Please help! Strange odor from new cassette deck!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Horace Wimp, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle Thread Starter

I hope someone might be familiar with a strange (to me) problem I just encountered. A week ago I bought a Sony bookshelf system (nothing fancy, obviously) for the bedroom. There is an extremely strong odor coming from the two cassette wells. My guess is it is either some type of factory implemented head cleaner or some type of glue. It is unbearable! I've had it "airing out" with both cassette doors open for a week, but it hasn't lessened. I emailed Sony customer service, but they sent me a catch-all reply: "bring it in for service". I could return it, but I wonder if there is something I'm overlooking to fix the problem. Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Did you buy it from Jeffrey? :D

j/k

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IIRC, it's from the manufacturing process...every one of my audio/video components had a strong "transistor" (Pet Name;)) smell when new...It should burn off soon.

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

You know, Michael might be right. I remember this on a couple pieces of equipment as well.

Do worry if it doesn't go away after I dunno, .. a couple weeks or so, though.

Edit: thinking about it, it might be some of the flux from the circuit boards evaporating or something. Just an uninformed guess. From what I remember, the smell of flux when soldering is similar to what you describe.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Keep it in the basement or garage (or an unused room) for a while. No sense "choking" on the smell!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Exactly...:)

7. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I guess I'll wait a while longer to see if the smell goes away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.