POCO- what to get on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I remember how lost I felt when I heard "Seven," the first studio album after Richie left. It had some decent moments, but wasn't really a true Poco album to me. Then, "Cantamos" hit and all was right with the world again. A terrific album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

here's a show for you that i attended:

aerosmith
    kingfish
    poco
    nils lofgren
    mahogany rush
    slade

outdoors in trenton,nj in the summer of 75. what a mix! we left after kingfish.

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Now that'a a weird lineup. Reminds of me seeing The Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson Band open for them in '79. It was so loud, I could barely hear Poco.

4. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

GREAT THREAD !

It warms my heart to see people become aware of Poco and once you dig in their material and professionalism,you will have a profound admiration.

1."Pickin Up The Pieces". First album. Jim Messina produced this. The songs and performances are great,but the production sound very very thin.
    There is no bottom to it. That said. It is still miles above just about everything else of that period in the country rock genre. My opinion.

2. "Deliverin" is the best quasi "live" album I have ever heard. If you really want to hear how good they were technically listen to 'Nobodys Fool" Rich wrote it and check out the guitar solo. Between Jim,Tim and George they pull off possibly the most intricate pop/jazz performance I have ever heard.
    This album will knock you out.

3. "Good Feelin To Know" Polished Poco.

I would get those three,albeit early albums,but this was the original lineup.
    I know Rich and he is going to be here next month with Buffalo Springfield as far as I know. The picture is Rich and me a few years ago in Denver and Jim,me and Rich in San Fran or L.A. ?

bluerondo likes this.
  5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great Pics! :cheers:

6. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The 2013 Iconoclassic cd of "From The Inside" is my go-to version, especially since it has bonus tracks. The Live At Columbia Studios disc is worth having too.

bluerondo, JDeanB and Hep Alien like this.
  8. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

BGO actually messed up the Poco two-fer "A Good Feelin' To Know"/ "From the Inside" pretty bad, at least the AGFTK half. The Iconoclassic release of "From the Inside" is excellent, IMHO. How I wish Iconoclassic or AF or someone, anyone would give the same treatment to "A Good Feelin' To Know" as it's my all time favorite out of all their albums. I also love "Crazy Eyes", "Seven", "Cantamos", "Rose of Cimmaron", and to a lesser extent, "Legend".

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Hep Alien and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

picked up Forgotten Trail. Its been a long time since I heard any Poco! Thanks for the recs.

bluerondo likes this.
  10. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Their SACD

11. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Deliverin' a great place to start.

12. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

That happened to be where I started. I like Pete Fornatale's liner notes.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I found a quad LP the other day. One bit of trivia is that the "quadraphonic sound supervision" credit is to John Cale, apparently the same John Cale who had been in the Velvet Underground.

14. pool_of_tears

I never noticed that

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Single CD's MFSL "Legend"

Great Compilations
    1) Crazy Loving 1975-82
    2) The Forgotten Trail 1969-74

pool_of_tears likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

Those are great introductory points to both their Eoic and MCA outputs.

17. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Very Best of Poco is a great comp of their older material. The Forgotten Trail 1969-74 is also excellent as some have already mentioned. Great place to start. I love/like all of their individual releases, but my favorites are A Good Feelin To Know and From The Inside. Classics in my opinion. I even like Legacy. :pleased:

18. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Second on the Iconoclassic version of "From The Inside." The great sound from Vic Anesini's remastering really brings this album alive. Might be my favorite Poco album now.

Hep Alien, lbgarcia and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

EVERYTHING! STARTING AT THE BEGINNING!:pineapple:

JG

rjp likes this.
  20. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

This is one of my favourites, but on vinyl!

JG

21. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

The Forgotten Trail is a terrific collection--good selection, more-than-decent sound quality. The album/cd I have played the most since it was issued is From the Inside. I've never quite figured out why it has been critically panned (I love "Bad Weather," "You Are the One," "Railroad Days," "Ol' Forgiver," "From the Inside" ). I know the band was going through a rough period and didn't like the direction producer Steve Cropper was taking them. Plus it was Paul Cotton's first studio album (My two favorite tunes were written and sung by Cotton: "Bad Weather" was apparently written as a sort of eulogy to Illinois Speed Press's breakup, and "Railroad Days" was the hardest rocking song they've done). Yes, some of the slower tunes drag a bit: "What Am I Gonna Do," "Do You Feel It Too," "What If I Should Say I Love You," but they certainly don't sink the album. Steve Cropper's influence on the rhythm guitar licks is pretty obvious. The live Deliverin' didn't leave my turntable for months. Rusty Young's pedal steel is awesome throughout. I saw the band in St. Paul (summer of '71, I think) and was blown away by the climactic medley documented on this album, "Just in Case It Happens, Yes Indeed" > "Grand Junction" > "Consequently So Long". Cotton went nuts on his pedal ax, pulling it down onto his lap as he sat on the stage (the peak of "Grand Junction"). I also have enjoyed "Live at Columbia Studios, Hollywood 9/30/71 recorded not long after Paul Cotton joined Poco.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Crazy Eyes and Rose of Cimarron are my faves :)

23. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

Oh! Last but not forgotten, another live album (post-Furay) that I play a lot when I'm in a Poco/Buffalo Springfield mood, titled Poco Live and released in 1976. Quoted in Pete Frame's Rock Family Trees: "noted Poco aficionado Peter O'Brien. . . [writes], 'Side one of Poco Live will convince disbelievers of their magnificence' . . . clutching their 14 albums." O'Brien also listed his ten fave tracks (chronological order): "Bad Weather," "Ride the Country," "Good Feeling to Know," "Blue Water/Fool's Gold," "Crazy Eyes," "Magnolia," "Sagebrush Serenade," "Makin' Love," "Rose of Cimarron," and "Legend." I agree with O'Brien's appraisal of Poco Live. I have the lp and forked out some bucks for the hard-to-find cd, but now an inexpensive remastered import is available.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

James I don't know how the UK vinyl sounds but this CD blows away my original Yellow Epic US vinyl. And the previously unreleased, Richie Podolor produced single release seals the deal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.