Please Help Me Understand "5.1 Downmixing"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

I have been in a Talking Heads/David Byrne mode this past two days. I ran across some videos on youtube that the person calls "5.1 downmix". I understand what 5.1 is. But what are 5.1 downmixes? Is it 5.1 mixed back to stereo?

If so, what is the advantage in doing this? The clips sound pretty good to me, but Im not sure what Im listening to mix wise.

Help an ignorant fella out here guys.

jedidarrick likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Some 5.1 mixes have better dynamic range compared to the 2 channel.
    Those Talking Heads DVD-A's are a good example as the two channel's are compressed to holy hell
    However some fold downs can sound off, probably depending on the software used etc
    Why is that guy using a cassette for the slideshow, odd

AlanDistro and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Putting it on Youtube, for one thing. There's no option that I know of for surround sound there.

Outside of that, the post above mine nails it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    c-eling likes this.
  4. mpayan

Yeah, not sure why the cassette thing. Cool factor? Dont know.

I dont hear any phasing issues with the downmix, do you?

c-eling likes this.
  5. c-eling

I didn't
    But when I downmixed Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (DVD-A) 5.1 it didn't sound right. Could of been the software I was using (DVD Audio Extractor)

6. SharkPretty

SharkPretty Forum Resident

I'm not convinced the Talking Heads 5.1 mixes have significantly more dynamic range than the stereo remasters. They still sound very loud and in your face to me. I suspect something in the downmixing process is fooling the DR Meter (which we already know can be fooled by changes in EQ, stereo imaging, and the pops 'n clicks of vinyl)

7. mpayan

Not to derail my own thread, but what are the DRs of the 5.1 mixes? btw, I see other componants of sound as just as important, if not more, than DR. Yet DR seems to be the end all be all for many here.

8. mpayan

The little Ive been reading (and able to understand) seems to indicate its a fairly complicated process to downmix, in that a lot can go wrong.

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

For True Stories the fold down of Radiohead sounds almost like a different mix
    5.1 Folddown DR-11
    [​IMG]
    For the 2 channel DR-7, massive clipping (Peaks hitting 0)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. mpayan

That top is a downmix you did?

11. c-eling

Yes, listen to it, it's very obvious. It's completely off compared to the original :laugh: Maybe different software would do a better job
    Dropbox - 5.1 Downmix.wav

12. mpayan

Haha, that's wild. There are some things about it though that are positive. Its not a clumped up mess like the remaster. Which sucks imo.

It has potential :)

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

Unique is a good word :laugh:

mpayan likes this.
  14. SharkPretty

SharkPretty Forum Resident

I tend to agree with you about DR. But generally, the measurements are something like DR 8 for the stereo mixes and DR 12 for the 5.1 mixes. But the DVD-A's allow you to easily switch back and forth between the two, and I just don't hear a big difference in terms of compression. There are lots of other differences though, which makes them an interesting listen even when downmixed to stereo(as c-eling says, it's a totally different experience). And in full surround, they sound pretty awesome and immersive.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

Recommended for 5.1 enjoyment
    Since I took out my surround a few years ago I've gone back to original/old mastering's for many of my 5.1 formats that include two channel

16. mpayan

Re: Radiohead.

Not sure the 86 vinyl sounds all that terrific either. Pretty crappy eq. The remaster has pretty good separation except its splattered against the wall. Too bad they decided to modernize it even more. They obviously had a great source for the transfers.

c-eling likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I always make downmixes because I can't play 5.1 mixes. Am limited with two channels only.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

I have to give the US cut a revisit, been a few years. I usually grab my old Japan for US compact disc for this title. But I haven't done any serious back and forth

mpayan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.