Playstation 4 or X-Box one?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I haven't compared the two but I recently bought a PS4 and hadn't bought a new system in the past decade or so and so far have really been impressed the PS4.

If you never played The Last of Us on PS3, which I hadn't, I highly recommend it and it can be had for as little at $15.00 dollars digitally.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

It's a shame that a $99 Sony BD player will play SACDs (and CDs), but the PS4 cannot.

Hutch likes this.
  3. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The fan noise would make you choose a different player.

4. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Monoprice has the Uncharted bundle for $289 today.

5. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Huge sale on PSN right now, as well.

6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I only see it for $299, and the 11% off code doesn't apply to this item.

7. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15035

I actually bought one myself just a couple of hours ago. :D
    It says it includes a disc of the game (instead of a download code) which I'll probably sell to recoup some of the expense. I want to get the New Star Wars game.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Target has the Xbox One (with Gears of War) for $299 (like most other retailers), BUT...they have a $60 gift card as well. That's by far the best deal I've seen on this so far.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Unless you don't want Gears Of War. >_< gimme my Master Chief Collection bundle!

10. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I found it, and placed the order. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd ordered from Amazon, but will cancel it to save sales tax, which is 10%. (total savings $40)

Also had to order a couple of HDMI switchers, so it worked out OK. I really like MONOPRICE. I bought a Wii component cable from then a few years ago, and it was a fraction of the price of the Niontendo cable.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A big store I visited have cut back on blu Ray /DVD titles display to make room for a larger PS4 games display.

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am late to the party! :) Let me first say, this is the first time since the 1980s that I did not have the newest system(s) on launch day. Due to the fact that there are some good Xbox One S bundles available right now, I sprung for a 1 TB Xbox One S with Madden and FIFA 2017. Amazon also threw in a digital download of Fallout 4.

The verdict?

These new systems totally suck all the fun out of gaming! I received the bundle on Monday and I feel like I have spent the entire week installing and not playing games! Seriously - 4 hours to install Doom? I should have done my homework because the internet is loaded with folks griping about the slow installs. I installed the rest of my games offline which speeds things up immensely, but when you reconnect to the internet, it wants to install updates sometimes in excess of 40GB.

Again, I should have done my homework. Even at 1TB, between installing the games and the space it takes for the OS etc, I have already used 50% of my HD space. This will severely curtail my OCD which back in the day, used to drive me to purchase tons of games - now I will be more selective.

Sorry for the rant. Other than that, it's a nice system with incredible graphics and sound.

JQ

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Spoke to a dude the other day,he was buying ps2 games....more titles, he said.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

This is one area where PS4 trumps XB1. Not the download time, but the install. For whatever reason its a lot quicker on PS4.

Everything else considered, either system is worth owning.

Shawn likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah, I asked a buddy of mine today about install times on his PS4 and he wasn't even phased - seems like no time at all. Xbox One is a joke..seriously! Doom took 4 hours and Halo Master Chief Collection about the same.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I predict that when the new Grand Theft Auto game is released on PS4 and NOT PS3, that's when all the fence- sitters will upgrade. I know I will!;)

Thievius likes this.
  17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I have a feeling that's a ways off. Rumor has it their next big title is the follow up to Red Dead Redemption.

At any rate I think its a good time to get one of the new systems. There's really nothing of interest being released on the 360 and PS3 and both are incredibly limited by old tech. And the new systems are cheaper than ever. The new slim PS4 is $299 already. The PS3 is still my blu-ray player of choice, though.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Supposedly the graphics and some of the missions are significantly upgraded for GTAV on PS4...that and a combination of my kiddo pestering me and my PS3 acting up has caused me to buckle. Ordered the Uncharted bundle on AMZ Prime day this week. The slim models seem to perform better and quieter than the earlier models, so I got one of those. I'm also concerned that future consoles will lack an optical drive and as a spinning disc luddite this may be my last opportunity to have discs on the shelf. Uncharted was the next best franchise after GTA, and in addition to Uncharted 4 there is a new game coming in August so it seems to be a good point to upgrade.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my PS3 and games. Probably donate them to a pediatric oncology ward.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Damn if I can remember which New one my son has, but it has the 4K player included. That's gotta be a bonus!!! Since I can't remember which one, I did not vote!

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

4K ?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

4K UHD Player

22. Bingo Bongo

Ya, it's the Xbox One that has the 4k UHD Player. Pretty decent option to through in, as 4k UHD players cost big bucks.

alexpop likes this.
  23. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My new number 1 console is the Nintendo Classic Mini, soon to be relegated to #2 as in September the SNES Mini, which I have preordered already, will become my new #1. Nintendo is making me a happy guy.

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've heard a lot of people say that the PS4's fan noise can be really loud, but I've never had an issue with it.... if anything, sometimes I wonder if my fan is broken, because my console hardly makes any noise at all! Even when I first got it, the only time the console seemed to make any noticeable sounds was when it first booted up or loaded a game. Otherwise it runs pretty quietly.

25. Bingo Bongo

One thing that does piss me off with all new gaming systems & Blu ray players is the amount of time it takes to download and actually be up and running!!!! :rant::D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.