Playing files (Hi-res and Redbook) on main system for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sir Cosmic, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Cosmic

Sir Cosmic Active Member Thread Starter

Ok, I'm at the point where I have lots of Hi-red files and redbook files that I would like to play on my main system. The files are lossless but can be easily be converted to the full size WAV or AIFF file. I want it to sound as good as playing a CD, SACD, etc. What are the necessary components I need to make this happen? I literally have no clue what I would need. I have an iMac computer-wise. Thank you.

2. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

1. Does your iMac have an optical out, and your preamp / receiver have an optical in? You don't want to use the built-in DAC on the iMac, so if you have an older one with only an analog out, or if your hifi only has analog inputs (or a poor-sounding internal DAC) then a USB DAC is going to be necessary.

2. There is no need to convert to WAV/AIFF; your lossless files should sound as good as the original CDs. (Some people have reported hearing a difference between lossless and uncompressed audio, but that would be the fault of the playback system not the files themselves, and I have done extensive A/B comparisons using a Mac and iTunes as the playback system and hear no difference whatsoever between Apple Lossless and AIFF.)

3. OS X does not change the sample/bit rate on the fly, so you either have to leave it at the highest setting of your audio files (and let it upsample your 16/44.1 files when it plays them), or manually switch it when playing songs of different bitrates. Another alternative is to use an add-on like Bit Perfect which will handle this for you; I haven't used it because my music machine is a pre-Intel Mac and will not run Bit Perfect.

gd0 likes this.
  3. Sir Cosmic

1) Yes my iMac does have an optical output. I believe my DAC does too. So iMac with optical output and DAC with optical input. Check!

2) Good to know!

3) I'll check into Bit Perfect. Since I'll probably not be shuffling songs between bit rates I couple probably switch it on the fly with no problem. Thanks!

bleachershane likes this.
  4. Sir Cosmic

So basically all I need then is a iMac/PC that has an optical output and a DAC with optical input and I'm all set? This will sound just as good as playing the CDs/SACDs? Anyone have a picture of their set up showing this?

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

What types of files are they? Are any DSD or DSF? Asking because you reference SACD. As noted, you don't need to convert anything (I think).

I have a sorta similar setup, It might be just me, but I find that hi-res files that are downconverted sound a little weaker; dunno if it's a simple level reduction or what. And since I've paid for hi-res I want to get the most out of it (I originally intended to keep everything at 16/44 regardless of the source, but relented).

I have a modest USB DAC (iFi Nano) that can handle everything, including DSD/DSF. And I use BitPerfect to ensure the correct bitrate goes to the DAC (which also gives me a visual cue). If you buy DSD downloads, there is a $30 add-on to BitPerfect to enable playback (haven't tried it yet).

I don't rip SACDs (too complex for too little gain) but I do record them in real time through a 24/96 ADC, ultimately to hi-res ALAC.

Everything sounds great. BitPerfect can be functionally clunky at times, but most of the 3rd party software players have shortcomings like this. I like that BP sends the correct signal to the capable DAC.

I only mention these details as it sounds like you're expecting SACD quality. iTunes is a very good and reliable player, but I sense a mild-but-discernible enhancement when using BP. I'm skeptical of format superiority, and even some hi-res, but I do have some dozens of hi-res titles, and intentions to archive them properly.

6. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

What I do is use my Lenovo T400 Laptop (dual core processor) to run JRiver Media Software and USB connect to my iFi Micro DSD DAC.
    From there, I can either plug that into my main audio system (which is currently boxed up), or, plug my Headphones (Sennheiser HD600) directly into the DAC (the DAC has a powerful discrete(?) headphone amp).

What I like is that JRiver software can play a music file and convert the resolution on the fly and stream to the DAC (which accepts PCM up to 768khz and DSD up to DSD512 (SACD resolution X 8). So my lowly CD files (16bit/44khz) can be sent to the DAC as say a PCM 384khz rate or DSD512 (22Mhz) rate.
    Reason I do it cause I can hear differences. My preferred choice for redbook files is streaming to DSD256 (my Laptop processor can't handle converting to DSD512 on the fly).

The DAC also has settings for headphone sensitivity, power mode (turbo setting provides plenty of power to my Sennheisers), standard to bit-perfect settings, polarity switch (which comes in really handy for me), Xtra Bass switch (I don't use), 3D switch (Love this major tweak in sound) and ability to switch to direct line mode (to hook into stereo system).

7. Sir Cosmic

Basically what I meant by converting is that I want to keep everything at it's natural state without having to downconvert anything. For SACD I don't have a SACD player but I have SACDs from which I have ISO files and Flac rips. I also have 24bit HD tracks files in Flac and red book Flacs from CDs. I want to play these in their respective quality.

Thank you for the detailed response!

8. Sir Cosmic

Thank you for your detailed response as well! What's the DAC you use?

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Gotcha.

Since you have several different file types, all high-quality, treat yourself to a new versatile USB DAC. Available at several price points; try searching threads on this forum to start.

And since you have DSD/DSF, make the most of them and find a software player that can handle those. I'm sticking with BP (and its DSD add-on when I get around to it), but you might also look at Audirvana. (I presume you know iTunes won't play FLAC or DSD natively.)

Of course, this little change of direction creates a new hurdle: you need to make sure your Mac is current enough to handle these new gadgets.

Happy hunting.

10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

You can go usb out to a DAC as well.....

11. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Sorry I'm not much help when it comes to DSD files, at the moment I have none (well, I have them but I converted to PCM for listening since I have no way to play them at the moment).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.