POCO- what to get on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

They are actually doing three shows in California, and possibly setting up some for the East Coast later in the year. The current quartet, Rusty Young, Paul Cotton, Jack Sundrud and George Lawrence, will also be opening for some Loggins & Messina shows in the Northeast this summer.

2. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident

Yes the first album through Legend

3. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

If they play the east coast, I will do what I can to be there!

4. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I only noticed a dropout on "What If I said I Loved You" but that was it. The rest of the cd sounds fine.

5. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I saw Poco about a year ago with the current line up and throughly enjoyed it. I really liked Richie Furay's Heartbeat Of Love and i Am Sure and would love to see Poco with Richie, Jim and Tim. If they annouce any East Coast dates please post them to the forum.

6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

There are a number of songs I really like from Under the Gun, Blue and Grey, Cowboys & Englishmen, Ghostown, and Inamorata. Unlike a lot of fans, I do find a lot of songs I like on Inamorata. But they certainly abandon the country rock sound for this one album.

7. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

For someone looking for a compilation I would recommend Gold. It's a two disc and covers the entire bands career. There is quite a difference between early Poco to the 80's Poco. If you decide you like Poco give me a shout and I'll tell you what albums I personally think are the best from the various eras.

8. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Your right about those albums. All have good songs. They also have some not so good songs. Inamorata has about two songs I thought were good, Days Gone By and How Many Moons. If you polled the majority of die hard Poco fans for the worst album, this one would probably win by a landslide.

9. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Oh,yeah...most fans hate it. I love those two songs but also "Save A Corner Of Your Heart For Me", "This Old Flame", "When You Love Someone"...

I was working part time in a record store when Inamorata came out. I was playing it in the store. A couple seemed really excited while "When You Love Someone" was playing. They came to the counter and asked "Who's that playing?" When I said "Poco", the smile left the guy's face and he said "I don't like them".

10. Mark

Sure. You can also check at www.poconut.com.

11. Gene

Gene Active Member

There are some good songs on there, wish they'd remix it - it might help!

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Poco played "Days Gone By" for years in an arrangement the sounded more along the lines of the 75-77 years. "Save A Corner Of Your Heart" was a song that struck me right away. On my first listen, nothing was particularly striking. "Save A Corner Of Your Heart" just jumped out immediately. "The Storm" is also very good.

13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

More than anything for me, I loved hearing those voices together again. Tim's vocals on "How Many Moons" and "Save A Corner" just made those songs great for me.

14. Mark

The harmonies on "This Old Flame" still make the hair on my arms stand up.

Big Train likes this.
  15. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I have Gold and 20th Century Masters compilations on CD. Both are good but I do listen to Gold a lot more, since it has more songs included.

16. rwduke

rwduke Member

I just purchased Gold and found it to be a bit too loud. I used audio editing software to lower the volume (Attenuate) one decibel and it sounds much better.

17. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I love A Good Feelin' to Know but am not pleased with the sound. That one could certainly use a careful remastering.

the Poco back catalog doesn't seem to get much special treatment. I had Legend on 1/2 speed mastered LP and wish I had kept it.

bluerondo likes this.
  18. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Pickin' Up the Pieces, Cantamos, and Head Over Heels are the three albums I keep going back to. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say Cantamos. The Forgotten Trail is a pretty great comp and a great place to start, even though it doesn't cover their whole history.

19. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Another vote for Deliverin'. [​IMG]

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Instant Karma likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

To me, those are easily the best Poco albums.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Jeez... can you hear those dog whistles too ? Seriously. :confused:

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

what's the feeling here on the live 71 columbia studios archive release? it get good reviews on amazon but i thought the performance was a bit flat.

24. Mark

Mixed emotions. It's really nice to have, but, for some reason, it attained mythic status before its "official" release and that may have overrated it a bit.

Personally, I'd go for "The Last Roundup" as a live album, but that's a little later down the Poco trail line. Richie's on a couple of cuts, though.

BTW, the current lineup, Rusty Young, Jack Sundrud, George Lawrence and Michael Webb, are recording in Nashville.

25. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i think that's a frequent occurrence with well known but not widely heard boots. just because it's old and rare doesn't always make it good. the jefferson airplane live at fillmore east from may 68 was scrapped at the time. it's really not that good and the band knew it but in this day and age of archive releases, anything goes. spencer dryden said it was s**t back then and nothing changed when it was finally put out a few years back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.