Pogues fans - what is your preferred version of 'A Rainy Night in Soho'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chronic kebab, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fabulous, poetic song but which version is your favourite?

2. thermal123

thermal123 Forum Resident

I first heard the Canadian version on import in the 80s on vinyl and was disappointed with every other version on digital until I finally got it on the boxset Just Look Them Straight in the Eye and Say....POGUE MAHONE!! The strings just seem to rock more on this version. According to wikipedia Shane McGowan and Elvis Costello fell out over the best version with Shane preferring the non oboe version. Personally I think Elvis was right....

DeeThomaz likes this.
  3. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Huh...I didn't realize that the version on the expanded Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash wasn't the same as the Poguetry In Motion version! All this time, I thought the three versions were as follows:

- Original release (expanded RS&L)
    - Oboe version (box set)
    - 1991 remix (expanded Hell's Ditch)

So does this mean that the version on the expanded RS&L was previously unreleased? Is the original EP version available on CD?

If I had to pick one to go to my desert island, I'd pick the version on the expanded RS&L...but I love them all!

4. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Actually I think the original poster is mistaken, and you are correct. I believe the RS&L bonus track is the original EP version. There has been some confusion because the 1991 remix (as on the expanded Hell's Ditch) isn't always labeled as such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.