Please suggest a good thriller.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A Most wanted Man is a slow building thriller. La carre may not be your thing, tho.
    This is also the final starring role for the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. He's wonderful

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

The Beatles: Help! :D

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

state of play

russell crowe

rachel mcadams

ben affleck

helen mirren

LilacTeardrop and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

This is a debating forum, your subjective opinion has been called into question and instead of doing an indignant hissy fit you could have succinctly explained why you regarded Night Moves as one of the worst films ever you saw.
    I thought you might have been mistaking Night Moves for something else but I see now that you readily express extreme negative opinions about films ("hate" "horrible" "worst ever" and you actually could regard Night Moves as one of the worst films ever... and that opinion doesn't mean very much.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

In your mind exclusively. The proper term for this website is "discussion board". Get your eyes checked as the section this specific forum is in is called "Discussion" ; not "Debate". Buy a dictionary to learn the difference.

You lack basic good manners. Insulting my tastes is not conducive to creating a conversation where respect prevails. It is of no surprise to me that the logic of the previous sentence might escape you but would suggest nevertheless brushing up on your manners before replying to a post of mine.

Nowhere in your post was that asked. I'm calling you out on trying to save face. Nowhere did you express any curiosity about my reasons for disliking that movie. You could have formulated your post entirely in a different fashion by phrasing it in a way which enables a respectful discussion to take place, such as "Hmmm, that's interesting. I've never heard of anybody having this strong a negative opinion about this movie before. Would you kindly elaborate on why you felt this way?"

But instead, you opted to call my tastes strange and insinuate they're inferior based on disliking what YOU like. If you cannot bear to read a differing opinion than the one you hold dear, I'd suggest leaving this thread as your ego clearly cannot process this without lashing out.

Another attack which (again) proves to me you are incapable of using a respectful approach to communicating with others. Are you absolutely incapable of writing a respectful post? I'm asking as the challenge appears to be monumental, in your case.

Almost all members are capable of doing so. It's a shame that is a concept which you've demonstrated an inability to grasp.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I second or third Sicaro

woody likes this.
  7. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

Rasputin and TakiJones like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

teodoro likes this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Have you seen Blow Out, which was mentioned once already?

I'd also second Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Same director of Let the Right One In (2008), which is an all time favorite of mine.

Was the Coen brothers No Country for Old Men mentioned?

I noted Villeneuve's Sicario was mentioned a few times, so tack on Prisoners and maybe Enemy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    woody likes this.
  10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The two Alex Cross movies Morgan Freeman was in-Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls. Both are excellent.

LilacTeardrop and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Don't Breathe.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Check out Sneakers from 1991-ish. Robert Redford, Mary McDonnell, Sidney Poitier, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix - it's an all-star cast.

Light, fun, heavy stakes, but zips along - I rewatched the other night after years and was surprised that not only does the film hold up, it predicts... well, a lot of modern day tech things. I really recommend it.

Could be in the "Caper" category but its a solid thriller, too.

And if you haven't seen the original Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, that one too - and if you like caper/thrillers, don't miss the gritty 70s Charley Varrick.

Jeff

ssmith3046 and Splungeworthy like this.
  14. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

The first movie on the OP's initial list, "The Game", reminded me of a similarly-named movie, "Games." It's a mid-60's movie with James Caan, Katherine Ross, and Simone Signoret. Gotta stay alert when watching this one. Haven't seen it in probably a couple of decades; the trick will be to find it somewhere.

Someone mentioned "Klute" above, which is good, and that one always reminds me of "Sleuth" from the same time period (which IMO is even better).

Doug

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

• D. O. A. (both versions): While both movies share a similar premise, each goes in its own direction.
    • Black Magic M-66 (anime)
    • The One (Jet-Li movie)

16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

You know, I don't know if it qualifies as a thriller, exactly, but Let Me In is an amazing movie. It's the story of a child vampire. Usually movies romanticize vampires, making them both good looking and sexy. This one, shows just how lonely, dire and sucky being one would really be. It's a remake of the Swedish original, Let The Right One In, that perfectly shares the tone and vibe of original (which is also a fantastic movie in its own right). It's grim. Real grim. And unpredictable.

If you do get around to seeing it, I'd love to know what you think.

Madness, woody and Malina like this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

could've used a little more action, imo. Sometimes that adage of bad books make good movies and good books make.... ok movies.

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Sicaro's sequel out this summer so you'll be well prepared

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

No Villeneuve. No Deacons. No Blunt.

No thanks.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Score (directed by Frank Oz)

21. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Check out Caché by Michael Haneke: a deep and slow-burn psychological thriller.

The Grey with Liam Neeson is a nice and visceral survival-thriller with wolves.

Nightcrawler is a very thrilling and perverse neo-noir.

Cop Car with Kevin Bacon has a great minimalistic idea (and it's well done).

22. Strat-Mangler

Just watched it. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Now to try some other suggestions posted in this thread. :)

teodoro likes this.
  23. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

The first Alien.

24. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

ssmith3046 and arley like this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.