Play SACD .iso on Mac!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

"the app can decode dsd to pcm 44"? what's the point if you get PCM 44.1 at the end?

2. According to his settings, it looks like he is transcoding it to 24/44.1. Not pointless at all! Granted, transcoding to 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 would make more sense for DSD.

3. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

If it is being trancoded, then you aren't hearing true DSD. I have tried playing DSD via my mid 2010 Mac Mini with Win8 installed and it (J River) converts the signal before it gets to my DAC (receiver via HDMI). It may be possible to send out a pure bitstream with one of the newer Macs, but I have never tried it.

My "DSD" files are actually dsf files of vinyl that was recorded with a Sony computer. Sony computers used to have a program called DSD Direct (not sure if they still include it) that made it possible record via the analog inputs to DSD/dsf or 24/192. I guess you could do the same with two channel SACD assuming you used the analog outputs and did not convert it, but I never tried it. The computer started having issues, so I stopped using it.

4. Transcoded or not, it's still hi-res.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This thread is more proof for me not to transfer my collection to computer. Way too much inconsistency and mis-information. Not to mention aggravation.

6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

This issue is only related to DSD. CDs are not a problem in comparison. Also, many (not all) SACDs are hybrids with a CD layer, so the Redbook layer on the hybrid can be easily ripped to a computer.

Personally, I love having my music available anywhere that I have Internet without having to haul around CDs.

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Exactly what I said with respect to ripping SACDs - until I started to do it. There are more steps compared to ripping redbook, but with Ted's guide, they are easy to master. The biggest challenge is finding a viable PS3.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I got the PS3, but still, I don't need the aggravation.

9. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

Yes, Audirvana does play DSD. Unless you have a DAC that outputs it as DSD, there's no point. This has been this way for a couple years.

10. Deadwing

Deadwing Forum Resident

Correct muckrocker...If you want all the info you will ever need head over to computer audiophile dot com there are whole threads devoted to the subject. Bottom line Audirvana will decode the iso, but if you don't have a DAC that can process the DSD natively "ideal method" then its like having cake but with no iceing. You can listen via PCM which you can select 88.2kHz if using just your MAC no external DAC in Audirvana as a alternative.

11. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

is there a free app that will allow you to stream .iso files? i.e. through a squeezebox?

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

this plays .iso on mac http://www.jriver.com/mac.html but I dont know if helps you with squeezebox... try.

13. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Stenway, in your comparison of the Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell DVD-A hi res to the SACD, how do they sound? Wish you had my Hugo DAC for DSD playback comparison to the Hi Res PCM.
    NOTE: I don't find any difference between the DVD-A audio over the LPCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.