Please help Me Pick A new Cart for my Rega RP-1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Now that the conversation has drifted this far, it really sounds like you need to sell this table and buy an RP3. No matter what I did to my old Datsun B-210, it was still a B-210. This has happened to many of us unfortunately. I learned early, buy right buy once. I am surprised at these platter wobble, bearing issues. It is not too much to ask for a $400 table to spin flat.

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I like the choice of a 10X. I put one on my wife's Pro-Ject Debut III and was happy with the results. I would get the height right, though, rather than living with it riding low.

3. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

A more expensive cartridge may indeed be held back a little by the RP1, but if you can afford the cartridge now and intend to upgrade your turntable later, it could be a good move. I used my Benz ACE on my old Rega P3-24 for a few months until I could afford my Well Tempered. The Benz/Rega combination sounded fantastic though I always felt there was more I could get from the cartridge, but I could've lived with it for a long time had I not been intending to upgrade my deck anyway.

The 10X should sound great though.

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Can any cart overcome a poor bearing and wobbly platter? I would think not.

whistler, Tommyboy and motorcitydave like this.
  5. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

Love my 10x5. It will change the way you listen to your music. Must buy!

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Jim: I think you may be underestimating the RB101 tonearm in the RP-1. It is capable of amazing performance, and thats been documented by many reviewers who have been amazed at the cost/performance ratio. If anything, its the platter, motor and power supply of the Rp-1 that falls short of being exceptional, altho they are quite serviceable, designed to fit a certain price point. I believe the arm is totally compatible with a cart in the $600 range, no question.

Ntotrar likes this.
  7. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

FYI, the white belt is cheaper on UK ebay, even with international shipping.

8. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

I once tried to buy a white belt when I had a Rega, but the (belt/cartridge)importer told me it was a waste of money and I may as well just get a new, standard belt (I was needing a new belt anyway). I'd be interested to see what the OP thinks of this as an upgrade - if he gets one, that is. :)

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I agree with you. I've read a few posts in this thread about upgrading the P1 with Groovetracer products, etc. I would save the money and buy an RP3. The Groovetracer subplatter is nearly 70% the cost of the RP1. It would surely make the RP1 sound better, but is it really worth it? On the other hand, I would have no qualms modding the RP3.

I have the full "suite" of Groovetracer products on my P5 (subplatter, counterweight, delrin platter). It has made a big difference. With the exception of buying a MC cartridge, that's as far as I am going to take the P5. The next step is to upgrade to a P9 or another brand.

10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------
    The tonearm, maybe, but the bearing and motor assembly leave a lot to be desired. A platter that wobbles is not acceptable under any circumstances. I think the overall package of the Project Debut Carbon easily trumps the RP1 at this point. My cheap Dual 502 doesn't have the problems the RP-1 has, nor does my really cheap Sony PS-LX350H that I paid all of $60 on a close out brand new. That platter doesn't wobble and I think this table sold for about $350 list, plus it has a strobe and a pitch control. It appears to be the same table that Music Hall now offers as their USB disc spinner. Sony is out of the TT business. I put a spare Ortofon OM 20 on it and it plays fine...for what it is...a spare table. I know it is not an RP3 or a Project Xpression or RPM 1.3.

My feeling is that if you can't at least make a platter spin flat and with consistent speed, then raise the price until you can. At $400 I think that Project has proven one can do that, and they allow upgrades for the platter and a speed controller for improved speed stability and easy change from 33 to 45rpm. I like their one piece arm tube better as well. Most people don't have $700 to $900 right out of the box to start spinning vinyl. The Project Debut Carbon allows them to get started and upgrade the performance over time and when money become available.

I know that not everyone has perfect pitch, but you must get the bearing, sub platter/platter and motor right. You cannot skimp on that.

11. Harry Manback

Harry Manback New Member

Agree 100%
    Elys 2 is really good.

12. Captain Vinyl

Captain Vinyl Forum Resident

Had an Elys 2 on my RP3 for 18 months and totally loved it. Nice detail, forgiving on some of my older records.

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm the same, I have the red bias 2 cartridge on an RP1 performance and thinking of upgrading to the blue Elys 2.
    Is the price difference worth it?

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Absolutely. It's one of the biggest simple additions you can make in terms of sound - a much lusher sounding cart. yet still carries the Rega dynamics.

Ntotrar likes this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Not all Rega RP1 decks wobble. I have one that assuredly wobble free. Factory equipped with the performance package it plays very nicely. Perhaps not as nice as my RP6 but it's perfect for the system its in (Sansui Classique 250, Cambridge Soundworks Model six). Don't let a few instances of manufacturing mistakes color your perception of all RP1 TTs. Even hand made tables from VPI aren't immune. Problems with production lines occur in every industry.

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

My RP-1 doesnt wobble, the speed is fine and the RB-101 tonearm with the Clearaudio Concept cartridge is a magical combination. For $225, the sound coming out of the Clearaudio cannot be believed. I have had audio friends tell me that in my system it sounds nore detailed than $600 carts in other tables.

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Except that DVs need a spacer and use two point mounting...

Ntotrar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.