Please help an absolute newbie with no clue set up a turntable! :)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

...did I mention I listened to my grandmother's LPs when she gave me her speakers? :D

She did. Well, sorta. Her equipment is completely busted, so I could only listen to one channel. And I had to *spin the LP around using my index finger*. Needless to say, I had some really cool flashbacks about my first TT... back when I was 3 years old (did I ever mention my parents are the coolest persons on earth? How many kids had their own TT (and used their parents' one) when they were three??? And how many kids, even back then, preferred the sound of vinyl because "their uncle said vinyl is the best"?). :thumbsup:

Anyway, something happened. I couldn't believe what I was just listening. There I was, spinning an old turntable around with my finger, listening through an old, completely busted Sony integrated amplifier through old Kenwood speakers... and it sounded *exactly* right. I cannot put my finger on it - through all the layers of dust, mud, and scratches, the music under it all was impressively... real.

So, I came home, and dusted off my old (30 years old!) Technics separates. A friend at the office will rebuild the amp, using new capacitors and resistors. I already cleaned the deck, and it sounds pretty good. I had bought a stylus some time ago for my TT - a $100 Audio-Technica. I never used it, since I later discovered my parents had given away all my LPs a couple of years ago! (I cried).

Anyway, I'm all set up, except for the Turntable. As I said before, it's a Technics, with an "S" style arm (it looks like an "S", at least). I tried mounting the cartridge - success!!! But now it's pretty obvious I haven't got a clue about a real setup - what is the correct angle for the stylus? Weight on the tonearm? Anti-skip setting...?

Please help. How can I correctly set-up my turntable without using some expensive tools? Or, must I use said expensive tools? Finding professional help around here is a moot point - there aren't any real "high-end" options around here. I couldn't even find a stylus - had to mail order it from J&R. So, I'm all alone in this.

Please help me fall in love with vinyl all over again! :love:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

What model numer is the tt? A lot of those old Technics are P-mount and the only adjustment you can really do is vtf and sometimes anti-skate.

4. fjhuerta

Sckott - thanks! I'm checking out your link right now. Seems as something I could use!

Mike, I don't remember whether it's a P-mount... the cartidge is mounted via two screws on top of the arm, the arm is "S" shaped, and it has a counterweight on the other end. It also has the anti-skate setting.

I'll post some more when I get home...

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

It won't be a P-mount if it had 2 screws on top.

6. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

definitely use the free protractor on enjoythemusic. remember it must land on both points to be correct. look up your cartridge on the net and find out it's tracking force.

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Javier:

Welcome to the world of vinyl! Once you get your protractor you will be ready to complete the set-up of your TT. BTW the arm on your unit uses the "Universal" mount not the P-mount. Before you balance the arm you will need to be sure that the stylus overhang is set correctly, use the protractor to do that. To balance the arm: set the cueing control to the down position and adjust the weight of the counterbalance until the arm "floats" in a level position. ( It should be level to the platter, if you eyeball it do this very carefully.) Next, return the arm to its rest and adjust the dial on the counterbalance (it should turn independently of the weight) to zero (0). Next dial in the stylus pressure according to the requirements of your cartridge (most AT carts track well at 1.5gm) by turning the weight (the dial will move with it) to the proper marking. To be certain you have done this accurately, you should purchase a Shure Stylus Pressure Gage. Next, adjust the anti-skating control to the setting which corresponds to the stylus pressure. There are several places on the web where you can purchase devices which will help you make these adjustments accurately. Skott mentioned one that is very good. Also try www.garage-a-records.com for more supplies, turntable belts, and cartridges and stylii.

Those are the basic steps for most static balance tone arms, there are some which have additional weights which also require adjustment. Why not post a pic so we can see what your TT looks like? Also the model number will help. Good luck and have fun!

8. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

The instructions on the protractor are not very clear.

Line up the cartridge so the angle lines up with the lines when the stylus is at the circle.
    Then position the stylus on the other circle and be sure the cartridge still lines up with the lines.

My question is do you just move the platter when moving from one protractor point to the other so you can line up the stylus in the circle or is the stylus to land in the other circle when you move the tonearm in without ANY movement of the platter and protractor?

Thanks - mine is short of the second circle on the inside by 1/2" or so if I do not move the platter. The lines line up ok with the cartridge body.
    My tonearm does have an adjustment at the base - it is to be 12mm overhand from center pin.

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

With the protractor I use(d), yes you have to move the platter. It's a standard two-point paper protractor, nothing special.

You set things up so that with the stylus resting on the first spot the cartridge is parallel to the grid on the protractor and then lift the stylus, move the platter in order to allow for the stylus to reach the second spot and then make sure it's square with the grid there too.

Sometimes it takes a bit of going back-and-forth between the two points to get a cartridge aligned properly.. be patient and ye shall be rewarded :).

Cheers

10. fjhuerta

I just printed the protractor and the strobe generator. I'm all set!

OTOH, my boss told me we'd be working until very late at night today. :( As long as he doesn't tell me the same thing Friday night (Meatloaf's concert day!) I'll be allright.

I'm very excited about this whole deal. Thanks a lot for the help - its really, really appreciated. :)

11. fjhuerta

Got the model number! Technics SL-210. Apparently, a decidedly mid-fi product of the late 70's.

I used the protractor yesterday night. My LP player has a strobe light - sadly, it's out of order by now.

It's not the only thing out of order, though - the whole turntable arm has issues. The arm has the most. The point where the arm is connected to the turntable has a black plastic joint. The arm has two screws, and the joint has two small holes, where the screws should go. The problem is, the holes are out of tolerance, so the arm moves freely around them. I have no control over the arm's height! The weight on the end of the arm has issues, too - it was used so much, it now cannot hold a correct weight for long.

I might simply put the new cartridge on my grandmothers' Sony direct drive turntable, which is in working condition. It's a P-mount, though, so I cannot adjust a thing.

Anyway, I managed to play a couple of discs with my turntable.

Can someone say "bliss"? People are right - LP's ARE high-definition media. I was not bothered by surface noise, or "pops" - all I heard were the most defined cymbal crashes *ever*. Compared to CDs, these sound "real" - the cymbal had proper weight, and the sound of it was powerful, yet perfectly defined. A CD might sound similar, but it simply cannot approach the definition of the LP I heard.

OTOH, stereo separation wasn't as good as a CD. That was interesting to notice.

All in all - three thumbs up. I really love the sound of vinyl - but not enough to start looking for all the vinyl I can't find. Why?

Because I found SACD before! SACD sounds very similar to me to vinyl - but without the added expense of having to buy stylus, adjust the table, clean the needle, etc.

I'll *definitely* try to get my grandma's TT in working condition, so I can play all her old collection in it, though. It's definitely worth doing so.

Thanks for your help! I think I'm headed the right way now! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.