Please help Me Pick A new Cart for my Rega RP-1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

ok...I've decided to go for a better cart in my Rega RP1 I'm currently using a Denon DL-110 and it sounds fine, but I just feel like I can upgrade the sound from this fine table a bit.

The only real requirement is that it be a High Output cart so that I do not have to use a step up tranny. My amp is a beautiful EICO HF-81 that has been restored and soubds incredible. The music I play is virtually all 1960s Pop. I LIKE the tamber of sound from the Denon DL-110, also.

My own choices were:

Ortofon Black
    Dynavector 10X

Please give me your suggestions...thanks!!

Stereoguy

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

Dyna 10X5 would sound great on your table. a very enjoyable cartridge!

Gardo and FulhamTarheel like this.
  3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Go up to an Elys 2 - you will be quite happy with the result!

aoxomoxoa and Ntotrar like this.
  4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'd have no problem with the Ortofon Black. It's a really good cartridge. I bet it would match pretty well with your tonearm.

5. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Yeah, the DVs match up pretty well with the Rega tables.

6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

New platter and white belt first. If it came with an Ortofon OM-5 I would go to LPGear and by an OM 30 or 40 stylus and live with that. The Jico's are well liked here. http://www.lpgear.com/product/ORS040LP.html
    The 40 stylus from Jico is $199 and a great buy.

7. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes, the white belt and a glass platter > then add a cork mat to replace the felt one > $7 at Home Depot for a cork planter mat and a little time sizing it, and you'll notice a huge difference in your sound quality > rich, full sound.

8. stereoguy

Thanks guys, for the suggestions. Where would I get just the white belt and the glass platter? The platter isnt part of the "Performance Pack". I know I can get the Dynavector cart from Needle Doctor.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not sure how much the 10x goes for in the States, but in the UK it clocks in at over £300. That's quite a step up for a deck costing £200 or so. Might be best to pick a slightly "lesser" cartridge, or put the readies towards an upgrade to the turntable?

10. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

My first upgrade to the RP1 was to the Ortofon Blue, and it was an immediate improvement - much less surface noise and dramatic improvement in detail.

Over the last couple years, I've continued to upgrade my RP-1 a bit at a time. Changed the cartridge to a Dynavector 10x5, as well as added a Groovetracer Reference subplatter, Groovetracer Acrylic platter, white belt, Moth MKII tonearm and Rega wall mount. (in addition to getting a VPI 16.5). Each one of these upgrades made a noticeable sonic difference.

In terms of bang for the buck, I would probably say that a new cartridge=new subplatter> acrylic platter> white belt. Compared to the Ortofon, the Dynavector has better soundstage, less surface noise and more detail and depth, especially in the midrange.

I'm sure many will say I've over upgraded an entry level table, and they are probably right. However, incrementally upgrading was all that the budget would allow, and it's allowed me to continue listening, needle dropping and learning along the way. Someday I will get that dream table, but until then, I'm pretty happy with what I've pieced together! Dunno if it's still fair to call it an RP-1, though.

11. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

My two cents? I think both carts would be overkill on your deck. I used the black on my P25 for a couple of years and although it is an impressive cart I always felt the deck and arm were holding it back. As I basically have no funds for a higher-end rega and very much like the looks and sound of the 25; I decided to downgrade the cart. Using a Nagaoka MP 110 now and very happy with it..

BlackPearl likes this.
  12. stereoguy

Arostol: Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. However, my reserach has indicated that the Dynavector 10X would be a very good cart to install on the Rega RP1, based on reports by the many happy campers who have done so with excellent results. I'd agree that the Dynavector 20X would be a bit too much cart for that table, but my feeling is that the Dyna 10X would be "just right". Thanks for your input!!

13. Aristotalloss

Hi stereoguy, never tried a DV cart but I read great stories about their synergy with rega's arms..
    If you got the dough then go for it, you have my blessing!

14. stereoguy

Guys thanks for all the comments. What I've decided to do is to install the Dynavector 10X, new White belt from Rega, and Herbies excellent II turntable mat to upgrade the RP1. I *may* also go for the Groovetracer subplatter, but I havent heard that its really necessary on the RP1. I believe Rega upgraded the subplatter assembly for the RP1. I will need to do some more research on that.
    But I do feel that the cart,belt and mat should go a long way to bring out the best of the RP1, which I believe is a very fine table even tho its technically "entry level".

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I would hold off on the GT subplatter for that table, yes it might improve the table, but you won't get the best out of the subplatter on that table. As far as I know the subplatter is still plastic on the RP1, but I'm not 100% sure. From my experience if you go with the GT Subplatter it is best to go with either of his platters, they match up better then keeping either the stock subplatter or platter.

16. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

I think you'll be very happy with the DV, it is a great cart. I think your upgrade path sounds great. One nice thing starting with an entry level table is that you will really notice the effects of your upgrades.

My RP-1 had a pretty good wobble, I think both from the subplatter and platter. My record shop kindly let me experiment with their RP-1 stock to see if I could find a better subplatter, and although I was able to improve it, the wobble never disappeared, and this motivated me to upgrade my platter and subplatter.

17. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

In that case upgrading the platter and subplatter makes sense, but that table never should have left the factory if it wobbled that much. Rega/dealer should have replaced it no questions asked.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I agree with Aristotaloss. Go for the Nagaoka MP110.

19. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I've had my RP1 for over a year now and am going to try to upgrade a bit in near future.

The plastic subplatter and pulley really bug me. The GT or Michael Lim subplatter will be first along with Lim's pulley, belts(one for 33, one for 45), his cork/rubber mat(or a DIY cork).

I'm happy with my cartridges for now, but may get Grado Gold stylus for $120 when my Red gets some use.

http://lpturntables.blogspot.co.uk/

20. Coldacre

that's a strange notion to have. the RB600 tonearm is a wonderful arm capable of supporting the finest LOMC cartridges. you could throw a 17D3 or even a XX-2 on it and it would sing. just to play devils avocado for a minute, what type of arm/deck would you require to do justice to the Orto Black?

21. stereoguy

CCrider: Actually, Ive heard the Nagaoka MP110 on a Rega table and I was not impressed. In fact, I think that the Denon Dl-110 that I own now sounds better, so getting the Nagaoka would
    not be something that I would consider. Thanks, tho.

22. Aristotalloss

Hi Coldacre, my perception is that the 2M series is very susceptible to arm height, especially the Black. Since I have no riser/spacers to do so I could not help but feel that I did not get the best from this wonderful cart, despite the arms' obvious qualities. I am keeping it though, if I ever should change my mind. A Denon DL 110 is in the spare cartridges box too.. (which in itself is a lovely cartridge too, got it while it was still cheap, same goes for the Nag) ;)

23. Aristotalloss

Hi Stereoguy, I think they are both wonderful for the money. The Nag does have the edge in my system though..(Rega P25, Puresound P10 valve phono stage). At the end of the day it all comes down on your very own ears, doesn't it?

24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I, too. have the Denon DL110 but also give the edge to the Nag MP110.

25. Coldacre

fair enough :)

you should consider buying a spacer! they're pretty cheap and very easy to install. One spacer should be sufficient to get the Ortofon to the right height.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.