Podcasts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice Bursztynski, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I suppose this is shameless personal promotion, but I am one half of a thing called Moronophonics (a sidecast on the Pods and Sods Network found at THE PODS & SODS NETWORK ) where I and another musically obsessive guy dissect albums that at least one of us really likes. It's really a pretty loose conversation between two old friends that focuses on the album or artist but can deviate more than a little.

Of course, I think we're also hilarious at times, but I would, wouldn't I?

MikaelaArsenault, Benno123 and danner like this.
  2. danner

danner Forum Resident

Ahh, you must be Ian! Moronophonics is great!

MikaelaArsenault and izgoblin like this.
  3. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Heh heh, you said "raise".

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Aww shucks, thanks much!!

5. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

A few I try to keep up with

Music in general:

*The Eddie Trunk podcast; always good interviews in rock / metal
    *metal wraps: 3 guys talk select topics that are happening in the music world, again mostly metal and rock. Can be many weeks between episodes though
    *1 on 1 with Mitch lafon. Interviews, this also mainly rock and metal (has now become "rock talk with Mitch lafon)
    * talk is Jericho- some good interviews there
    * classic metal show - when the topic is interesting to me

Specific bands

* the Yes music podcasts
    * 3 sides of the coin (kiss)

Depends on what they cover each week

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yeah, I generally agree with you. I listen to and enjoy all three. I've found myself listening to Fab 4 a lot lately though. It reminds me of hanging out with my music friends with all the jokes and inside references. It's a lighter change of pace, I guess.

Has anyone found a Dylan podcast? I haven't run into one.

7. John Brookbank

John Brookbank BLK Vinyl Slinger

Let me know if you get far enough to recommend a good starter episode other than the first. I guess being able to talk about Yes for 200+ hours means you have some sort of authority!

8. John Brookbank

Oh, Sodajerker! Top notch podcast. I must've listened to 50+ shows.

So I can save it as an mp3 in Chrome by right clicking on "Download This Episode" and selecting save as. Maybe switch browsers or see if you can update Firefox. Maybe an uninstal/reinstall?

9. John Brookbank

Ah, yeah. You nailed it, probably why I've dropped off with them after listening to nearly every show up until early last year. They are great personalities and talkers otherwise. Probably the most knowledgeable Beatle-ites out there.

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The stupendous Beyond Yacht Rock is all I have time for. It's not at all just yacht rock. The crew invents a new genre each episode, then compiles and counts down a Top 10 all the while making me LOL.

RoyalScam likes this.
  11. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Is there room for another Beatles podcast? I'm up for starting one. I'd like to do something different: "Learning about the Beatles", where a new (2013, thanks to Lewisohn) fan like me talks to experts and discusses books. It's a different angle - as it is, every single Beatles podcast there's ever been in history has been run by people who are already superfans who know everything. I'm from the Erin Weber (The Beatles and the Historians, an excellent book) school of reading history: don't believe every word you read, examine it, have fun with it. I'd love to pick the brains of experts.

What I think it is is, the English guy never lets a single opportunity pass to make one of his snipey jokes. Any comment that he can use to say "well you would say that wouldn't you" or "yeah well that's like you isn't it", he uses. I think that's my problem - I'd love to be surprised even with an awful joke (you've all got a real treat in store in the last line of this post!) - but I think it's that every single time there's something that can be used, it is used. Every time they mention "Mona Best", I brace myself for Richard (finally remembered his name) to say "I wonder if she's the best moaner". DO IT ONCE A YEAR GUYS!

I just listened to the Lewisohn/Alan Williams episode, and because Lewisohn (while being a friend of Buskin) is such a giant figure, there were NONE of those "obvious" jokes, and the show was brilliant - Richard is extremely knowledgeable and he was around in the 70s, talking to Mona Best and Bob Wooler and Alan Williams. He's someone I want to listen to. And he proved in that episode that he can do a fun, interesting, irreverent interview without finding words like "queen" funny.

And you're a member with the number 2 in your user account number! Haha sorry man, I actually made myself laugh at how bad that was!

12. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

I also have 9/11 in my user number.

13. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I find the podcast reached a new level with the arrival of a "co-host" (Mark Anthony K), when they discuss things and react to each other's comments. I he came on board sometime after the death of Chris Squire.
    Prior to this, while there was a lot of great content, it was a little too scripted imo.

episodes to start with? depends on what YES content you're most interested in. Take your pick.

14. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations for Rock Solid. I'm making my way through the first of their Kinks episodes and really enjoying it.

15. John Brookbank

No, that's just the kinda thing I wanted to know. Podcasts can take a while to get in their groove so I am always suggesting starting points when giving podcast recommendations to others, i.e. the second host, audio issues earlier and like you said, stilted/scripted monologues.

70-74 is my sweet spot with Yes but I know I'd get into more if I heard more and especially hearing someone talk about it. Thanks!

16. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

I absolutely love "The Vinyl Guide" by Nate Goyer. It's available on Itunes and on the web. A ton of great topics and extremely educational!!! Has really helped re-invigorate my quest for vinyl.

17. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

Absolutely agree - I discovered Nate probably six months ago and now am a covert. Very informative and just the right amount of quirky humour.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My friends The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band's podcast Hard Times and Weirdness is now up to 21 episodes. #11 is an absolute classic about a run-in with the Motor City Madman.

Hard Times & Weirdness: Hard Times & Weirdness - Episode 11

These folks travel all over the world, playing 200+ dates a year. Their most recent episode is about their adventures touring in Spain in an incredibly tiny van.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and Rupe33 like this.
  19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

The latest episode of The Vinyl Guide is part 1 of a 2-part interview with Jakko of King Crimson.

MikaelaArsenault and The Sage like this.
  20. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

Thanks for the heads up - I will certainly be listening.

21. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

Episode 100 of the Vinyl Guide featured Henry Rollins and was a great listen. Shocked at how into vinyl he is.

22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

My Favorite Album with Jeremy Dylan has artitst talking about their favorite albums> He had Benemot Tench talking about Beggar's Banquet and Bob Harris talking about Forever Changes for example.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The series isn't about music, but the adult film star podcast The Rialto Report had a fascinating two part piece about Andrea True. They dug out the demo tape of Turn The Beat Around (More More More) and compared the original mix to the final, and it's a wonderful demonstration of the importance of the process. Content advisory : she was an adult film star, and they do talk about that.

24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

These guys will be in town in a month or so. I plan on trying to make it.
    1. I assume you recommend?
    2. Will there be any adult film stars involved?

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I’m going to find one to listen to right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.