. I didn't read this thread carefully enough, and just took a look at the Universal Music site - this isn't an SACD, and therefore probably isn't from the SHM-SACD master (which was a flat transfer from UK tapes). I'll buy Exile to add to the collection, but there is no way it will sound as good as the SACD (or Artisan vinyl, for that matter).

Jack likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I am cracking up. I've ordered and read Emotional Rescure so many times from CDJapan......that I started accepting that title butcher as normal. Funny stuff man!

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have to have some. It has to be real, right, or they could not sell it. :D

18. Slick Willie

Funny you should ask.. I went to Best Buy 'bout 3-4 years ago (I was bored and in the area). I asked tha' "dude" "is your vinyl in one area or spread around?" He said"uh... around I guess... (long pause) ,, you need a special machine to play those". I looked at him, many responses came to mind, the one that came out was "thank you, that's good to know". He walked away. I watched him wondering..... that will lead this nation one day. So now, yes I do know what vinyl is.... thank you Best Buy and your training program. I know you were being an educated mule, but I wanted you to how I came about about my knowledge.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:laugh:

20. Slick Willie

of course it's real..........and it will be awesome!!!!:doh:

Holy Diver and Clanceman like this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:righton:

Clanceman likes this.
  22. bobdog

bobdog Forum Resident

Does not exist. The SHM SACD is a unique mastering (not really even a mastering as it is a direct transfer of the master tape). The DSD remasters stopped before Sticky Fingers. I agree they sound good though.

MC Rag likes this.
  23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Good point. We can't judge the mastering until we've heard the discs.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Did they say anything about new masterings?

25. Wow, Platinum? Don't expect much on the discs, given the price of platinum or if is even better than gold or aluminium.

Quiz: Is it better reflecting than gold or aluminum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.