Please recommend a dry record cleaning brush

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by reb, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

I have been using the Hunt carbon fiber brush to remove dust prior to play. Last time it wore out, I replaced it with a new one. Its time to replace it again, has anyone found a "better" brush than the Hunt?

Thanks

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

All of the carbon fiber brushes are similar in quality. The Hunt has a wider path and some separation between the carbon fiber rows so it might do a better job than the more narrow types. They are also similar in that they are only good for statically attached dust, basically clean records only. I'd just get another one if yours is worn out, although I am at a loss as to how that might happen. I recommend getting a wet cleaning pad/brush also. Nitty Gritty has a tiny one that is easy to use and their fluid is exceptional. The classic Discwasher is also easy to use but is quite a bit larger. I replace the fluid in those with the Nitty Gritty fluid myself. Those two wet and dry manual brushes will clean up records fairly well. You would need a vacuum record cleaning machine to really get deeper into the grooves.
    -Bill

3. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

If you mean the one that combines the carbon fibres with the velvet pad, I've not found anything better.

4. reb

Yes, its the one with the velvet between the 2 carbon fiber sweeps. I also have a Nitty Gritty RCM. But don't have any wet brush system.

5. reb

I found this interesting post on another forum:

"Not long after I pulled the trigger on a Hunt EDA brush at $25, I picked up a bundle of 25 16"x16" terry micropoly towels from Sam's Club for $10. The packaging claimed 80,000 fibers per square inch. I figured that ought to be fine enough to be able to scrub out an LP's groove.

What I quickly found out was that these towels render the dry brushes irrelevant. I fold over and then roll up one of the towels, and it is infinitely better than one of the much more expensive aluminum-handled carbon fiber brushes. I can use the towel dry for a dust-brushing, or with record cleaning fluid to clean more throughly and to remove grease, mold, and smudges, and then use the dry end to dry off the record cleaning fluid.

Unlike a record cleaning brush, when the towel gets gunked up from cumulative cleanings, I can drop it in the washing machine, and I still have 24 backup towels to see me through until that first one is clean."

waaguirr likes this.
  6. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I use the Audioquest carbon fiber brush for dry cleaning with good results. I'm not sure whether or not it's better than the Hunt brush, but it works for me.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Personally I found the Hunt brush to be a little stiff compared to the Audioquest. If you want something softer get the Audioquest, if not stick with the Hunt.

8. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I've been using Mapleshade's static draining record brush with good success. It replaced a Hunt brush and does a better job. The humidity is very low in Nevada and I have a terrible time with static. This brush seems to help (or at least it doesn't add to the problem like the Hunt did). The wire hairs on the brush are delicate and the grounding wire is very thin, but if you're careful it should be fine.

Be aware that you can't apply any pressure with this brush, so if you're trying to remove anything other than stray hairs and a little dust, this brush won't work for you.

9. reb

Thanks for all the input, keep em rolling in!!

That Mapleshade brush has got me leaning to give it a try.

Just yesterday, the sun was shinning at just the right angle as I was cleaning the record with the Hunt. In the light, you can see that the Hunt doesn't pick up all the dust. Yeah, mine is worn but the carbon fibers still do stick out enough past the velvet surface to sweep.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Nah, That's actually the one that I was comparing the Hunt to. It's actually sold under several names. Both types work just fine; they are a little different in feel and use but the results are effectively the same. If I had to choose, I'd go with the Hunt simply because it has the added velevt center and a separation of that distance from the two carbon sweeps, giving you more angles and tools to go at the dust bunnies with. I suppose that you could even get the center velvet part slightly damp so that it reduced static even further but I've only used it dry. The other brushes like the Discwasher and the Nitty Gritty, I use almost dripping wet for more dusty records and slightly damp for the more clean ones.
    -Bill

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I use the Audioquest, one of the cheapest, yet one of the safest and most effective. If you want to go the way of the Hunt, just be sure you keep your concentration when using it. One slip and that record will grab that brush and pull it right out of your hand, sending it skating across the top of your vinyl.

12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

:laugh:

I hate it when that happens... :wtf:

-Bill

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the AudioQuest brush and the Decca Deram brush. Both recommended here. I use the Decca Deram between machine cleanings.

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I love my Hunt brush, works great.

15. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I think that you should not be expecting that the Hunt or Audioquest brushes are going to be picking up all the dust from the record. To get the dust, etc out of the grooves you need to actually clean the record, either using a VPI-type machine or washing in the sink or whichever of the million ways people have suggested on this very forum. After completely washing the record and putting it back into a new Mobile Fidelity or round-bottom Japanese "rice paper" sleeve (which cost about 10 cents apiece if you order a bunch) you probably don't have to wash the record again. The Hunt or Audioquest brushes I use each time I play the record, and it is primarily to reduce static, which significantly improves the sound. It does also get a bit of dust off, so sometimes I use the brush when I occasionally play an unwashed record, but that is not it's primary value, in my opinion.

16. reb

Every record in my collection was cleaned before shelving on a RCM. But I put them back into their original sleeves. Many/most have remained surprisingly dust/lint free. No way I'm gonna clean them again on a RCM- the desire/obsessiveness is no longer there. I'm looking for the easy way out. :D

I think that I'm going to give the micro-fibre cloth a try.

17. reb

18. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

I use those towels too, but I do it like this (for already vacume cleaned records before I play them): First I use the Discwasher velvet brush wet. Then I use the towel to dry the record. Last I use a carbon fibre brush to remove any leftover static, then it's on to playing time. :righton:

19. reb

The Sleeve City Brush and microfiber cloth arrived today. I can't tell the difference between the sleeve City ($11.85) and The Hunt Brush ($30.00)

Attached Files:

20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think the microfiber cloth they sell is pretty great. Please let us know how the brush works out. My Hunt is getting a little long in the tooth and I don't mind buying a cheap knockoff if it works just as well ;)

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can anyone tell me how often a Hunt record brush should be replaced? Mine is years old (going on 10 perhaps).

22. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

I bought a knock off model of the Hunt that LP Gear makes and like it a lot. At first it seemed way too harsh and I thought it would scratch my albums. But it seems to be working well. I always used the Audioquest two row carbon fiber brush, but started noticing brush scratches on brand new albums. They went away after washing the record.

I also use microfiber and the Gruv-Glide pads, which I love and wish you could by separately at Guitar Center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.