"Pogues 30" box set (includes unreleased live album with Joe Strummer and two remixed albums)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

Philip Chevron reports:

http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16733

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

:goodie:

I have been DYING to hear the Joe Strummer fronted Pogues for years and years.

brianvargo and art like this.
  3. I was at that Forum show in London 91! I also saw them in Manchester earlier on the same tour. Both shows were great. I remember Shane watching from the side of the stage at the London show. I was hoping he'd come out for a song but never did.

4. Sandinista

Nothing in that thread that I could see about the other albums being remastered aside from the two remixes. I have the remasters which sound ok to me. Wonder if they will be using those versions with the all xtra tracks or what.

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

strange and sad situation i must say , it was his band after all
    i cannot remember the reasons why Shane took a break : health , mental reasons ?

6. Sandinista

all of the above IIRC. He dropped in an airport or something in the middle of a tour. Dude was and is (AKAIK) a mess. Drinking himself silly.

7. There are a few Strummer fronted tracks on the last Pogues boxset.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, Shane drank himself out of the band. They didn't want him gone. He did it to himself.

As for the box...The first four are good to great, and the fifth is good enough. But I think most anyone who has enough interest in the Strummer show to consider this already has all those. And the last two studio albums...who needs those again?

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I saw the tour in LA...I concur, it was great. Strummer singing Pogues, and the Pogues playing Clash, both came off even better than I'd hoped.

10. Sandinista

Aha - I never picked that up. How do you like them?

11. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Saw the same tour in Liverpool, pretty good

12. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

According to that thread, the albums are missing the 2004 bonus tracks :realmad:

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm on the fence about it. I want to the remixes and the summer show, but it's hard to think of this set without Poguetry In Motion.

I'm somewhat a Pogues completist.

Last I checked, it was around $54 to the US from Amazon UK (after subtracting VAT and adding shipping)

14. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Step 1: take 7 albums; sell
    Step 2: make compilation; sell again
    Step 3: add bonus tracks; sell again
    Step 4: make another compilation; sell again
    Step 5: remove bonus tracks; sell again
    Step 6: make another compilation; sell again
    Step 7: repackage in boxset; sell again
    Step 8: make another compilation; sell again
    Step 9: remix two, add live album, repackage in different boxset; sell again
    Step 10: go to 1

Imagine70 likes this.
  15. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The new 'RSD Joe Strummer with the Pogues double LP - do all the songs have Joe singing on them?

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

According to my quick count, of the 22 songs, there are 13 sung by Joe, 4 by Terry Woods, 2 by Andrew Ranken, 1 each by Philip Chevron and Spider Stacy, and 1 instrumental.

vonwegen likes this.
  17. I was on the fence about getting this considering that I have two Pogues releases with bonus tracks but the remixed albums and the Strummer album make this essential. I was waiting for a U.S. release but...I don't think that's likely considering how small their following is in the U.S. Got it for a good price besides now that I've bought it it will probably be reissued by Rhino or Shout with the bonus tracks from the 2004 remasters ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.