Please give me opinions on some used Vandersteens

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CraigC, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up Thread Starter

Listed as mint Vandersteen 1Ci black speakers with sound anchor stands. The wood caps were stained black which isn't a big deal, but I'd prefer them natural. Come with the sound anchor stands for an asking price of $650. I probably wouldn't have a chance to audition these beforehand.

They'd be in a medium size room, within a foot of the wall and driven by a Yamaha RXV-675. I have an OPPO CD player and listen to a lot of classic rock played LOUD at 256-320 kbps or lossless files through Apple TV/ipods. This is a 5.1 set up, but am really only concerned about how they'd preform for 2 channel music. These would replace Polk Monitor 55T's which I bought new super cheap. I'm no audiophile, but would like great sound within my budget. Thanks for your thoughts...

2. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Vandersteens are excellent speakers, but respectfully your weak point will be your RX-V675. I have an RX-V2095, and these AV receivers simply do not do 2 channel well. My vintage 25 watt Pioneer slays the Yamaha. So, I'm not sure you will be feeding the Vandys the fuel that will have them sounding their best. If you plan on separating AV and 2-channel someday, you might be looking at a nice upgrade.

3. CraigC

Thanks Jake. I could definitely swap out the Yamaha one of these days, would prefer to keep the 5.1 option though.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

When I hear close to the wall and loud I think no. These speakers create a realistic 3D space, but that is all going to fall apart a bit if you play them loud. Additionally, the transmission line, which handles all the low energy, is ported to the rear. If you play these loud like that, you'll get boomy bass that covers over the nuances the speakers are capable of producing. Better amplification will help bring out the strengths, but placement is critical, really.

5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Being a two time Vandersteen owner, I'm going to say maybe to look elsewhere unless you are getting a really good deal. First, these aren't full range so I expect you have a subwoofer. Second, the type of music you play and the format (MP3) will be glaring apparent there is something wrong. Classic rock music isn't always recorded well and playing MP3 or Apple lossless only compounds the issue. These speakers were meant for high quality components and music format (FLAC or better) and dedicated matching components. However, they could do just great in your system but just know that you might be thinking something is wrong, and in the end it won't be the speakers....

6. CraigC

Thanks jupiter. I did read up on these and was hopeful that I could work out proper placement to make them shine. It's hard to describe what "loud" is, but higher than moderate levels at times.

Good points cyclistb and thank you. I have decent turntable/cartridge and plenty of CD's & records to play. I'm thinking that these speakers could be a catalyst to improve my listening experiences. I have other set ups in the basement and garage that work well with my ipods.

7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah in my case I bought the 3A Sig used for $1800 and ended up buying two Vandersteen subs for stereo low end...it's pretty much like having the band in the room. But you need the gear to run it and space to place it.

8. CraigC

I should add that the room is 14" W x 22" L and I have a 12" SVS sub.

9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you can play the speakers in a 2.1 setup when needed then I'd consider those speakers. I checked them out and they are fairly efficent and if you cross them over correctly, the wall placement shouldn't be a huge issue. But it's really up to you...otherwise you could go with a good monitor and stands but I'll bet in the $650 price point you won't find much that would compete with the vandersteens in terms of an entry level audiophile speaker.

And if they don't work out, I'm sure you could sell them quick and break even or loose a few bucks ( which in this hobby is the same as breaking even!)

10. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I think $650 is too high. For that price, you can get into used 2Ces, however, not the Signature or Signature II. A quick Ebay search suggests that $400 is a more reasonable selling price.

I recently sold my 2Cis with Sound Anchor stands for $550.

11. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I don't know what the current model is for the lower end Vandersteen, but only pay a premium if they are under ten years old, original owner, with boxes and cat damage free. Otherwise I agree with the above post.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

Disagree if these are the current 1Ci version. That's not a bad price, especially if there's no shipping cost involved. If they're simply the 1Cs, well I bought a pair for $269 a few years ago.
    I've owned the 1Cs and thought they were exceptional for the used prices. I did have them in a smaller room and also don't listen to a lot of "classic rock." If you like image depth and realistic soundstaging, the small Vandies will do it on a budget.

13. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I own Vandersteen 1Cs, and used to own 2Cs. The 1C is much more commonly found used, and often for just 200-300 with stands. The 1Ci is the current model and harder to find used. They retail for around 1200, so 600-ish is a pretty good used price. As mentioned, Vandy Model 2s can often be found used for 300-600, but these are usually older 2C, 2Ci, or 2Ce that may need some TLC. My 2Cs needed driver replacements.

The Model 2s are most definitely full range speakers and can be used without any need for a sub. They also can be very loud and powerful, if you have the proper amplification. I've used them with vintage 1970s receivers (Yamaha, Pioneer, Sansui) in the 40-80 watt range, and those can be a nice match. The model 1s are close to full range, and have decent low end, but you may not be fully satisfied. For me, they work great because I live in an apartment building and I don't feel like I'm bothering anybody. I use mine with a Rogue Sphinx, and it's a wonderful pairing.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Look for a pair of Vandersteen 2. They sound wonderful. I had a pair of 2ci many years ago and loved them.

15. CraigC

Thanks for all the opinions. There's a pair of 2Ci's on EBay for 350 local pick in Tucson. Seems like a nice deal for somebody.

Fiddlefye, bhazen and chacha like this.
  16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Be careful with older used Vandersteen speakers as I had an issue where the speakers fell apart on me and replacing drivers in these speakers is really a pain.

17. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

I believe the 2Ci included rubber (butyl?) surrounds for the woofers. I think the earlier 2C had foam, perishable surrounds. Ci should be clearly indicated in the serial number plate.

I loved my 2Cis but I expect to love my incoming Treo CTs even more.

jupiterboy likes this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Lucky dog:)

19. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

A man, a broken man, really, shuffles into a meeting with 20-25 people in a semi-circle sitting on folding chairs. Many are drinking coffee.

His frayed jeans and tattered sneakers portray a man of little means. His thread-bare t-shirt is black except for a faded logo: "Josey Records." His wrinkled face, that part that can be seen, hasn't touched a razor in many years.

The man lifts his head slightly and says to the group, "Hi. My name is Chili. I am an audiophile." As is usual in Twelve Step programs, the group prepares to welcome him in unison but before they can speak, one person arises to say, "Lucky dog!"

Lucky indeed.

Manimal likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The main speakers I use today (not Vs) I bought used 25 years ago.

21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had the previous version. They will not crank to ear splitting levels and will not have bass that will dig to the depths of hell. However, they are very fine sounding speakers that would do well in a medium sized room. As previously stated, you will do well to upgrade your amplification. Go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.