Please Help Me Understand Tube Rolling

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wags, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The idea behind tube rolling is to switch out different brands of tubes for the same socket. If you switch out everything at once, you'll never know which individual tube brand works in one application.

If you have 4 Russian tubes, use them as pairs. Don't intermingle. They have to work off of each other in a "push-pull" mode. It's like your diving buddy; you don't want to switch buddies in mid-stream.

See? If not, say so and I'll elaborate...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wags,

One pair IS the left and one the right. Both pairs (all four tubes) should be the same brand. If you want to switch back to Mullards, you have to BUY another Mullard of the same era and vintage and switch all four Mullards back in. See? You can't mix and match different brands of output tubes, it ain't done.

Would you put one brand of tire on your left front wheel and another brand on your left rear wheel? Would you mix and match? No, all four tires have to work as a team and should all be the same brand.

INPUT TUBES (the little ones) can be switched out according to type just as long as both channels have the same thing.

If I'm making this clear as mud to you, say so and I'll try again. I don't mind!

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Wags,

Your statement above is correct except that it's to change only one same type per time.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

what do we call amp rolling? cable rolling? wire rolling? tuner rolling?

Wags the Mullards sound better in the st70. so try them before offing the st70.

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Hi, I hate to thread crap, but HELP! I need some 7189's mullards preferably!!!! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.